Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Firefox Users

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Administrator

I'll download those things as soon as I get home today. Norton came with the computer so figured I'd just use it.

Thanks for the info/tips everyone.

Jazz - Let me know which one you're running. The problem doesn't occur as often as it used to after I reinstalled FF but occasionally it'd freeze during YT vids. I might try to remove the program completely and re-install FF again.

Sweetee - IE is a great browser but its pop up blocker doesn't work as well as FF. I used to constantly run IE several years ago and I had so many trojans/spywares with IE as a browser. So far I haven't had any major problem with FF and I'd highly recommend it for you to try. Also as Jazz stated, FF works the way you want a browser to work. It'd recognize your favorite websites as you continually use the browser. You should try it, it's free!

Last edited by kriptonik; 07-09-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Freaking FF still freezes on me after I removed and reinstalled the whole darn thing.

Would Quicktime add-on have anything to do with it? I know YT doesn't use Quicktime so it shouldn't be effecting the performance.
There's a new update for Quicktime which I haven't really done since I rarely use anything that involves that particular add-on/player.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:51 PM
5th Gear

get rid of quicktime. i know that quicktime will slow down FF for sure though. only add on i have are divx web player, flash and antivirus. even though i have an ipod, i load all of my music on it and then get rid of anything apple lol. it only takes my comp a few minutes to install itunes and ipod and i only plug my ipod in my comp once or twice a year. there are good vids that use quicktime anyways. i'd get rid of it, i'm sure it'll help.

if nothing helps, it's time for a reboot lol

Old 07-10-2010, 09:44 PM
3rd Gear

Been using Firefox for days now. Haven't found a browser yet to switch.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Senior Administrator

Hey! R!

Didja install SecuniaPSI yet?!?!?

The other piece you might wanna explore is DriverMAX. Hit their website. Run their program. Its a b1tch to update your drivers the "free" route, but its cheaper that way.

Secunia updates installed programs. DriverMax updates your drivers.

What add-ons you runnin?!?!?

Also, what apps/processes you got runnin when it freezes? Anything unusual, that you are aware of?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Jazz,

Thanks for all the info. Everything is much appreciated.

Finally got the time to install SecuniaPSI - great program/concept BTW. I scored 94% (which isn't too bad). It said I needed a critical update of Flash - which I did; and also an update of Java for FF.

I did everything and YT seemed to be running fine after. However, one of the problems still exist. It seems like every time I visit a Flash based website, FF would not load that particular page and just freezes. Like I've said before, I'm pretty certain it is not my computer as I just visited the same website right now using Chrome and it works perfectly.

I seriously don't know what is wrong with my FF. I was considering just making Chrome my default browser but I hate how Google won't load several images on a page (even some smileys) and how it won't recognize Yelp (don't know what is up with this).

Any other suggestions of what I should do?

Side note - I'm not running any add-ons except for the usual Flash/Java. I do notice that I'm running 2 different Java consoles under extensions. Both are running and different versions (one is the 6.0.13 and the other 6.0.20) - do I need both of these? Could it be the reason why FF crashes on me?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Senior Administrator

I get something similar, with my java, and my schitt doesn't crash. At work, now, so I can't audit my FF. Hafta wait'll I get home, tonight (or maybe tomorrow night, we'll see).

AT this point, we're pretty much down to the standard MS trouble-shooting solution: 1) Uninstall & re-install FF.
2) Re-run your updates.
3) Cross your fingers.