Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

gun n00b looking for handgun advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 01:50 AM
3rd Gear
Default gun n00b looking for handgun advice

so for awhile now I've been wanting to get into shooting. But I don't really know what I'm looking for. I just spent some time looking at all the glocks. The ones that interested me where the compact versions for all the different ammos (9mm, 45, 357, etc). I mean the protection aspect of it wouldn't hurt either, but mostly I just wanna get out to the range to have a grood time.

Just looking for suggestions as to brands, types, what caliber, etc...

Old 07-14-2007, 04:41 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: gun n00b looking for handgun advice

Damn NJ gun laws.

Your best bet is to go to the range and try a few out. Keep in mind the larger the caliber, the more expensive the bullets. Any gun is useful for protection.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:00 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Not 'any' gun is useful for protection! You don't want to use anything smaller than a 9mm (.380) with the exception of .357. A .25ACP is so weak people have been known to just walk away from it.

But with that said, and being a bit of a handgun nut, I can offer some valuable advice without being an ***! W00t! If you're looking for a first gun that is good to carry, fun to play with (plinking at the range) won't break the bank, uses cheap ammo, and is so reliable it's not even funny, try a Beretta 9000s in 9mm. I have the .40 F type, and it's a blast. It comes in .40, and 9mm, the 9mm having less recoil and is much easier to control since it only has a 3.4 inch barrel. It's a fairly heavy gun, but it's slide design and weight all add to it's controlability. Also, it's available in two varients, the F type which features a manual decocker, slide safety, and external hammer. The D type is a hammerless model that features a manual decocker and no safety. I would suggest getting a gun equipped with a frame or slide safety as your first gun. My SW99 has no safety so when it is loaded, it's always ready to go.

Action is very important to consider, too. The majority of pistols are D/SA (double/single action,) while revolvers are often available in either double action, or single action. A double action gun is when the trigger pull will **** the hammer and then release it in one single stroke. Single action is when the hammer has to be manually cocked, and all the trigger does is release it. A single action gun is perfect for the range when you have time and you're looking for the most accuracy, but in the real world, double action is much faster. A D/SA gun is reserved for automatic pistols, when the first trigger pull will **** the hammer and then drop it, but then when the slide blows back the hammer will be automatically cocked for the next round. D/SA guns also have the advantage of being cocked when you chamber a round, and can often (but not always) stay cocked when the safety is on. My Beretta 92fs (the one in my avatar pic) decocks itself when you put the safety on, however my 9000s stays ready to rock even with the safety on.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT get a 1911 as a carry piece. I am not saying they are bad guns, they are just not a good carry gun due to their complex safety and single action only firing mechanism. Stay away from revolvers, too. They are so much fun to target shoot and to hunt with, but they are much wider than a pistol, have limited ammo, take longer to reload and are often less accurate (if they are DA.)

The safety is also very important, you want a gun that is only going to go of when you really f*cking want it to. My Berettas feature a firing pin lockout that makes it so the firing pin will move only if the trigger is fully pulled. That way if I somehow fumble my gun, or get hit and drop it, it cannot accidentally discharge.

My advice is to find a gun store with an indoor range and try a few out. Oh, and don't ever let anyone tell you that .380 (9mm) and .38 Special are the same thing.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:40 AM
3rd Gear

Hey, thanks for the great advice. I'll def consider what you've said. What are your opinions on the Glock Subcompacts? http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

Old 07-14-2007, 10:10 AM
4th Gear

Igot gun fever like youa couple years ago and went out and bought a Rugger .40 s&w. I like the gun alot but Ido prefer my friends Beretta 9mm for just pop'n rounds off at the range. I was hearing too many neg. about the glock's when searching for a gun to even consider it. Plus I prefer the major parts of my gun to be made of steel not plastic. If you got the money Sig's are great gunsthat will not disapoint.

Really your best bet is to rent a few guns at the range and see what works best for you.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:25 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Glock guns. But, they are good, solid, reliable gun and they have nice compact ones. The 26 and 27 are so small, they need a finger extention just so your pinky isn't floating in the air! My Beretta 9000s is like that, but I got a mag extention so I can use fullsize Beretta 96 mags. I think you can do that with the Glocks, too. And plus, they are an Austrian gun company, and right next Germany! Where our Audi's came from and also my Walther.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Zombie Defense Force

i want a 1911 in .45 or a .50cal deagle lol

Old 07-14-2007, 10:38 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

DEAR GOD NO. Please, for the love of all things holy, don't EVER say 'deagle' again. That's what 14 year old airsoft n00bs say, and it infuriates me almost as much as when people call magazines 'clips'

Old 07-14-2007, 11:24 PM
4th Gear

Lol, good read

Old 07-15-2007, 12:43 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Guns are kinda my thing

Quick Reply: gun n00b looking for handgun advice