Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

fitting radio how 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Default RE: fitting radio how 2

seem I was typing and you were answering

Old 08-27-2007, 03:17 PM

hey dave... where would I connect
the wire from pin 6 to?

would I connect one of the rear speaker wires from the back of the cd player to it?

Old 08-27-2007, 03:39 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

seem I was typing and you were answering
Well, I looked at the thread and you were offline, so I thought I'd see if I could help.

Never mind about Pin #6, fumoazul99 - I misunderstood what you were trying to do, and thought you were looking for a power supply or remote enable trigger line for the amp itself.

The reason the rear speakers don't work is that the factory system uses a seperate power amplifier, rather than on-board head unit power amplifiers, for the rear channels, whereas your aftermarket head unit has all four amplifiers on-board.You have two options for making them work; either splice into the factory rear power amp and use it and the factory rear speakers, or run new wires and connect your aftermarket head unit directly to the rear speakers (bypassing the rear amp entirely). Details follow;

To splice into the existing amp/speaker setup, you needacable which hasRCA connectors at one end, and bare wire leads at the other. Connect the RCA connectors to the L and R rear pre-outs on the back of your aftermarket head unit, and then splice the wire lead endsto the pre-amp lines leading back to the factory amplifier (On the Multi-Pin connector I [20-pin], Pin #1 = Left Rear line out, Pin #2 = Right Rear line out, Pin #3 = common ground).

The second option (which I used in my car, by the way), is to run new speaker wires from the aftermarket head unit directly back to the rear speakers. I did this because it allows you to replace the rear speakers, rather than use the factory ones (you can still use the factory ones, but I wouldn't bet on them being able to handle the power levels of your aftermarket head unit). I tucked the wires underneath the dashboard and ran them under the plastic trim under the door openings and the B pillar, then up under the rear seat, then up along the side bolster upholstery alongside the back of the rear doors (I ran the Left Rear wire down the left side, and Right Rear down the right side of the car in order to avoid confusion on which was which).

If you would like, I can find some pictures of the cables I'm talking about,and make upsome basic wiring schematics to clarify. If you'd like,tomorrow I cantake some pictures of how this all looks in my car and post them for you.Let me know.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:50 PM

yah man I would appriciate that a whole lot!!! and could you let me know what kind of speakers you got for that as well... because I want them to fit perfectly....

thanks man!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:52 PM

awesome help there mate couldn't have said it better my self

im always set as offline because im doing lots of other stuff at the same time and dont want people to think im just sitting there when im not if you see what I mean so in in and out a lot

Old 08-27-2007, 04:00 PM
4th Gear

I used Alpine Type-S 6.5" speakers for the rear. Someday when I get a wild hair, I intend to replace my front speakers with matching Alpine Type-S 4" or possibly 5.25" speakers (mine are coaxial; the factor setup uses seperate component speakers with a 4" woofer and 3/4" (?) tweeter. Polk makes a set that fit, but I'm trying to keep it all Alpine becasue I'm picky like that. My head unit is an Alpine CDE-9845). The handy-dandy thing about these particular speakers (in this case, at least) is that they come with mounting bracket adapters - which is great because the factory speakers in our carsuse non-conventional bolt patterns. With the includedadapter brackets, my speakers fitright in.I'm at work all day today, so tomorrow when I'm off I'll checkon the specific model numbers for those speakers, as well as take some pictures of my installation.

Meanwhile, give me a few minutes here and I'll see if I can't pull someother, moregeneral illustrations out of my bum...

Old 08-27-2007, 04:02 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

awesome help there mate couldn't have said it better my self

im always set as offline because im doing lots of other stuff at the same time and dont want people to think im just sitting there when im not if you see what I mean so in in and out a lot
Haha right on mate - I bet you get enough people bugging you as it is, since you're a tech

Old 08-27-2007, 04:05 PM

not a problem people dont bug me when they ask me stuff I actually like thechallange of finding the answers it keeps the gray matter working lol

Old 08-27-2007, 04:21 PM
4th Gear

True enough. I'm running film all day and it's kind of a slow season at the moment (school starting), so I'm having some funmyself helping out here!

Old 08-27-2007, 05:19 PM
4th Gear

Okay! I've been hard at work with MS Paint here, and I've come up with some general outlines. First, the basic scheme of the factory setup:

This shows only the general connections between the factory head unit, speakers, and rear power amplifier. For simplicity's sake, I have omitted several other wires which we are not dealing with.

Quick Reply: fitting radio how 2