Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

DON'T TRUST CARFAX - help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:11 AM
1st Gear
Default DON'T TRUST CARFAX - help

Hi to all, i'm new member here

I bought my 2007 Audi Q7 on 12/22/2009 from the small dealer in Brooklyn. The car is 3.6L premium and had 34,550 miles at the time when i bought it. I paid $33,000 usc for the car tax included. Dealer that sold me the car told me that the car is free of any accidents and that has only few small, not visible scratches, which i saw. He also showed to me the CARFAX printout(i have his CARFAX right now in my house ) and everything was as it should be; no accidents/damages, perfect car. Yesterday I went to the BMW dealer to trade my car for 2011 BMW X6. I was hoping to get something about $26, 000 for my car, current milage 45,0XX + car looks like new in/outside. They ran CARFAX report on my car and asked me "Have you been in the accident, sir?" and i said NO, are you sure you got the right VIN. He goes "yes" look in september of 2009 the car was in front impact collision and had frame damage. I'm almost dropped to the floor. it was like slap in my face. They told me that they can't take this vechicle and sell and they were calling few wholesalers and the i could get for my car was $18,000. I came home today, from PA; and found his CARFAX report along with all my car's paper work and guess what, both look the same; same dates of service and milages except for that accident date and front page. On new CARFAX (from BMW dealer) shows that the car was in the accident on 02/04/2009 and that 0n 09/23/2009 vehicle was sold at auction in FL and it also says that STRUCTURAL DAMAGE DISCLOSED BY SELLER. Then it also says on the bottom of that date that carfax began reporting this information on 04/15/2010. WTF 14 months after the accident and they claim that you can trust them. Also on latest CARFAX on the front page shows two exclamation marks structural/frame damage reported Accident/damage reported, where on the old one (the one from the dealer that sold mi the car) front page says NO ACCIDENT/DAMAGE reported to cerfax and this report was printed out on 12/2/2009(8 after the accident) by the dealer. Now why dealer will show and give me the his CARFAX of this car and told me that the car was never in the accident knowing that it was??? It shows on the new carfax that the damage was disclosed by seller to the buyer at the time of sale at the auction??? What to do now??? Who to blame??? I guess the dealer should take this car back and gave me all the money back or the CARFAX should take this car off my hands as it says on their website.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Actual WIZARD

Get in touch with carfax, and verify that their records are correct. If so, I would assume that the Dealer/individual that sold you the car, photoshopped/edited the papers he gave you

Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 AM
4th Gear

Agreed, but if you can verify that Carfax themselves were messed up, I think they will compensate you, since you bought a car at full price based on their report.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Senior Administrator

I'm with these guys. CARFAX should/may cover this difference in resale.

That being said, they (CARFAX) get their info from the various states' motor vehicles' departments and insurance companies . They can only report what has been reported to them. another avenue of redress MAY be through your insurance company against whatever insurance company company the original accident claim was made through. I know that, if YOUR insurance company had KNOWN that the car had been in a previous accident, THEY would not have insured it, for you. Especially with previous frame damage. The original insurance claim was not reported in a timely manner, sounds like. Maybe get a lawyer, too, if you haven't already done so.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

I contacted CARFAX support via email because when you call them they dont have a live person to talk to, so here it is:

Below is CARFAX's response to your recent inquiry.

Subject
re: About carfax report not showing an accident

Discussion Thread
Response (Chrissy) 02/07/2011 01:23 PM
Hello Patrick

Thank you for taking the time to contact us by email. My name is Chrissy and I will be assisting you with your issue.

I'm sorry to learn that you purchased a vehicle with damage that later came as a surprise to you.

We regret that the 2/4/09 Florida accident record was not available to CARFAX at the time that you purchased your CARFAX report. Any CARFAX report may change on a day to day basis as new data sources are obtained and additional data is loaded into our database.

When we locate a new source, we work as quickly as possible to receive and publicly display the data collected. Some sources also provide historical records that were previously unavailable on any vehicle history report. As a result, new records (both recent and historical records) are added to update the CARFAX Report on a regular-basis.

