Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
YES! change it to 18
60.00%
NO! 21 should mean 21!
31.43%
No drinking age
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Drinking Age?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:10 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Drinking Age?

You are truly a WoW nerd, end of story.

Maybe we should consider Australia's drinking policy since it seems to be fairly successful yet controlled. You can legally drink at 18 but you have strict restrictions when it comes to driving until you're 21. I think you can only have 1 beer or something before you're considered driving under the influence. At 21 you lose the restrictions and things get a little more lenient. This way it allows people to start drinking at 18 but they are still watched closely have have guidelines, once you learn how to control yourself at 21 they give you a longer leash.

Think of it as a demo version of a video game... you get a great taste of what the game is like but you get cut off shortly after starting to enjoy.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 PM
4th Gear

that sounds awsome, but im sure it depends on the person, laws dont restrict it, its what tjhe person does, and if hes caught then he pays the price..

(and my 9 yr old brother found that vid)

Old 01-09-2008, 07:08 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79
The only problem is younger individuals generally have less self control, and the DUI rate would go flying up, so i think DUI charges should be made to suspend your license for a minimum of 2 years to get the point across.
Ditto on that - I see it waaaaaaay to often - even had a guydie on his 21st birthday trying to pass peeps in his 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee - he bled out upside-down while emergency services tried to cut him down.He lost control andflipped his SUV 4x hitting 3 other cars in the process.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:12 PM
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Palindariâ„¢

ORIGINAL: auditech79
The only problem is younger individuals generally have less self control, and the DUI rate would go flying up, so i think DUI charges should be made to suspend your license for a minimum of 2 years to get the point across.
Ditto on that - I see it waaaaaaay to often - even had a guy die on his 21st birthday trying to pass peeps in his 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee - he bled out upside-down while emergency services tried to cut him down. He lost control and flipped his SUV 4x hitting 3 other cars in the process.

Thats horrible to hear, but your friends should make sure you are no where near a drivers seat on your 21st or even a car if you can help it.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:49 PM
4th Gear

everyone knows teens retaliate and do what they are told not to do... therefore, if its available then i honestly think that drinking will be less of a problem to young people... sure there will be a time when kids go out and buy and buy alcohol but itll die down...

kinda like driving, i did it before i had my permit and what not and it was fun and a rush everytime... now its just something i gotta do to go to school or take siblings everywhere..PITA

Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: theTTkid

everyone knows teens retaliate and do what they are told not to do... therefore, if its available then i honestly think that drinking will be less of a problem to young people... sure there will be a time when kids go out and buy and buy alcohol but itll die down...

kinda like driving, i did it before i had my permit and what not and it was fun and a rush everytime... now its just something i gotta do to go to school or take siblings everywhere..PITA
+1 [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 01-10-2008, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

with so many people who think it should be back at 18, I think the country should reconsider. unfourtuently all those who think it should be 18 are those who are under 21, and we are not the majority ruler in the nation by far.[:@]

Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

My stepfather is a limey, and he learned tolerance from an early age- as do most Europeans. I strongly agree that it needs to be changed fot two reasons: first, as I said,tolerance is a learned behavior through experience (unless you have a genetic predisposition), and the earlier you get it out of your system, the better off you will be in life. And, I believe that if you are old enough to die for your country, you are old enough to have a beer.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:04 PM
3rd Gear

I'm not 18 or younger and I voted that it should be lowered to 18. I agree with the notion that if you can die for your country then you should be able to enjoy a brew. The lowered age should be for beer only tho. Sadly most(by no means all)18 yr olds in the U.S. are a bunch of idiots and we'd prolly see multple alcohol related deaths as a result. If you really wanna drink underage do what me and my friends did when we were 18, grow a goatee and get a fake, by the time I turned 21 bars weren't that fun anymore. Binge drinking is something most normal people will grow out of.

Although this is coming form somebody who was puking out the back window of a cab goin down 1-70a few weeks ago [:'(]

Old 01-10-2008, 12:40 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: CAB509
Thats horrible to hear, but your friends should make sure you are no where near a drivers seat on your 21st or even a car if you can help it.
It's never pretty - in fact his two drinking buddies rode with him - one was ejected and died the other, in the back seat, ended up paralysed.

That's just one of many fatalities I see the aftermath of... [&o]

Quick Reply: Drinking Age?