Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

GP of China

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:19 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: GP of China

yeah, i think two or three tire companies would be ideal. i really hope they never run that split wing! awful.

i don't know if somebody in london would wake up early to watch a us or canadian race. what you have to remember is there are only 3 races in this time zone every year. so it's not a significant portion of the schedule. i think the real fans, like you or me, would watch the race no matter what time it is on.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:22 PM
2nd Gear

i think the real fans, like you or me, would watch the race no matter what time it is on.

WORD!!!!

Old 10-01-2006, 11:32 PM
2nd Gear

Your right about there's less races over on this big hunk of land mass, as there is over on their chunk of land. Would make it more tolerable.

Though I've got to admit I love TiVo. I would'nt have watched as many races this year if I did'nt have it.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

Does anyone here remember watching F1 races in the 80's and early 90's? F1 these days seems to be so predictable and boring...

And as far as saying Schumacher is the "greatest", well sorry to break it to ya, he's not... Yes, he holds almost every record in F1 (except for Riccardo Patrese's career starts), BUT he doesn't have that charisma and heroic status that some former champions have. Since you people don't like mentioning Senna (I am a Senna fan btw) I'll use another example... Nigel Mansell has a single world title, yet I personally consider him, one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time, and I'm sure true F1 purists would agree with me on this. Now why is Mansell, one world championship, 33 career victories, better than Schumacher, seven world championships, 91 career victories? The answer is very simple, competition. Mansell competed in the golden era of F1, some of the greatest drivers of all time were his main competitors, Prost, Senna, Lauda, Piquet. Now Schumacher, c'mon he has it easy, he is the best driver out there bar none, his competitors are not even in his league (Alonso is choking under pressure, and Raikkonen, well he's a formidable driver, it's just that his McLaren always seems to let him down). I'm done with this discussion, I gotta get some work done [:@], but I'll leave you with this quote from newly retired Jacques Villeneuve...

In an interview to be published next week in F1 Racing magazine, Villeneuve said: "I think the problem is that you don't ever see his true personality.

"He's a racer - but a pure racer, nothing but a racer and, because of that, I think the day he hangs up his helmet people will just forget him.

"Senna, by contrast, will never be forgotten. Some of that is the James Dean factor, of course, because he was killed in action at a young age, but not all of it.

"I don't even think Michael will live on in people's memories as strong or as long as [Alain] Prost has - certainly not as strong or as long as [Nigel] Mansell has.

"Those people attained a hero status that Michael never has and never will."

To see the full article, BBC Sport

Old 10-02-2006, 12:50 PM
4th Gear

Some people are always "yearning for the good 'ol days" back when "things were real" and racers were personality filled heroes. Blah blah blah. Senna has a HUGE James Dean factor. It's so big that they should change the name from James Dean factor to Senna factor.

Villeneuve is a bitter old(by F1 standards) hack that could never cut it after his early successes. If he wants to show how he is better than MS, then he should beat him in a race sometime. Maybe he can use his charming personality to help him qualify on the front row.

People will be talking about the complete dominance of F1 by MS for decades. It will be like when people refer to Micheal Jordan and the NBA. What no one will remember is this Villeneuve interview.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

I will tell you the 4 things I'll remember about Schumacher...
Adelaide '94 ("accidentally" drove into Hill to take the title)
Jerez '97 ("accidentally" tried to push off Villeneuve, only to end up damaging his car, and losing the title, that was great btw lol)
Austria '02 (make the spineless, gutless Barrichello move over in the last lap to hand him a win, although he did return the favor in USGP that same year)
Monaco '06 ("accidentally" making a mistake at Rascasse [] at the end of qualifying to prevent Alonso from completing his flying lap)

Now about the "other mortals" when compared to the "godly" Schumacher, here's a few that come to mind...

