Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

HDTV Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 04:47 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: HDTV Question

ORIGINAL: thndrlight

You CANNOT use S video or Composite(yellow) connections for HD. You need either component, DVI, HDMI. My projector is capable of only 1/4 HD and I currently use component cables and trust me, HD blows away regular tv or even DTV. Home Theater is my main hobby and what I spend most of my time doing. Depending on the length of you cables can really determine how expensive decent cables can be. Here is a link for a company that can custom make your length and are highly regarded in the Home Theater community. Monster cables are a rip off for the money btw.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/component/index.htm

YEP.....

Also...Some HDTVs to come with a tuner...mine did....but most do not. Mine is connected via component cables, generally that is the best connection to use.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Thanks for you help guys.. I have just seen some connectors that look like a printer hookup almost.. and know those are for HDTV, but wasnt sure if the "Y Pb Pr" connectors also work, or if they would downgrade the quality of signal

Old 02-18-2006, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: thndrlight

You CANNOT use S video or Composite(yellow) connections for HD. You need either component, DVI, HDMI. My projector is capable of only 1/4 HD and I currently use component cables and trust me, HD blows away regular tv or even DTV. Home Theater is my main hobby and what I spend most of my time doing. Depending on the length of you cables can really determine how expensive decent cables can be. Here is a link for a company that can custom make your length and are highly regarded in the Home Theater community. Monster cables are a rip off for the money btw.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/component/index.htm
Good call. It had been a couple years since I set up my dad's and I forgot exactly how I did it. Also right about Monster Cable being a rip off - unless you know a Best Buy employee. Still, don't buy cheap cable. I hear good things about Blue Jeans Cable though.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Administrator

so which of those connections gives the best results for HDTV???? Also what kind of HDTV tuners do you recommend? How do they pick up the signal? Antenna? or what?

Old 02-18-2006, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

DVI is the best (it's the one that "looks like a printer hookup almost"). If not that, there are other types, such as IEEE 1394 (Firewire), but you probably won't have those if you don't have DVI. After that, component (red, green, blue) would be the one to use.

As for tuners, most cable companies have a box you can rent for about $10 a month and will continually upgrade it for no extra charge. These generally have DVI or any other format you would want, but it gets more complicated if you like to run everything through a receiver like I do. You could still use DVI though, just not through the receiver. Depends on your setup really. Oh, and HDTV will be carried by your coaxial cables (antenna would degrade the signal). Good luck, and let me know if I'm confusing.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Thanks that makes sense!!

Old 02-22-2006, 12:32 PM

in order to view true hd you can only use the following cable types, component, DVI, or HDMI. Composite and S video are not HD but will work with hd devices. HDMI is the newest and best technology, then DVI. There is no difference in picture quality but HDMI is also able to carry uncompressed sound through the same cable. Both HDMI and DVI are uncompressed video (it stays in digital format). DVI with a seperate optical cable for sound is similiar to hdmi.