Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

GP of China

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:47 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: GP of China

After careful pondering, I came with 2 positive moments for Schumacher and 1 negative for Senna

Here we go,

Schumacher:

Nurburgring '94 or '95 -- (sorry don't remember, but Alesi was leading the race, Schumi in 2nd, 16 secs behind with about 5 laps to go... he passed Alesi on the last lap to win at his home GP, well it wasn't the German GP but I think Schumi grew up a couple of miles from the Nurburgring)

Barcelona '96 -- (first victory for a very unreliable Ferrari at the time, heavy rain, won by almost a full minute)

now on to Senna,

Monza '88 -- (leading the race on the way to victory, while attempting to pass a back-marker Jean-Louis Schlesser of Williams, they collided, taking them both out, ending McLaren's perfect season, but 15 out of 16 ain't bad)

ORIGINAL: midohioguy

wow, that is sick. they're about 1 foot from driving into the harbor and have absolutely no barrier to speak of.
Yeah no wonder that back in the day if a driver lived to see his 40s, it was miracle.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:55 PM
2nd Gear

schumi's best drives from itv:

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?T...es&PO_ID=37231

i was only 11 when senna died, but i remember watching the race that morning when i got done w/ my paper route! i don't remember much from that time, but that race has always stood out to me.

this has been a very fun discussion thread!

Old 10-02-2006, 06:06 PM
4th Gear

Yeah, I like talking F1.

Now if they would just allow turbos and racing slicks again!

Can you imagine the lap times then?

Old 10-02-2006, 06:37 PM
2nd Gear

oh man, that would be amazing! i would think they would go to slicks next year, since they are only having one tire supplier it would be a good time to make the change.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:46 PM
4th Gear

I hope you are right. Making those cars run on grooved tires is just wrong. Those drivers are big boys. They can handle going fast.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:52 PM
2nd Gear

Nuvolari you certainly seem like a knowledgable person when it comes to F1...

But I absolutely disagree with what your saying... If what your saying is that Michael Schumacher doesn't belong with the greats because of some he's not been challenged.. That's insane.. Mind you I not a huge Schumacher fan but I can give credit where credit is due....

I believe this whole heartedly that drivers of the old era are phenoms, and are all more badass just because of the condition they raced in.. Such as the video you show'd..... BUT...... The other drivers of there era had the same basic equipment/safety/performance guidelines..

But for Schumacher to be able to drive a F1 car of the new era at the top level consistantly for over a decade is incredible.. Bro you need to take off your tard goggles, and realize what your saying... regradless of competion his ability to not faulter under pressure. To lose as he did last season, and not cry about but say we'll be better next year. To come out this season losing the first half dozen races.. Then pull his buckles tight, and tie the championship.. His insane ability to win, is something I'll remember for-ever.. As I am a young man at 23 years old, and he's dominated almost the whole time I've been an F1 fan.. You may but I certainly will not forget him anytime soon, nor do I see many others walking in your steps of forgetfulness.

So bottom line bro just cause he has out driven OUR favorite drivers seemingly every week for over that decade I mentioned before. Does'nt mean you should discard him as what he is " The Winningest Driver in F1 History".

Old 10-02-2006, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear

did you notice that schumacher was running w/o those black rear wheel discs today in his last stint? why do you think his last set of bridgestones did not have them?
Hey M.O.G I went back, and checked it out on TiVo.. I have no Idea why they changed that. But it certainly raises the question.. What the heck are the really for...???

Old 10-02-2006, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

they apparently make the car a tad more aero friendly. however, i'm guessing they put them all on rain/intermediate tires and when they made the swith to dry tires they had not placed the discs on them b/c they probably thought they would not be used in the race. they can't make much of a difference, or else everyone would have them at this point. they are pretty ugly though.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:40 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: CluTcH/B5

Nuvolari you certainly seem like a knowledgable person when it comes to F1...

But I absolutely disagree with what your saying... If what your saying is that Michael Schumacher doesn't belong with the greats because of some he's not been challenged.. That's insane.. Mind you I not a huge Schumacher fan but I can give credit where credit is due....

I believe this whole heartedly that drivers of the old era are phenoms, and are all more badass just because of the condition they raced in.. Such as the video you show'd..... BUT...... The other drivers of there era had the same basic equipment/safety/performance guidelines..

But for Schumacher to be able to drive a F1 car of the new era at the top level consistantly for over a decade is incredible.. Bro you need to take off your tard goggles, and realize what your saying... regradless of competion his ability to not faulter under pressure. To lose as he did last season, and not cry about but say we'll be better next year. To come out this season losing the first half dozen races.. Then pull his buckles tight, and tie the championship.. His insane ability to win, is something I'll remember for-ever.. As I am a young man at 23 years old, and he's dominated almost the whole time I've been an F1 fan.. You may but I certainly will not forget him anytime soon, nor do I see many others walking in your steps of forgetfulness.

So bottom line bro just cause he has out driven OUR favorite drivers seemingly every week for over that decade I mentioned before. Does'nt mean you should discard him as what he is " The Winningest Driver in F1 History".
Thank you for comments, I am also 23 years old like yourself, have been watching F1 races with my dad on TV ever since I could remember. I'll agree with you in that Schumacher is great driver, but he's not the best ever as some have suggested, if you go by records, yes he is the best of all time, and no I will not take off my sweet *** "tard goggles" [8D]

As far as the lack of competition issue I brought up, I think that holds true. If Schumacher competed in the 80s, he wouldn't have won as many races, he would've been among the elite drivers, but not THE best driver. I believe Schumacher is significant somewhat, I mean, IMO I think he revived Ferrari. Do any of you remember how horribly unreliable Ferrari's were back in the 80's/90's (except for '89 and '90)? I remember watching races trying to decide which Ferrari would breakdown first lol because it was inevitable. Starting from 2000 season, Schumacher's first championship triumph with Ferrari, to 2005, that's 105 GPs, you can count on one hand how many times Schumi had mechanical difficulties, most of which were in '05. So the fact that you combine the best driver out there with the best car out there, you will win a lot of races. With that in mind, now why would Ferrari "kick" him out to the curb? Because I honestly don't think he retired under his terms, he probably could've easily gone another year or two with them.

And finally, I hope Eddie Jordan's rumor that Schumi may partner up with VW/Audi in F1 will hold true, that would be a dream come true to see an Audi team in F1.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:26 PM
2nd Gear

Audi in F1!! Yes, please.

And i agree, if Michael competed in the 80's he certainly would not have won as many races. He has been the best driver in the best car for most of his career, but should be credited with turning around ferrari so he was able to have the best car.

Quick Reply: GP of China