Senna -- Monaco '84 (rains of biblical proportions, passed Lauda, and was about pass Prost when the race was red flaged... in retrospect, Prost should've let him pass he would've had 6 pt. (full points for 2nd place) while the winner would've had 4.5 pts (half points for 1st in a half race)
Senna -- Estoril '85 (first career victory, pouring rain, traction control was his right foot)
Senna -- Jerez '86 (closest finish in F1 history with Mansell on his tail, 0.014s
Senna -- Suzuka '88 (IMO, his best race ever, starting from pole as always, but the car dies at the start quickly dropping him to 16th place, then a light rain came, and the rest is history, passing Prost on lap 27 and winning by almost 10 secs)
Senna -- Suzuka '89 (might have been a precipitous move on his part trying to pass Prost at the casio triangle, but I think Prost did contribute to that incident also)
Senna -- Suzuka '90 (yes, he did take out Prost, just like he said he would've, lol)
Senna -- Brazil '91 (wins in 6th gear, he didn't have 4th or 5th gear)
Senna -- Donnigton '93 (5 cars in one lap, including the "rainmeister" himself, the great Schumi)

Mansell -- British '87 (incredible win at home, he made up 30 secs in 30 laps on his teammate Piquet)
Mansell -- Hungary '89 (came from 12th on the grid to win on the very difficult to pass Hungaroring)

Prost, no specific memorable moments that I can think of, besides his battles with Senna, all in all, perhaps the one greatest driver of all time top 3 definately... Fangio, Senna, Prost, and next to them probably Schumacher, just to make you all happy lol

Old 10-02-2006, 02:10 PM
2nd Gear

hey man, i'm with you, i do think senna is the best, though he does have the dean factor working for him. however, i would probably rate michael second or third. you can't ignore him and i don't think it does him justice to only bring up the extremely controversial "incidents" that everyone remembers. i'm sure we could look at senna, mansell, fangio, clark, stewart, etc. and find many faults with them as well.

maybe we should have everyone list their top 5 all time drivers:

senna
fangio
schumi
prost
stewart

i know, i know, hard to compare eras and all that and none of us have actually seen fangio race, but there it is.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Nuvolari

I will tell you the 4 things I'll remember about Schumacher...
Adelaide '94 ("accidentally" drove into Hill to take the title)
Jerez '97 ("accidentally" tried to push off Villeneuve, only to end up damaging his car, and losing the title, that was great btw lol)
Austria '02 (make the spineless, gutless Barrichello move over in the last lap to hand him a win, although he did return the favor in USGP that same year)
Monaco '06 ("accidentally" making a mistake at Rascasse [] at the end of qualifying to prevent Alonso from completing his flying lap)

Prost, no specific memorable moments that I can think of, besides his battles with Senna, all in all, perhaps the one greatest driver of all time top 3 definately... Fangio, Senna, Prost, and next to them probably Schumacher, just to make you all happy lol
I saw that run down of MS's sins in F1 mag too after Monaco. They just don't overshadow his dominance of the field that he has had for years. I'm with you on the "team orders"/move over Barricello deal though. That was a bad day for F1. However, that was not up to MS. That was a business decision, and a poor one at that.

Thanks for putting MS close to your top 3 just for me. You should probably get used to seeing those names all together now for the rest of our lives, although maybe not in the order you put them.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: midohioguy

hey man, i'm with you, i do think senna is the best, though he does have the dean factor working for him. however, i would probably rate michael second or third. you can't ignore him and i don't think it does him justice to only bring up the extremely controversial "incidents" that everyone remembers. i'm sure we could look at senna, mansell, fangio, clark, stewart, etc. and find many faults with them as well.

maybe we should have everyone list their top 5 all time drivers:

senna
fangio
schumi
prost
stewart

i know, i know, hard to compare eras and all that and none of us have actually seen fangio race, but there it is.
Nice selection midohioguy, I would've gone this way:

Fangio
Senna
Prost
Schumi
Clark

And just to say no one has seen Fangio racing, here it is...1957 Monaco GP, winner Juan Manuel Fangio (Maserati)

Those guys were nuts!!

Old 10-02-2006, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear

wow, that is sick. they're about 1 foot from driving into the harbor and have absolutely no barrier to speak of.

Quick Reply: GP of China