Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Going Vegetarian?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Default RE: Going Vegetarian?

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

im a veggy eater to then

Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Site Moderator

Just don't go vegan, all the vegans i have ever met are out of thier minds crazy. I think the vegies messes up the common sense part of the brain LOL.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
4th Gear

I think meat-atarian suits you boys better.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

In all seriousness, you really shouldn't go vegan/vegetarian, it's not exactly healthy. But why are you wanting to go vegetarian, ifyou don't mind me asking?After a while, you get hella skinny. A girl I go to school with is a vegan and has to be careful when she goes outside when it's windy, she might blow away (not really, but she is very very thin). You are relying on one food group to nourish your body. You must consume the right amount of calories (I have apparently consumed too many), protein especially, fats, sugars, etc. If you are looking to get healthy, cut out fast food all together, I mean don't even look at a Mickey D's or BK. Drink water or natural juicesopposed to sodas. Pick up a gym membership and start weight/cardio training. Look forworkout guidelines, like from colleges for football teams. I'm telling you this works, I am a 6' 300lb Defensive End for my school. We use a workout from the Husker's lifting program, the best I have ever experienced. We only went 2 hours a day, 3 times a week for about 3 months. I lost fat, gained a whole lotta muscle, and the ladies liked it. You get hard in those flabby places and just feel a whole lot better from becoming fit. I went into the program benching around 410lbs (background lifting, that's why it is so high), and came out benching 450lbs. I squatted 550lbs in the beginning and finished squatting 600lbs. But, you do really need careful diet planning. Some of my friends wanted to try it and their parents wouldn't let them think about it before they saw a doctor, maybe you should do that. If you are opposed to eating meat, look into meat substitutes like Tofu. IMO, I would rather eat the way that has been proved to be efficient. My proof is whenever you happen to see any documentary about animals, the predator/carnivore seems to always dominate the prey/herbivore, with a fewexceptions. You can do whatever you want, I'm just putting in my own Two Cents but is sorta sounds like more than that, around Four Cents lol. Remember careful planning is the key to staying on this diet track.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

i think if you're gonna go vegiterian, and i mean TRUE VEGITERIAN.....you have to do daily meditation poses to rid your body of the free radicals

Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Administrator

thats wat i am affraid of, losing alot of weight and health issues, but i have been replacing my servings of meat wit grains, veggie and fruits, if anything im eating more food now in the past few days

im tryin to cut down on fats and sodium but im not tryin to lose wieght

ORIGINAL: ShoreBoy725

In all seriousness, you really shouldn't go vegan/vegetarian, it's not exactly healthy. But why are you wanting to go vegetarian, ifyou don't mind me asking?After a while, you get hella skinny. A girl I go to school with is a vegan and has to be careful when she goes outside when it's windy, she might blow away (not really, but she is very very thin). You are relying on one food group to nourish your body. You must consume the right amount of calories (I have apparently consumed too many), protein especially, fats, sugars, etc. If you are looking to get healthy, cut out fast food all together, I mean don't even look at a Mickey D's or BK. Drink water or natural juicesopposed to sodas. Pick up a gym membership and start weight/cardio training. Look forworkout guidelines, like from colleges for football teams. I'm telling you this works, I am a 6' 300lb Defensive End for my school. We use a workout from the Husker's lifting program, the best I have ever experienced. We only went 2 hours a day, 3 times a week for about 3 months. I lost fat, gained a whole lotta muscle, and the ladies liked it. You get hard in those flabby places and just feel a whole lot better from becoming fit. I went into the program benching around 410lbs (background lifting, that's why it is so high), and came out benching 450lbs. I squatted 550lbs in the beginning and finished squatting 600lbs. But, you do really need careful diet planning. Some of my friends wanted to try it and their parents wouldn't let them think about it before they saw a doctor, maybe you should do that. If you are opposed to eating meat, look into meat substitutes like Tofu. IMO, I would rather eat the way that has been proved to be efficient. My proof is whenever you happen to see any documentary about animals, the predator/carnivore seems to always dominate the prey/herbivore, with a fewexceptions. You can do whatever you want, I'm just putting in my own Two Cents but is sorta sounds like more than that, around Four Cents lol. Remember careful planning is the key to staying on this diet track.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:41 PM
4th Gear

Last time I checked carbs, fruit, veggies, dairy, protein, and fats/sugars were the food groups.
Please tell me how a vegetarian diet is relying on only one food group.
I do however agree with you that caloric intake needs to be monitored.
But isn't that a part of any good diet?
You can get plenty of complete proteins without eating red meats. Like I said before nuts, beans, fish, legumes, tofu... all complete proteins.

