Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

GP of China

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 06:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: GP of China

ok, so we're saying the same thing, it was '04, the year before tire gate. i gotcha. i just renewed my seats for next year. it will be weird w/ no schumi.

did you notice that schumacher was running w/o those black rear wheel discs today in his last stint? why do you think his last set of bridgestones did not have them?

Old 10-01-2006, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear

you know I didn't notice that... I'll have to check my TiVo.... Thats crazy...

What do Midohiodude what do you think of Kubica(bmw driver).?. I think he's got a good chance (if he stays with a good team) to be the next big F1 star... Not even gonna say the next Schumi, but certainly something big...

Old 10-01-2006, 08:22 PM
2nd Gear

i think he looks extremely impressive. the way he held off massa at monza in the final laps was amazing, in only his third grand prix! he's certainly overshadowed heidfeld since he came on board, other than today when they put slicks on his car too early. it should be interesting to see how the two compete next year, though i don't think they've announced he has the full time ride next year. i think sebastian vettel will go to gp2 next year and will probably join kubica on a very young, but impressive, team in 2008.

with alonso, my favorite driver, going to mclaren next year, a team i don't like, i think bmw will be my team to root for next year. along with renault as well, though i don't think fisi shold be a #1 driver.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear

Your an Alonso fan.... Booo!!! all F1 drivers seem full of themselves but Alonso takes it to the next level...... I didn't hear him once truly talk about his team... Much less thank them.. I think your right about Fisi.. They should give that ride to Scott Speed... HMMM interesting thought...

Honda is my Team.. But this year because of what I said^^^^ I been cheering for Schumacher.. As he's the likely canidate to beat Alonso..

But next year If BMW keeps Kubica, esp if the have him as there #1 driver.. I think they "could" be a contender..

But I always root for Scott Speed.. But I think we as a country should really try to get A.J. Allmendinger into a F1 ride. He's doing very well against some former F1 drivers, in the Champ Car series.. Those cars are all very similar too, show driver skill.IMO

Old 10-01-2006, 09:01 PM
2nd Gear

i like scott speed, but can't stand to hear him interviewed. he sounds like a moron!

i agree with you on alonso, he thinks quite highly of himself these days. i guess that happens if you win a world title. but scott speed going to renault? come on man, that's never going to happen!

i also like allmendinger, but definitely don't see him going to f1. he would be much more likely to go to nascar, as he is testing a truck now and is signed up to run some races next year. if he was going to f1, he would have had to leave for europe when he was done in atlantics to race in gp2. i think graham rahal and marco andretti are much more likely to go. i think they both might be in gp2 in 2008. after rahal drives in champ car for a year and after marco gets one more year of experience in indy car.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:11 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: midohioguy

i get excited when i actually find people to talk f1 with. i have one buddy that follows it pretty closely, but everyone else i know is like "is that just like nascar?"
I've only got one friend that is into F1 at all too. Everyone else is like "They race in Malaysia?"

The US does need a better rep than Scott Speed. He's in a crappy car now, but I'm not sure that any team would make up for the talent gap there. If Kubica went to McLaren with Alonso for next year, I think that would be the team to beat. Pretty long shot on that though.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear

Oh I know Scotts likely to never see a seat at Renault... But would be crazy.. It would be cool to have an Andretti back in F1..

Man why are there so few of us F1 fans it's amazing stuff to watch.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:51 PM
4th Gear

Well, if they had a contract with network tv(in the US), that would help. Speed is in "extended cable" packages instead of basic too, I think.

More passing would help too. Supposedly, they are redesigning the rear wings for '08 and that will make it possible for more drafting/passing.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear

yeah, i think speed is only in extended packages, though it is expanding. i almost like that not that many people really pay attention to it. it's kind of like my own thing to follow i guess. with the time that the races are ususally on, mostly 7 am in europe or 12-2 am if they are in the pacific rim, i don't think it will ever be that big in the us. but the people that do follow it are experts and usually are very interesting to talk to. as oppose to nascar, where many of the fans don't really know what's going on. they just watch b/c their friends do.

i would love to see kubica go to mclaren, but i think bmw realizes how valuable he is and will make sure to keep him around. i would guess they probably have as much money to spend as toyota and honda.

i'm not so sure they actually need to really re-design anything for more passing. i'm happy with the sport as it is. and all these technically regulations coming the next few years will dumb it down slightly. i just want to make sure it doesn't turn to a spec series like indy or champ car. by the way, have you seen the proposed split rear wing for '08? it is so ugly! i think modren f1 cars are amazing to look at, and these would really ruin that effect.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear

I don't think they'll be running the split wing anytime soon thank goodness..

I'm courious do you think Europeans/Asians stay up late to watch an North/South American race...?

I agree it's sad but it seems already like they're trying to make it more a spec car... 1 tire choice next year BRIDGESTONEs only.. I want more tire selects.. Pirelli, Yokohama, ext... Look at Le Mans how many tires manufactures can they choose from.. Though it seems Michelin has the tire to beat.

Quick Reply: GP of China