Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
YES! change it to 18
60.00%
NO! 21 should mean 21!
31.43%
No drinking age
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Drinking Age?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Drinking Age?

A few days ago I read in the paper some people were trying to get the drinking age to get turned back to 18. I am 17 and compleatly support the idea (obviously) because I am a high school idiot. But I was wondering what the other responses to this change if it happened would be?

I acutally support the idea more of having no drinking age like in italy. There people learn to drink responsibly from a very young age and consequently they do not have the drinking problems we do here.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Drinking Age?

I'd agree that there should be a more European approach to drinking laws, but I just doubt the ability of most young parents in this country to teach their children moderation.

Not to be offensive, but like, I can just see people in high school having children young, then developing a drinking problem because they legally can.

I don't know - I'm pretty mixed on the issue. I've been fortunate enough to learn moderation young, so I don't know what to think

Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

I agree there, coming from an Italian family, I have always been taught moderation and my parents have set a pretty good example. The other way kids would be able to get the education would be the obvious place, in school, I leared all about it in 8th grade. its pointless to start teaching kids when they are in college, its like at my school you have sex ed your senior year. well that did a whole lot of good, i am sure almost all the guys in the class could teach it as well as the teacher.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Site Moderator

I think if you're old enough to hold an M-16 and shoot people for your country then you're old enough to have a brewski. [8D]

The only problem is younger individuals generally have less self control, and the DUI rate would go flying up, so i think DUI charges should be made to suspend your license for a minimum of 2 years to get the point across.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:34 PM
3rd Gear

Im 19 so i would rather just have everybody wait like i had to.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:31 PM

Lower the drinking age or raise the enlistment age or at least the combat age.

Itsthe individual really some people that are 21 still shouldnt be able to drink, drive, vote, procreate, basically all age limits assume that whensomeone reaches a certain age they become reasonable. ha right [&:]

Old 01-08-2008, 08:40 PM

has anyone ever been to Europe, talk about a bunch of crazies, we do not want America to turn into Europe, bad idea. drinking age needs to stay.

i don't drink at all, i would actually vote for no alcohol because it does nothing good for you, and it's ruined so many lives.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:55 PM
4th Gear

18 is good, in Germany and Poland they are very responsible, no matter what age here, people will be idiots so age don't matter, i understand moderation, other people should, and if they were exposed to alcohol more, they wouldn't have to hide their under aged drinking so they dont have to scarf it down at once, they can do it every day and be like "ill go for a beer," and go back, more exposition= learning about it more, thats how i learned ive been drinking since i was 5not heavily though

Old 01-08-2008, 08:56 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: A4speed

has anyone ever been to Europe, talk about a bunch of crazies, we do not want America to turn into Europe, bad idea. drinking age needs to stay.

i don't drink at all, i would actually vote for no alcohol because it does nothing good for you, and it's ruined so many lives.

those are probably the sports nuts you always see, im there in Europe so often that i know that there are more responsible ones than retarded ones, England however is pretty out of control

Old 01-08-2008, 08:58 PM
4th Gear

i dont drink and am actually the designated whenever im with friends that drink but in minnisota i believe theyhave the drinking age at 18 but you need to be with a parent. if you can die for you country you should be able t drink (that why they lowered the voting age to 18).

Quick Reply: Drinking Age?