Just pulled out my nutrition book...

"The RDA recommends that we take in 0.36 grams of protein per pound that we weigh.
This recommendation includes a generous safety factor for most people.
When we make a few adjustments to account for some plant proteins being digested somewhat differently from animal proteins and for the amino acid mix in some plant proteins, we arrive at a level of 0.45 grams of protein per pound that we weigh. Since vegans eat a variety of plant protein sources, somewhere between 0.8 and 1 gram of protein per kilogram would be a protein recommendation for vegans.
Protein recommendation for vegans amounts to close to 10% of calories coming from protein. (For example, a 175 lb vegan male aged 25 to 50 years could have an estimated calorie requirement of 2900 calories per day. His protein needs might be as high as 79 kg x 1 gram/kg = 79 grams of protein. 79 grams of protein x 4 calories/gram of protein = 316 calories from protein per day. 316 calories from protein divided by 2900 calories = 10.1% of calories from protein.) If we look at what vegans are eating, we find that between 10-12% of calories come from protein 3. This contrasts with the protein intake of non-vegetarians, which is close to 14-18% of calories."
To sum all of ^that^ up, it appears that vegan diets are commonly lower in protein than standard American diets.
Remember though with protein, more than the recommended dietary allowance is not necessarily better.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

I come to this site daily and read the off topic threads and this is something I like to place input in. I feel it is a very noble thing to go vegetarian. They say you are what you eat and blah blah blah. But what I was told is that people whom stray from meats seem to have higher energy, despite the scientific world claiming that we get more energy from protein of meats and so forth.

I myself stopped eating many things. To the point, the only meats left for me are chicken and fish. And I think those might fly out the window in the near future also. Maybe. I am actually about to have some fish for dinner. But yeah, I stopped eating all other meats. But not just that. I stopped eating all dairy (some things can slide like breads with milk ingredients. but I do not deliberately eat dairy. I hated giving up the instant mashed potatoes. especially with cheddar cheese. Idaho Potatoes)also, no juices, soda, etc. I can not list what I do not eat for it is waaayyyy too much. So, I will list that which I do.

1. water (only thing I drink and it has to be Poland Spring. If I am out somewhere and they do not have it, then I will suffice with whatever is around as long as it is spring water)

2. Meats-chicken & fish

3. veggies (but only lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, green beans, spinach, corn, potatoes, and maybe 2 more I can not think of right now but will eat in near future)

4. fruits-nature's candy (what more can I say!)

*Yep, that's it. No candy, cakes, sweets, etc.

**I donate blood and my cholesterol dropped from like 180 to 130 since I stopped beef maybe 6 months ago (they give us our health charts in mail)

Congradulations on the decision. One of the greatest you will make. Hope you stick to it (the diet).

Peace!

Old 11-28-2007, 10:10 PM
4th Gear

Goodluck with that. I can't go 48 hours without the craving. I understand the healthy diet thing but I still believe going completely vegan is backwards. Humans evolved from planting eaters to top of the food chain omnivores. I'm generalizing here...So you feel very strongly about cruelty to animals, the environment, or just prefer the taste of a nutrient lacking plant. Awesome, that doesn't justify undoing thousands of years of evolution. Meat is good for the body, like everything else, too much of it will kill you. Simple, eat in moderation. That's my .02ยข

Please, no one start with the evolutionism vs creationism crap.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

I've been a vegetarian all my life. (For me, No dead animals of any kind, but eggs, dairy, honey, etc. are ok)

It's easier than you might think. You don't even need soymilk or tofu if you don't like them.

Shoreboy, vegetarianism doesn't turn people into twigs, and it is healthy if done properly.

It doesn't require daily meditation.

I know what you're talking about with the vegans being a little crazy sometimes.

Some of my sources of protein are Indian food (Trader Joe's has some great pre-made Indian food), peanut butter sandwiches, and bean and cheese burritos.

I think that a big part of the evolutionary advantage of eating meat is that it takes less time to get all the needed energy if it comes from raw meat vs raw plants, so a predator will tend to have more time to do things besides just surviving than a grazer that has to spend every waking moment eating grass. Now that we can cook our food and harvest it quickly, eating meat doesn't provide the fast energy advantage anymore.

I'd definately recommend dropping red meat for a while if you're interested in doing that. Dumping the rest isn't for everyone, but give it a try if you want to.