Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
YES! change it to 18
60.00%
NO! 21 should mean 21!
31.43%
No drinking age
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Drinking Age?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:45 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Drinking Age?

Stop comparing USA to Europe, all who did and will after this post.

In Europe, parents are allowed and probably encouraged to smack the crap out of their kids for acting up, including abusing alcohol.

In the good old USA, the department of family and children services will show up at the door to take away a kid if the parents punish them with anything more severe than a "time out" or taking away their X-Box. I don't know how I'm gonna be able to raise kids someday without the government getting involved in how to punish children.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

^^^^^^^^I completely agree, actually i wish my dad had smacked me around after I got caught. instead they now wont let me go anywhere untill they call ahead, and I am not allowed to drive anymore for at least a few months. The only time I got caught was when I passed out (my friends parents couldnt wake me up untill they started shaking me) then my parents smelled it on me. But after that much and how I felt the next day, I will never be drinking that much for a long long long time. I def. learned my lesson in moderation. If the age were at 18 I think people would learn their lesson before they got to college and were able to drink themselves to death.

Oh and I like the taxes idea, we should not have to pay until we get old enough to fight, vote, and drink. Stupid government taking 25% of my paycheck......[>:]

Old 01-09-2008, 12:43 AM
2nd Gear

lowering the drinking age will be like natural selection and weed out and dumb a** kids and make the U S a better place. yes i know i am 18, but i dont do stupid ****. that is just the way i feel

Old 01-09-2008, 01:12 AM
5th Gear

I still can't decide where to place my vote - too many compelling arguments.

Definitely an interesting thread, though.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:10 AM
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: scotts custom

lowering the drinking age will be like natural selection and weed out and dumb a** kids and make the U S a better place. yes i know i am 18, but i dont do stupid ****. that is just the way i feel

as a fellow 18 year old, I agree, yeah I drink, ut I usually don't do really stupid **** when wasted.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:26 AM
2nd Gear

They would stop making a huge deal about underage DUI's and such. Dont get me wrong it is horrible but at a check point near my town they arrested over 30 people on Dec. 30, only one of them being underage, and that is what they turned the subject into and focused everything on this one girl. Shouldn't everyone get the same attention? Adults should maybe even get more because doesntbeing legal to drink symbolize your maturity level and the ability to control your actions? At least in the government's eye it does when it comes to the drinking age.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
2nd Gear

*gets on soap box*

I think there should be no drinking age but the age to get your drivers license should be raised to 18. People should learn their alcoholic intake limits before they are able to get behind the wheel of a car. also if there was no drinking age in about 10-20 years the big deal made over drinking in high school and college would fade away.

On the other side of the argument if we did lower the drinking age the youth that were immediatly effected would turn into total fvck ups. There would be a big increase in teen deaths/alcholism/and drunk driving accidents. People would cry out due to those increasing stats and the age limit would be raised once again.

In the long run nothing will change the subject is to touchy for politicians. Plus there are a lot more voters that are 21 and up than there are 18-21 so nothing will ever change.

For all those that say abolish drinking all together ... did you ever read about the prohibition and all the crime that it caused? Same thing would happen and our legal/criminal system is stressed as is. In fact if they leaglized some softer drugs like pot etc. crime would decrease in the long run.

*gets off soap box*

Old 01-09-2008, 10:39 AM
2nd Gear

also i wish we could see the ages of the people that voted for each of the three choices ...

Old 01-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: ocadam

Im 19 so i would rather just have everybody wait like i had to.
^^hater!!! LoL!

Old 01-09-2008, 04:56 PM
4th Gear

Quick Reply: Drinking Age?