Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

First book i have ever read by choice

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 06:50 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: First book i have ever read by choice

ORIGINAL: apg96

u guys are getting the wrong idea.
I get the idea perfectly. You have to be forced to read a book. As such, your assimilation level is probably next to nothing.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Senior Administrator

OK, I dint chime in when everybody was piling on about this being your FIRST book... Yadda, yadda, yadda... But, I took time out, just now, to read an excerpt for teh book, on teh website. Only read, like, 4-5 pages worth and I think I've LOST 40 IQ points!!! Now I'm DOWN to almost a hundred!!! Who am gonna be payin for this'n thang, y'all? I are getting stoopider and stoopiderer... Someone HELP ME!!! <faceplant into keyboard as drool dribbles and fills up teh spaces between teh keys...>

Old 01-13-2006, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

OK, I dint chime in when everybody was piling on about this being your FIRST book... Yadda, yadda, yadda... But, I took time out, just now, to read an excerpt for teh book, on teh website. Only read, like, 4-5 pages worth and I think I've LOST 40 IQ points!!! Now I'm DOWN to almost a hundred!!! Who am gonna be payin for this'n thang, y'all? I are getting stoopider and stoopiderer... Someone HELP ME!!! <faceplant into keyboard as drool dribbles and fills up teh spaces between teh keys...>
You had to look up the word "assimilation", didn't you?

Old 01-13-2006, 09:47 PM

ewww look at me i use big words liek assimilation. Lucky for me i actually know teh word (it was a vocab word liek 3 weeks ago). Umm reading novels is a diiferent thing than reading. When u read are u reading history or biographies? Because fiction does nothing for ur knowledge. Reading Harry Potter doesnt raise ur IQ. I read history books, religion books, criminalistics books, literature books (remember i said by choice so i have read all those fancy books that actually help ur knowledge). So u think because i dont read by choice ur smarter than me? Im sorry to say u need to rethink that. The point u are over looking is by choice, so lets do some math, i have 7 classes say i read 2 per class. Thats 14 books in less than a year i read. And i read more b/c that doesnt incl. the 2 iHAVE TO read over summer. And tahst been going on since 6 grade, im a senior now. so lets do some math. 12 summer reading books + 84 books from classes= 96 books by the end of this year. Thats all in 6 years. None of which were by choice.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:59 AM
5th Gear

Reading fiction can certainly help make you smarter... increase your vocabulary and comprehension of our language... and get this: books of fiction often contain many facts and interesting things!

EDIT: how many books in english did you read that weren't fiction? I can't believe you've never read a book by choice... I read my first book, Henry and Rigsby (sp?) in grade 2. I read a several books afterwards, of which I don't remember... some Hardy Boys I think! Then in grade 5 I read The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings series... My most recent book read by choice was Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, as I neglected to read it in English class... and felt as though I was missing out on a classic. I read it in a single day a few weeks ago. The DaVinci code was the first novel I'd read in a while... I read it in summer. The summer previous I read all the Bourne books... as well as a few of Clive Cusslers. There are many, MANY awesome books out there... nearly every book is good, too... if you read it fast enough! Some people say there is a big lull in the Bourne Supremacy... I never noticed, as I read it in 3 days... (I had just had surgery).

Anyways, I am ranting... read more. Please. It's good for you!

Old 01-14-2006, 04:13 AM

i read all those but again not by choice, at that agae i read all teh hardy boys but my parents had a rule that i had to be reading a book. Hhaha i just wrote my frankenstein essay for english. I wrote about victor being gay. I read plenty the point was jsut taht this was teh first time on my own i went and bought a book purely for entertainment. I had a book i read by choice last year (Da Vinci Code because my cousin is producing the movie and told me i should read it before he sends me the film) but i then used it for a book report, so again i didnt really read it by choice. I always wanted to read the Bourne ones but never got around to it. I liek Tom Clancy books also, all my 6-7 grade book reports where on them. Next book is prolly Choke or Fight Club. Not sure thou. I enjoy the reading when i get into teh book, i just have trouble doing so.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:32 AM
3rd Gear

First book you have ever picked up of your own accord? Are you some sort of intellectual leper or something? Instead of a film, try a book. They are often immeasurably superior!

Old 01-14-2006, 12:21 PM
4th Gear

Thus the common saying - "It wasn't as good as the book."

Old 01-14-2006, 01:27 PM
5th Gear

Yeah even the Bourne movies... which I think were great movies... were not nearly as good as the book.
Pick up Michael Crightons "Timeline" or "Sphere" and read them... then watch the movie... now raise your fists into the air and scream, "Why!?" They have butchered many of his books... Although I think Jurassic Park was a fantastic movie... read the books, and they are much better.

And I don't get what all the fuss was about.. with the DaVinci code... It was an alright book... I read it in 2 or 3 days at the cottage... but I don't think it was nearly as good as the Bourne series, for instance. Maybe I'll read it again.

Have you read The Hobbit? It's possibly my favourite book of all time... I've read it three or four times. I think I heard that the movie is coming out... that will likely be great.

Old 01-14-2006, 04:48 PM
3rd Gear

I is to koo fo skoo[sm=wootwoot.gif]

Quick Reply: First book i have ever read by choice