Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

HDTV Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 05:19 AM
Administrator
Default HDTV Question

Does anyone know what connectors HDTV uses? My projector is supposedly HDTV ready.. I was wondering if its the Component connectors.. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2006, 06:14 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: HDTV Question

If I understand it right, you could use composite, s-video, or component for HDTV; however, you need an HDTV source (you have to pay for it and have the corresponding tuner).

However, so as to not lose quality, you'll want to use the component (RGB) inputs on your projector. You'll definitely see the difference with HDTV and DVDs, but probably not as much with regular TV. Just don't spend too much on your cables.

Did I even answer your question?

Old 02-18-2006, 12:34 PM
4th Gear

^^What he said^^^

What most people don't know about HD is that you need a tuner, if not including in the tv, and real HD programming to watch. "HD ready" means that you need both.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: audi82

If I understand it right, you could use composite, s-video, or component for HDTV; however, you need an HDTV source (you have to pay for it and have the corresponding tuner).

However, so as to not lose quality, you'll want to use the component (RGB) inputs on your projector. You'll definitely see the difference with HDTV and DVDs, but probably not as much with regular TV. Just don't spend too much on your cables.

Did I even answer your question?

Are the RGB inputs just on projector t.v.'s? I have a plasma with HD and I just have the HD connections hooked up.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:51 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: cary12

Are the RGB inputs just on projector t.v.'s?

No. Those connects are on a lot of tvs now. Do you know what type of inputs your "HD connections" are?

Old 02-18-2006, 12:55 PM
3rd Gear

I just looked and I'm just using the RCA connections? (Green, Blue and Red) My t.v. has the RGB also. Should I hook that up as well? I can't see where the HD would be any better, since it's amazing already but I'll do anything to make it even better?

How much are the RGB cables?

Old 02-18-2006, 01:01 PM
4th Gear

They aren't that much, but to tell you the truth I've forgotten which is the optimal set of inputs to use. I think that it may vary from setup to setup. You may already have yours just the way it should be.

Old 02-18-2006, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

You CANNOT use S video or Composite(yellow) connections for HD. You need either component, DVI, HDMI. My projector is capable of only 1/4 HD and I currently use component cables and trust me, HD blows away regular tv or even DTV. Home Theater is my main hobby and what I spend most of my time doing. Depending on the length of you cables can really determine how expensive decent cables can be. Here is a link for a company that can custom make your length and are highly regarded in the Home Theater community. Monster cables are a rip off for the money btw.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/component/index.htm

Old 02-18-2006, 04:14 PM
3rd Gear

I have really good cables for my HD. I too can say HD is better than any other technology. I have a Philips 50 inch plasma monitor and a Yamaha 6 speaker home theater system. The only question I had with my home theater was why the reciever only has one output for RCA to the sub but the sub has right and left RCA inputs? Any ideas? I just have the RCA coming out of the reciever and into the right input on the woofer.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

Some subs have a stereo pass through for some reason, but most recievers only have one mono output to the sub since in surround sound the sub is a mono channel, thus the .1 in 5.1. The way you have it hooked up should be fine.

Quick Reply: HDTV Question