With this in mind, we state on every report that "A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car."

We include this notice to encourage customers to have an inspection and test drive done and to help ensure that our customers understand the data we provide on the CARFAX Vehicle History Report.

Reporting as much information as possible while suggesting a physical inspection assists consumers in making better decisions about used cars and despite not receiving all events from every available provider of vehicle history information, we’re pleased to provide customers with information that might not have been revealed otherwise.

Unless you have further questions/concerns I can address for you, thank you for the opportunity of assisting you today.

Sincerely,

Chrissy
Consumer Affairs Analyst
Auto-Response 02/07/2011 10:33 AM
Thank you for contacting CARFAX. We received your inquiry and will respond via email as soon as possible.

Important Note: To ensure receipt of our replies, please add our address ("carfaxwebsupport@carfax.com") to your email contacts list.

***Please do not respond to this message. This is an automated message acknowledgement.***
Customer By Email (Patrick Olewinski) 02/07/2011 10:33 AM
to whom it may concern:

Hi my name is Patrick XXXXXX. On 12/22/2009 I bought 2007 Audi Q7, vin# wa1bXXXXXX94952; from a small dealer, in Brooklyn; using CARFAX vehicle history report. At that time the report showed that the car had no accident or damage reported to CARFAX. Two days ago on 2/5/2011 I went to the BMW dealer to see how much i can get, on the trade; for my car. After they ran my vin# with CARFAX, the new CARFAX report showed that my car was involved in front impact collision on 2/4/2009 and that the car had structural/frame damage. This accident happened 8 months before I bought my car, 8 months!!!!!!; and the CARFAX didn't show it on the report. Then how can the buyer, in this case is me; trust the CARFAX??? Also on the CARFAX from 2/5/2011 date shows that the CARFAX began reporting this information on 08/22/2010. We are talking here 18 months!!!!! after the accident date and 9 months after I bought the car!!!! In this case if the CRFAX didn't show it for 18 months , then the CARFAX should keep it that way because now, someone like me; is loosing a lot of money. I also don't feel safe to drive this car now, after knowing that my car was in the head on collision and had frame damage. I WOULDN'T BUY IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. 18 months??? Wow, how's your site supposed be trusted??? In 18 months the car could have three different owners.

My email is XXXXX@yahoo.com and my cell is 646 XXXXXXXX. I need someone to contact me ASAP!!!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

and here is my last to CARFAX
Ok, so basically the CARFAX doesn't want to take any responsibility for this error. What about CARFAX buy back guarantee??? I paid and used your service and this is what I get. I have both of the copies on me right now, one from 2/5/11 and the one when I bought the car in 12/22/09. Basically you guys are not reliable and I will report you guys to the Better Business Bureau.
I will take this both copies to my local news. The topic "Is CARFAX really safe, when it comes to buy a used car???" on the news is going to give the CARFAX a good reputation. You guys guaranties that if I find any problems that were reported by a DMV and not included in the report CARFAX will buy this veh back. It wasn't reported form 2/04/2009 (accident date) until 8/24/2010. We are talking here 18months. Its shouldn't be my problem but yours to find out and investigate why it took so long. I paid for service and it's yours responsibility not mine. I going with this everywhere and like I said, this will give CARFAX a good reputation. I will post it up everywhere on the Internet with pictures of both reports to prove. I'm contacting my attorney too.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
4th Gear

Nice reply back to Carfax. While I doubt threatening them is going to change their mind, the use of an attorney may be able to help compensate for the difference in the trade in value, and possibly the difference of the original purchase price you paid vs. what you should have paid had you (and the dealer) known of the previous damage...

Best of luck, please let us know how everything turns out in the end.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

wow. that's BS. just another reason to buy new.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

Lemon law? Look into that... My buddy has a range rover thats airbag light kept coming on.. he went for lemon law and got $8,000!!! He kept the vehical and they finally fixed the light..

Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

carfax is the root of all evil

Quick Reply: DON'T TRUST CARFAX - help