Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Engine Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Default Engine Problems?

I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T and recently the engine is not working right. after coming to a stop I will step on the gas and the gears wont get caught to turn the wheels. Instead the engine revs and the car rolls until the the wheels work. I am thinking this can be a transmission problem but I really dont know. Could it also be the timing belt?? please let me know if any of you encountered a problem like this before and if you solved it.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Senior Administrator

Since you seem generally non-mechanically minded, I am going out on a limb and guess it's not a manual transmission.

Take it to a transmission shop. There is almost NOTHING that is DIYable in an automatic tranny (no, the *other* kinda tranny), besides checking the fluid.

Check the fluid:
Pull the dip-stick and look at the color of the fluid. Pink? Or, brown? The pinker end of the spectrum is preferred. The browner it is the more likely it is that is a part (but prolly ONLY a part) of your problem.

With the tranny warmed up (after you've somehow managed to drive it around the block 10-15 times), pull the dip-stick and check the fluid level. There are markings near the tip. You want the fluid level to be higher than the lowest mark, lower than the highest. Nearer the top is better.

It could also be a vacuum issue, but you'd best leave that to a tranny shop to determine.

auditech79, or one of the other Audi mechanics will be able to add audi-specific info. Mine is general tech, in nature.

Also post up in the A6 section, in case one of your fellow A6ers has had similar.

goodluuk

Old 12-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Guru

He can't pull the dipstick. If it is a tip tranny it's a lifetime sealed unit (pain in my ***) and therefore has no dipstick. It sounds like out friend here has lost a gear. I would check the tranny fluid just because you may not have enough.

To do this you must get under the car and remove the drain plug on the tranny pan. The closer to the drain plug level it is, the better. Also, when was the last time you had your fluid and filter changed? Ever? If the car is around 100,000 get that **** changed.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by airguard350
He can't pull the dipstick. If it is a tip tranny it's a lifetime sealed unit (pain in my ***) and therefore has no dipstick.
Oh yeah! 4got about that.

If it's not a tip, do what I said. If it is, listen to AirGuard.

If you're still confused, take your car IMMEDIATELY to double-A-beep-beep-M-C-O.