Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

don't be jealous....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: don't be jealous....

Grand Prix is a somewhat ambiguous term.
Generally it used to mean a F1 race (imho the best form of motosport). But now it usually refers to just about any type of race.

The Long Beach Grand Prix started in 75 as a Formula 5000 race (premier open wheel road course race series in those days).
It became a F1 race from 76 - 83. Then it became a CART race and is now the decendent of CART - Champ Car series. The San Jose race is also a Champ Car race.

Long Beach has always run on a street course, they set it up just for the 3 day event. I don't really like road courses..they are tight, they generally are 100% lined with concrete barriers, and there are very few places for passing to take place.

On the other hand, anytime you get a chance to see cars of this caliber compete, it is a blast! To hear the engines, and see how fast they accelerate and de-accelerate is a trip.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: abacab

Grand Prix is a somewhat ambiguous term.
Generally it used to mean a F1 race (imho the best form of motosport). But now it usually refers to just about any type of race.

The Long Beach Grand Prix started in 75 as a Formula 5000 race (premier open wheel road course race series in those days).
It became a F1 race from 76 - 83. Then it became a CART race and is now the decendent of CART - Champ Car series. The San Jose race is also a Champ Car race.

Long Beach has always run on a street course, they set it up just for the 3 day event. I don't really like road courses..they are tight, they generally are 100% lined with concrete barriers, and there are very few places for passing to take place.

On the other hand, anytime you get a chance to see cars of this caliber compete, it is a blast! To hear the engines, and see how fast they accelerate and de-accelerate is a trip.
well put. Thats exactly why i go ebery year.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: apg96

Mushbuh moufba? Isba datba youba? Iba benba wubunderin whubut youba benba upba to since youba lebeft duhba Fatba Albuhbert show...

Old 05-23-2005, 09:40 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

ORIGINAL: apg96

Mushbuh moufba? Isba datba youba? Iba benba wubunderin whubut youba benba upba to since youba lebeft duhba Fatba Albuhbert show...
LOL! too bad nobody's going to know what the hell youre talking about, awd...

Old 05-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Senior Administrator

Yeah, but it's still phunnie as heck!

Old 05-23-2005, 10:15 PM
4th Gear

ya i went to the one in florida a couple years back, they closed down streets, it was awesome, thoughs things r so loud and thye fly around the track