Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Got Insurance??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Administrator
Default Got Insurance??

Damn just read on BMWCCA that PEMCO actually cancelled one guys entire policy for having Safety Harnesses in his car.. they said they didnt allow any racing equipment what so ever, and even though he wasnt racing, they still cancelled.. makes you wonder if your insurance will cover you if you have any mods done to your car?!?!?!

You never know, they may be diks enough to say, nope you have an aftermarket ECU, or a boost guage, that is racing equipment

Old 02-04-2007, 08:07 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Got Insurance??

wow, never heard of anything like that before.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Seems that most insurance companies are switching to the clause of "if you ever take your vehicle on any surface that was designed for racing" your fukked!!

Old 02-04-2007, 08:33 PM

That is rediculous! I've never heard of anything like that...I think I am going to call my insurance co.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

seeing as how much we end up paying for insurance, on average, they should cut us some slack

Old 02-05-2007, 02:01 AM
Administrator

Your best bet is to just ask for a copy of the policy and read through it..

Old 02-05-2007, 04:06 AM
18T
4th Gear

thats pretty scary. good thing the only visible thing on my car is my boost gauge which i can rip out rather quickly.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: qUaTtRoA4

That is rediculous! I've never heard of anything like that...I think I am going to call my insurance co.
Don't call your insurance! What they don't know wont hurt them. If you call them, they may start to ask some questions. And Audi owners don't lie. And I can smoke all for tires in all five gears with my Tip.[8D]

Old 02-05-2007, 05:37 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Redgoat

Damn just read on BMWCCA that PEMCO actually cancelled one guys entire policy for having Safety Harnesses in his car.. they said they didnt allow any racing equipment what so ever
That's jacked up. My insurance actually gave me a break on thepremium for the RX-7 because of the roll cage and the five-points.It's just like when you have theft coverage, if you park in the garage or install a serious alarm, they give you a break on the premiumsbecause the car is less likely to be stolen and therefore makes it less likely that they'll have to pay out, so when you have equipment that helps prevent injury, it makes it less likely that they'll have topay as much or at all foryour personal injuries in the event of a crash.

ORIGINAL: Redgoat

and even though he wasnt racing,
Oh, well that's why they cancelled him, because he's a ******* ricer. Who puts a racing harness in a car they're not racing? Lhew-zhers. And if he put in a 4 or 5 point and didn't have a roll bar or cage, then he's more likely to be injured. Neverput harnesses in a car without roll-over protection. If you roll it and the roof comes in, that harness will ensure that your body can't move to the side and you canpretty much bet on your death. With a regular belt in a roll-over, there's a chance that your body will be able to slide to the side with the impact and be out of the way of the roof when it comes in, but not with harnesses.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:17 PM
4th Gear

Wish I could find the local article - but around a year ago some nitwit in a olderAcura Integra coupe- can't recall what year- installed a 5 point racing seat incorrectly. Seems he didn't know that the two shoulder straps were to be fastened to theframe, subframeor an anchor point behind the seat. Instead he achored it tothe back of the seat itself. Same with the center as well. Not only that - but the fitment was for a larger car and he modified the base to fit the Acura.

One rainy night he lost control and hit a concrete wall offset from the front - spinning the vehicle - the impact snapped the jury rigged mounts with thatand the spin itlaunched the seat out the side window - him securely in it - over a 120 ft embankment. His torso was the only part of him intact when it was found at the bottom. Another 20ft and the Kern river would have carried that away at least another couple of miles... [:'(]

Wonder what his insurance settled for - that is if he actually had any...

Quick Reply: Got Insurance??