Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Getting ready to epoxy my garage floor. Any suggestions\advice ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Default Getting ready to epoxy my garage floor. Any suggestions\advice ?

I am getting ready to epoxy my garage floor, and I have found out that this is a bigger job than I had anticipated that includes prepping, basecoat, color flakes and top coat and is much more expensive than I had thought it would be.

With that being said, I want to do this right and I want a good quality product. I am thinking about buying through www.originalcolorchips.com, and I want a red basecoat with black and white flecks, similar to this: www.originalcolorchips.com/garage_flooring_colors.html (Tile Red Basecoat / Black Marble Blend). I have a two car garage.

My question is has anyone here done this can can they share any pointers or advice before I start this project?
Thanks!

Old 03-24-2008, 01:54 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Getting ready to epoxy my garage floor. Any suggestions\advice ?

too funny - this is actually my next project after I get rid of the 100 lbs of sawdust off the floor

Old 03-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

^^ should start a "Pal's Projects" thread.

no advise other that to follow what the product says to do, but take pics as you go along for a before and after. might inspire others.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:56 PM

Make sure you evenly spread the flakes, that can really make it look bad if its clumped at all[:@]

Old 03-24-2008, 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: a6sheriff

Make sure you evenly spread the flakes, that can really make it look bad if its clumped at all[:@]
yes I know...they have specific directions on how to spread the flakes...you are apparently supposed to grab a "pinch-full", then throw them upwards and let them float down LOL...and this is not just one manufacturer, this is how they all work lol.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:32 PM
3rd Gear

I did my 1-1/2 car garage when I bought my house. I used Quikrete - gray with blue, white, and black chips. It took 2kits($60 for each gallon kit at Lowes),andI even had enough left over to do themy back steps - which I didn't even prep, b/c I didn't think I'd have enough left over.

You need a warm weekend, move everything out of the garage for a few days.
Sweep it, then hose it out.
Scrub the whole floor with the acid and water mixed in a watering can.
Use a scrub brush with a broom handle, gloves,and safety googles.
Rinse it out with the hose.
Squeege the floor and let it dry good overnight.
Next day get out the paint roller - use the broom handle attachment.
Mix up one batch of epoxy - I think you have to stir it, wait 20 minutes, then re-stir it.
Cut in around the edges with a big paint brush.
Then start in the back, and work your way out towards an exit - gargage door.
Roll out 3'x3' or 4'x4' sections at a timeand sprinkle the chips kind of like how you spread grass seed.
You have to sprinkle chips each section as you go, or else they won't stick.
Let it dry 24 hrs before you can walk on it, and don't park your car or put anything heavy on the floor for 5 days.
No clear coat needed.

The red is just bad taste in my opinion. Do a grey or tan, and the house will have much more resale appeal if you ever move.
Supplies and everything shouldn't cost more than $140. I don't know what that site charges, but Lowes or Home Depot has it for less probably. Don't get hung up on the clear coat gimmick, it's only a garage floor. Anybody can do this. Good floor preparation is key. Also, if your garage floor is cracked, fix/fill any cracks in the concrete first at least a week before you plan to do this.