Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

f this global warming

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Default RE: f this globel warming

ORIGINAL: sineo
The reason for this is that the only way we have to measure CO2 levels in the past is with ancient ice. However, these sources are incredibly variable and very prone to contamination, so it's hard to use the figures they reveal for scientific prediction.
Actually, there's also peet bog data, and [to a certain extent] tree ring data, among other types of isotope analysis. Ice core samples are actually pretty accurate; contaminated with foreign substance or not, there's always an accurate isotope analysis.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

I live on the east coast too, it was 80's the other day in north east Ohio. I just got new tires with some serious tread and I can't wait to tear up the snow with my quattro this winter, if it comes that is.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:53 PM
3rd Gear

Well, I shouldn't have said that was the only way...it is the best way because the variability in plant fossils is very high, higher than ice core samples. Which, to me, makes ice cores the only way to go. But even if we assume that those measurements are accurate, we still can't draw solid correlations between CO2 levels and past ice ages. Evidence suggests that the CO2 levels fall before ice ages, but we don't have any evidence from which we can define absolute cause and effect. We just don't know.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:56 PM
6th Gear

all I know about global warming is that I'm torn. part of me says screw warming I want cooling so I can ski longer, and the other part of me say screw the cold I want warm weather to drive and be out in the sun in. SO i'm torn by my own selfish interests.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:39 AM
2nd Gear

I'm not sure what to think about the whole global warming debate. We've really only been observing this firsthand for about 40 years, but we are dealing with hot/cold cycles that happen over thousands of years. There is no doubt that we are contributing to warming, but I don't think anyone can say with certainty how much we are contributing (vs. natural warming) and how much that variance is going to impact the planet in the long run.

That being said, can anyone give a good reason why we should not try to reduce our carbon output as much as possible? It's certainly not going to make the situation any worse!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:43 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: f this global warming

ORIGINAL: Sp33d07

i live on the east coast, its october and the weather channel say plan a beach trip in october!! i miss the snowy days(quattro) also car perfomes well in the cold weather, in summer its lazy as hell. i cant wait till it snows make that quattro useful.
yea i love the snow too, and i hate when its not here, but when it is.......................

Old 10-10-2007, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Sick pictures jonus!

Looks like snow heaven.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: kriptonik

Sick pictures jonus!

Looks like snow heaven.
i call it quartto heaven.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 AM
4th Gear

It was 90 degrees yesterday. Whether its "man made" or just the earth's natural cycle its unusually fvcking hot. No one on the east coast should be going to the beach this late after labor day...Its not "man made" but our industrial growth since the late 18th century has CONTRIBUTED to the spike in CO2 levels. If you don't believe that it exists then try explaining that to the people of Takuu and Carteret Islands forced to leave because of rising sea levels. Or the people of western China whos once rich farm lands are turning into useless desert lands. Or take a look at the many glaciers receding into nonexistence. Theres alot of hype over the whole global warming issue but I say its a good thing. Whatever it takes for us to make changes that'll benefit the environment. Now you guys can start by getting rid of those testpipes

Old 10-10-2007, 05:09 AM
Senior Administrator

WOW!!! Informed debate!!! I may hafta abandon my AF affiliation if you guys continue all this sensible behavior. Where are teh e-Fights? Where's the name-calling? I'm not sure whether to be proud, or disappointed...

Personally, I think Bunny-Rabbits are to blame. Remember, the meek shall inherit!

Quick Reply: f this global warming