Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Hazet and Stahlwile sockets

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Default Hazet and Stahlwile sockets

I have been trying to find accurate information about the German made Hazet and Stahlwille sockets, but cannot find them in any local stores (its mail order only for me).

I was told that ANSI had to extend the lower end range of their specs to include the German DIN/ISO standard, so I thought of maybe getting some, but only if I would feel a noticeable difference in fit.

So, what I want to know is if the Hazet or Stahlwille sockets have a fit/tolerance that is noticeably tighter/lower than the American tool truck brands?

When I look at the pics, all I see is what everyone else shows, a half circle shaped relief are in the corners for 6 point sockets, and a series of S shaped curves for the 12 point sockets. So what, everyone has that. Actually, I'm not sure if it an artist rendition or a pic, but some of the German sockets look like they don't have a relief area.

Also, one more question, is the Stahlwille brand or any of the high end German brands better in the smaller drives size 1/4" or in 12 points? In 1998, Stahlwille used to promote two types of sockets, regular quality "AS Drive"; and HPQ (high performance quality) in their Metric, 1/4 drive, deep, 12 point, cadmium free sockets. Now all their sockets are supposedly cadmium free and high performance. So, maybe that was just a marketing ploy at the time to squeeze out some extra bucks from the aircraft techs.

diyer