Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Global warming paper: could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Question Global warming paper: could use some advice

so heres the story.... Im doing a paper on global warming. the specific topic is "Global Warming: The Sticking Economic Issues between the Western World and the Rest of The World." Thats exactly how its written on the syllabus (i actually googled that because it sounds like a book title), but anyway.

My main focus is gonna be on the Kyoto Protocol and how the US has yet to ratify it (and probably wont). This seems to be the most relevant global issue/solution, and it helps that the US and the rest of the world have a different opinion on it.

My problem is that i cant figure out why the US not being a part of the protocol is a big problem, especially when we have states and cities that are implementing their own emissions trading schemes. I was thinking about writing something about how the US was willing to ratify the KP if it could be made more cost-effective to developing countries, as well as EPA reports and other government actions that made it clear the US did agree and support the idea of the KP, but never directly stated that.

Any advice would be awesome guys. thanks

Old 10-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Guru

I hate global warming. It's the biggest hoax since the introduction of snake oil.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:51 AM

What class is this for?

I would say that you are f-ed and that the topic was intended to be ambiguous so that your teacher/professor can impose their own personal views onto your grade.

It may help you to know that,

western world = USA + Western Europe

the rest of the world would include places like Russia, China, India, and Africa.

Also, you will notice that places like China and India are rapidly growing. Any regulation that requires them to reduce pollution will have consequences on their economic and industrial development. Places like the US and Europe already experienced their own industrial boom which occured under much less strict environmental regulation.

Every country should hesitate to sign an agreement that will impact their industrial capacity if it is not agreed upon by the whole world. The countries who do not sign these treaties will have an economic advantage over those who do.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:56 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bigtm792

My problem is that i cant figure out why the US not being a part of the protocol is a big problem
Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan

The countries who do not sign these treaties will have an economic advantage over those who do.

^^
Your answer.

Other countries are all holding hands and ****, trying to get environmental crap under control, and the US is all like, eff you guys.. thats ghey.

You can quote me in your paper if you want.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Site Moderator

Global warming is a theory, there is absolutely no proof that the earth "warming" up is caused by man. I think if you look at the average temperatures of the planet from year to year you will see the latest high average temps on record was in 1998.........go figure.

I should also point out Al Gore is a moron. That is all.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:51 PM
5th Gear

what?!

Al Gore invented teh internet. You should be thanking him for this forum.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:09 AM
2nd Gear

global warming? haha

Old 10-24-2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
What class is this for?

I would say that you are f-ed and that the topic was intended to be ambiguous so that your teacher/professor can impose their own personal views onto your grade.
yea, is this college or high school?

If its college, and a lower division class, like global *** hat 101, then ya, go with the answer that auto gave earlier and achttung pointed out, for a 100 level class that will be sufficient. Just be sure to elaborate on why you feel this way. **** from a bull will do just fine.

otherwise, yea... your eff'd

thats a stupid assignment. I hated when prof's would assign something with so much ambiguity that you feel no matter how you answer, they will find a way to tear you apart, its their way of showing they're in control.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:24 AM
5th Gear

for your whole paper, just write "WDF, **** don't exist". also like MC and auto have said, it's more of an opinion question so see if you can try to find out a little more about the teacher. tell them that the articles you have found so far have been bias and you want to know where to find somewhat unbiased information. if they tell you a couple books or sites, let us know and we'll let you know which side your teacher is on which is the side you need to go with

Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Guru

If you can, watch the film "Not Evil, Just Wrong". It's all about global warming and an MIT Scientist claims that not only is the Earth not warming, it hasn't warmed at all for 13 years.

Quick Reply: Global warming paper: could use some advice