Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

drive thru car wash...NEVER AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:11 PM
1st Gear
Default drive thru car wash...NEVER AGAIN!

yeah so im goin thru a drive thru car wash, u know, the ones where u move up and put ur car in neutral and they guide ya thru on a machine...
well i start scraping against something, which im assuming was my skidpad against the middle of the machine, so the guy(not the owner, just a temp) tells me to stop. He checks under my car and is like ok go ahead move up some more. So i attempt to move up and I am just stuck. Nothing happens when i hit the gas.
So, in turn, He instructs me to back up my car, and when i do so, a HORRIBLE scrapping sound starts. so of course, i stop , even though he's telling me to keep going.
I'm like "ur crazy! im not backing up!"
So he had another guy come over and they both tried to lift the front end of my car while i back up, and in turn, it rips a giant gash into my skid pad. not to mention, ripping off most of my front bumper and all of the brackets that hold it in place. great.
So i back out completely and notice chunks of my skidpad stuck in the machine. So i git out and grab my piece and throw it in my backseat and see that my skidpad is totally hanging on the ground at this point. So we make everyone in line back up and i move outta the way and this total spazoid is like HOLY S hit! over and over he just kept yellin holys hit! so its ME calming this guy down(not the other way around) and i tell him to just ziptie that sucker back on, but he insists to take it off.
So finally, after he takes my skid pad off, and realizes that my bumper hangs about an inch away from the fenders and headlights, he starts freaking out even more. He said the guy has insurance, otherwise he'd pay for it.
Well this all happend on sunday, and yesterday i noticed a really weird scrapping sound. so i stop. check under my car, and there is 2 brackets hangin almost to the ground, just funkin my stuff up all over the place! So i took my car down my dads shop this morning and we had to bend the brackets back up into the car and wrote up an estimate.
which was actually a little over $550 in damage, since it ripped off all my bolts to the point of where there is giant holes in the fender-wheel-wells, and the lip on my front bumper has a huge tear in it now.Not to mention the brackets that hold the front bumper in place are completely screwed as well.

so the owner is now saying he's only willing to pay half.
wtf.
im bout to call the better business bereau!

Old 04-11-2006, 10:20 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: drive thru car wash...NEVER AGAIN!

what kind of suspension do you have? either way, the owner of the car wash should pay for it...UNLESS he has a sign in front of the car wash that says 'no vehicles with low ground clearance' or something like that

Old 04-11-2006, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear

I take it you had not been to this carwash before. I am always a bit leary of car washes....but usually the thing I am worried about are my wheels getting dinged and the finish of the car getting ruined. I only go to two carwashes ... My favorite is a place where they wash you car completely by hand. Takes a bit longer and a bit more expensive, but well worth it. There is a brushless automated wash also, for those times that I don't have time.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:39 PM
2nd Gear

Hand wash that **** from now on... Those car wash places are over rated... Even the "touchless" one's...

Sorry to hear about that, the place should pay for everything, unless like bentframe said, they have a sign. [:@]

Old 04-11-2006, 11:00 PM

do NOT settle for just half !!

if he cuts you a check, do NOT cash it, that will be the legal equivalent of accepting his monetary agreement.

play hardball, insist on full payment
if he doesn't want to play, 1 phone call from a lawyer should change his mind..

he IS legally responsible for that damage to your car
for 2 reasons (and mention both reasons to him..)

1) it was his car wash, his property, that damaged your car
2) his employee (whom he his responible for the actions of) told you to keep going, increasing, if not totally causing the damage

Old 04-11-2006, 11:04 PM
3rd Gear

The sign that is posted on those car washes is total BS. Just like the signs on the back of dump trucks that says to keep back because they aren't responsible for crap hitting your car. They are intended for people who don't know any better and will assume that they are for real. Unless your car has been modified or lowered, they are responsible. If your car has been lowered at all, they don't have to pay.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja

sorry to hear about the cars damage. I hope u can get the owner to pay u for the repairs...

but there is a lesson here - u should never take ur car to those places bec.
They wreck our paint... & apparently your car as well..

Old 04-12-2006, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

ok first let me say, i usually NEVER use these car washes. actually it was one of my first times in my entire life. and the only reason i did was cuz i had a card for buy 9 washes git 10th free, and the guy gave it to me because "i was so hot" and he "wants me to come back on a hot day!" *rolls eyes*
AT ANY RATE. i was already nervous because i know those places funk ur paint up, not to mention put chemicals all over ur car. Chemicals are bad. lol. but my car is going to be repainted, and already has signs of being a near-10yr old car with scratches n things that need buffed out already. SO i said F it and went for it, and boy i learned my lesson.
there was signs up but none that said anything about ur car being low. it only stated about running boards and antennas and mirrors n anything aftermarket.

This guy basically knows that its his employee's fault, even tho he was tryna help. lucky for me he hasnt realized the estimate was from my dads body shop yet. lol. my gain i guess. hah.

there is no way i'd settle for half either.Why would i pay $300 to basically not even git my car washed, and to just be gitting it back to normal! I think im going to suggest depreciating the lip since it was scraped up by the previous owner. that'lll knock off a whole 40 bucks and to tell u the truth, i prollly wont even git a new one. we can make a new hole for the brackets, and that werks for me. Plus im tryna locate a used skidpad, so that will pocket me about $200. plus my dad wont charge me for labor. so that pockets me about $80.

also , the employee stated that my bumper was already hanging off my car. and i admitted that it wasn't aligned properly (which , yes, i was going to fix in about a month when we repaint my hood n fenders) but that there is a big difference between hanging off and not being aligned. LOL. my dad spoke with him this morning and i guess the guy is going to pay for it all. YES! lol
SO im thinking of getting an RS4 bumper to keep around until i can afford the skirts and rear bumper...but damn, the skirts i want are like $260 each!

Old 04-12-2006, 12:48 PM
2nd Gear

Lets just all get together for a car wash party....

Old 04-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

[sm=jawdrop.gif]

OH MY GAWD.
I just now realized u were a girl...
I checked your profile when u said the guy thought u were hot or something & i thought "hmm that sounds odd"

but yeah Rachael.. I must agree - You Are defenitely hawwt

Quick Reply: drive thru car wash...NEVER AGAIN!