Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

First Ever Ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 PM
1st Gear
Default First Ever Ticket!

So I got pulled over for the first time today. I was cruising on a pretty major road at about 60 in a 50 mph zone just like I always do to be honest, and a NJ state trooper was going the opposite direction tailgating a row of traffic. I didn't see him until it was too late, passed him going (what i thought was about 58-60) but he clocked me at 62 in a 50 mph zone. So, he slams on his breaks, cuts in front of traffic on the west bound lane that i was in, and slams on the gas pedal to catch up to me. I pull over, give him all the license and registration blah blah blah....

He asks me how's my record, I said this is the first time I've been stopped sir. He's like do you know why I stopped you? I'm like I'm a little unsure to be honest sir. I don't think he liked that answer. He's like ok, well, since it's your first time this shouldn't really be a problem. I'll be right back. I thought, wow, this guy is going to be pretty nice, let me off with a warning and let me on my way...........WRONG! He comes back and says, Your court date is July 26th. You don't have to go though. And walks back to his car..........

I was like WTF, what a douchebag. Now I know why everyone hates cops! haha.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:49 PM
5th Gear

oh wow. i got let off for doing 90 in the rain in Jersey in my old civic. yes i was much younger and dumber then as most of us were lol. make sure your head is on a swivel though. there are tons of exits in Jersey, i woulda been like oh **** peace lol

Old 07-03-2010, 09:17 PM
3rd Gear

I got my first ticket in a VW Jetta I think, I was going 50 in a 35, construction too, needless to say I gave 300 bucks to the California Highways...

Old 07-03-2010, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dan1969
I got my first ticket in a VW Jetta I think, I was going 50 in a 35, construction too, needless to say I gave 300 bucks to the California Highways...
Dang, I really hope I don't get slammed for anything too pricey. Really the biggest thing is I don't want the points on my record!

Old 07-04-2010, 11:59 AM
3rd Gear

You will get one, but eventually it'll come off, just be careful.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:41 AM
4th Gear

thats how they seem to like to do it now. ITs like oh let me run your info ill be right back. U think hmm maybe i caught a nice cop that will let me off. Comes back with ticket and your like. ***!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
thats how they seem to like to do it now. ITs like oh let me run your info ill be right back. U think hmm maybe i caught a nice cop that will let me off. Comes back with ticket and your like. ***!
yup. i'm guessing they find enjoyment in that. especially a 18 year old kid who's never gotten pulled over before.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Administrator

maybe someone with a little more knowledge can jump in here, but i thought in order to get an accurate radar reading, the guy holding the gun had to be stationary? If a cop is traveling some unknown speed, how could he possibly have "clocked" you with any accuracy? sounds like BS to me.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Senior Administrator

I'm not teh MOST knowledgable (Ask-A-Cop thread... hint, hint), but I DO know that a properly calibrated radar gun is smart enough to calculate its own road speed, AND your speed, either closing or increasing separation.

Properly calibrated.

Ask for that days calibration sheet. They're supposed to calibrate them at some known interval (daily/weekly/once-every-blue-moon/what-have-you). If it hasn't been calibrated within that interval you can usually request that the ticket be thrown out for that very reason. Depending on your jurisdiction, of course.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:25 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
I'm not teh MOST knowledgable (Ask-A-Cop thread... hint, hint), but I DO know that a properly calibrated radar gun is smart enough to calculate its own road speed, AND your speed, either closing or increasing separation.

Properly calibrated.

Ask for that days calibration sheet. They're supposed to calibrate them at some known interval (daily/weekly/once-every-blue-moon/what-have-you). If it hasn't been calibrated within that interval you can usually request that the ticket be thrown out for that very reason. Depending on your jurisdiction, of course.
i have heard this before also. Not sure how true it is?

Quick Reply: First Ever Ticket!