Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Exhausted from child care

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 10:52 AM
Banned
Default Exhausted from child care

I adore my Grandchildren.
We started with a day a week and it built up to three days a week. Then baby no. 2 arrived and before we knew it we were looking after a 4 month old and a two year old for a joint total of 80 hours per week.
We were exhausted!! My husband in nearly 70, I am 60+ and we kept going for three and a half years until we realised neither of the parents realised how ill it was making us.
After months of anguish I snapped and 'resigned'. My son has made all of the alternative arrangements, but now my dil barely speaks to me. She has to work extra hours to cover the extra nursery hours. I am not feeding the children for four days a week or running them to Nursery or the Doctors. Costs she has to now cover instead of our state pension.
We feel we have let them down but actually we are well for the first time in three years. We can actually meet up with friends or sleep in until after 5.30am.
Why is their expectation so high? Why do we feel so guilty?

Old 04-04-2022, 10:57 AM
1st Gear

Its because you let something start, which was invaluable to your son and daughter in law.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:58 AM
1st Gear

You feel guilty because you are responsible grandparents who love their children and grandchildren. However, most people are selfish and do not appreciate the help they are given. Your children are young, so they don't understand how people your age feel. You don't have to justify yourself to them for this. They had to think in advance whether they could manage to take care of two children with their work schedule. When we decided to have children by fostering through a Foster Plus agency, we immediately realized the full level of responsibility. Therefore, we have been saving money to provide quality care for our children for several months.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:19 AM
1st Gear

You can order custom cards on Boomf! and create a unique card https://boomf.com/collections/graduation-card for you father to tell him how much you love him, how much you appreciate he is always here for you, and how thankful you are.