Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Exciting day, for all the aviation guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 04:05 AM
18T
4th Gear
Default Exciting day, for all the aviation guys

I had a blast today. I went flying, now this story is prolly not going to be intersting for most of you, unless you are an aviation enthusiast or pilot.

So im taxing to the active runway (2L at kdpa) via a very long taxiway. the final intersection at the runway is wiskey 3. there is a fighter jet holding short of the runway there.
so ground control tells me to make an intersection departure at wiskey 2 which is right before wiskey 3. So im like sweet i get to do my runup and pretakeoff checklist 40 feet from a fighter jet. So as awesome as that was, as i was doing the runup, theres a global express coming up right behind me to take position at wiskey 3. so nwo i have one jet on the right and a another huge one dwarfing me from behind as it was passing.

so the fighter takes off and then thge global express and then me in the tiny little 172 getting bounced around by wake from the huge global express.

so now i head to rockford(krfd), i land i have some cofee, water, fuel up , and relax for a bit. Alright its time to go back, i jump in contact ground, they clear me to taxi to runway 1. so im holding short doing my runup, as i see this Boeing 757 que up behind me now as much as im loving it im also pissing my pants. lol as soon as i saw the B757 i hear tower telling me to position and hold on the runway. Its an amazing feeling positioning on the runway waiting for takeoff clearance while this heavy (the 757) is holding short waiting on meeeeeeeeeeelol! i laughed in my head thinking what those folks on that plane were thinking..."look at that guy in his tiny plane". haha.. anyway i get clearance and off i go. quite a bumpy day.

so yea the 757 is the first commercial plane so far to be on my *** like that.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:38 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Exciting day, for all the aviation guys

Cool!
So you can dream how THEY got bounced around from YOUR wake turbulence!

Old 09-01-2006, 04:46 AM
5th Gear

lol i dont think he made quite as much as the other planes did, they probably didnt even feel his
ORIGINAL: karguy427

Cool!
So you can dream how THEY got bounced around from YOUR wake turbulence!

Old 09-01-2006, 05:08 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: 18T

Should have got on the radio to the tower, and told them you had a tailgater.. flash your brakelights a few times then give them the finger right before take off

Old 09-01-2006, 05:13 AM
18T
4th Gear

LOL

Old 09-02-2006, 11:09 PM
4th Gear

Yep sounds like a good time. I used to get awed by the bigger planes but now-a-days. I forget that I'm even around them.

Quick question. you said you hit the GE's wake. Did you take off before his point of rotation? If so and you didn't follow his flight path then what you would have experienced was his jetblast. never the less a deffinate feeling of being (not as powerfull) as him. good times. WHen you gonna do it and start making money.

Oh yeah man, get your cross wind landing down good. I used the crap out of it the other day in ernesto. landing 9L PBI with 17025G34 Variable 130 to 220. good times.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:16 PM
18T
4th Gear

actually i dont remember that clearly anymore. i just know it was crazy for a few secs. it was probably his jetblast. oh and winds were gusting to 20kts

Old 09-02-2006, 11:18 PM
18T
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: flyboy

Oh yeah man, get your cross wind landing down good. I used the crap out of it the other day in ernesto. landing 9L PBI with 17025G34 Variable 130 to 220. good times.
i hate crosswinds from my right. its unatural for me to move the yoke like that.

i do great with a crosswind from the left.. but the right just screws me up. no problem on takeoff but comin in it gets nasty.

especially when its gusting to 20-25 in a small 172.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:20 PM
4th Gear

Good stuff. I don't think I would remember how to fly a 172. I remember when I first came back to one after flying a kingair for like 100 hours. abeem the numbers "gear down, beforelanding finnal checks." Oh ****, the gear is already down, I was lost for like five seconds. HAHA. Anyway, I've got to come up and visit sometime soon. go flying together and chil.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: Redgoat

ORIGINAL: 18T

Should have got on the radio to the tower, and told them you had a tailgater.. flash your brakelights a few times then give them the finger right before take off
o man thats great

Quick Reply: Exciting day, for all the aviation guys