Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Favorite Books

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default Favorite Books

So the movie Thread got me thinking and I have never seen a post of ppls favorite books (maybe it is a sign of the times). Any way here are some of my favorites, what are yours? (picture books dont count but graphic novels do)

1) Shogun (fastest I have ever read 1000+ pages; I think I have read this book about 5 times)

2) Enders Game (and the following booksin the series, possibly the best Sci Fibook ever)

3) Gates of Fire (if you saw 300 you owe it to yourself to read the more historically accurate, yet still fictional, story)

4) Eragon (never saw the movie, never had to after reading the book, Paolini is the Tolkin of our time)

5) Guns, Germs and Steel (my college roommate had to read it I picked it up one day and couldnt put it down)

Old 02-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja
Default RE: Favorite Books

the "Rain" series by Barry Eisler

Supersystem - Doyle Brunson

Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM

Everyone poops by Taro Gomi.

This book has taken me places that I may not have gone without it's guidance.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:43 PM
2nd Gear

While I have read Everyone poops and it is life changing the fact that this thread got low hits and responses just affirms how our generation is turning away from books for the instant gratification of tv, internet and movies

Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

I rather enjoyed Fahrenheit 451.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:34 PM
6th Gear

hey, i just found it, personally I like movies, but occasionally when it's raining out and I'm not outside enjoying life, I will pick up a book and read it.

I really like Rainbow Six and most other Clancy novels

I'm always open to someone to suggest something to read, so you can't count us all out, just because I'm gonna go wakeboardig with friends before I sit in a chair and read a book, doesn't mean that this generation has lost it's reading pleasure, I just rather spend time with friends.

I actually hate all the "reality" that is on today, except Rob and Big (that show is awesome)

Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear

Count of Monte Cristo - Unabridged, four brazillion pages, the way it was supposed to be.

Wayfarer Redemption series, by Sara Douglass.

The Collector, by John Fowles - Freaking creepy story told from the points of view of both the kidnapper and kidnapee.

The Decameron, by Giovanni Bocaccio - 100 short stories written shortly afer the time of the Great Plague, but written in a way that is still readable.

Spenser novels, by Robert B Parker - Chiaroscuro private eye fiction at it's absolute best.

Nightside series, by Simon R Green - Hardboiled private eye meets the Twilight Zone. Lead character John Taylor is a PI in the mythical London underground known as the nightside, and he has a gift where he can basically do anything. Snazzy gift, huh? Oh and he brings about the end of the world, or is supposed to do so in the future. Oh, and he's the son of Lilith, the first wife of Adam (yeah, that Adam).

Rogue Angel series - Bad *** archaeologist babe, trained in all sort of martial arts, works on a campy TV series for the Knowledge Channel, takes on crazy history searches, and she's been chosen by Joan of Arc's mythical sword to be the champion of good.

James Patterson stuff - All of his sole-authorship books are good, most of the co-authored ones are kinda crap (except The Lifeguard). I think his non-Cross and non-Women's Murder CLub books are best, like When the Wind Blows, The Lake House, See How They Run and Midnight Club.

Candide, byVoltaire.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:31 PM
4th Gear

The Giving Tree