Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dolly and Bears and Dragons, oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:33 AM
1st Gear
Default Dolly and Bears and Dragons, oh my!

So, this past weekend my girlfriend and I went to Gatlinburg, TN. For those of you who don’t know, it’s a little-ish city based solely on the fame of Dolly Parton. Okay, well Dolly Parton and being right next to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Which is freaking beautiful, btw. But anyways, I did some crazy stuff with my A4, and took some pictures, so I thought I’d share. Here’s me teaching it how to articulate:

And from the rear:

And more:

So then we went back to the cabin to relax, and while we were upstairs we heard some crazy noise. So I freak out and run down to see what’s up and find a FREAKING BEAR destroying our hot tub cover. 5 hours in Gatlinburg and a bear attacks. Mind you, the people that rent this cabin had just replaced the cover not 30 minutes after we got there. So, anyways, he sees me grab my camera and snag some pics, and as I switch to video mode, he stares me down for a second, then moseys off.
Pics:

And link to video:
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...ear_HotTub.flv
It was pretty nuts. We talked the guide for our rafting trip the next day, and he said he had lived there for 5 years and hadn’t seen a bear yet. We saw one in 5 hours. Craziness… Anyways, upon leaving the rafting place I got to do some ‘froadin’. Here’s the after effects. Made some red necks in their spotless Superdutys look at me funny to spray mud all over the place in a shiny A4. It made me smile

I wish I had taken some pics of the climb up to our cabin, because it was about an 8 minute drive up (about 3 down), mostly above 35 degrees, with some places closer to 50 degrees. But, I did take some of possibly the best part of the trip.

I found the Tail of the Dragon!!! Or Deals Gap, or Highway 129. Whatever you want to call it. But it was amazing. More info for people not in the know here. (http://www.tailofthedragon.com/) It has 318 curves in 11 miles. ~ 29 turns per mile. It was siiiick. There were about 20-25 motorcycles per car, and everybody was just tearing it up. Except for the random old man in a Buick… But anyways, I stopped for a picture near the top of the mountain, about halfway through to let my baby cool off for a bit, then rode it hard the rest of the way down. Got a shirt and 2 dragon stickers for the car at the end. I’m so proud of having driven it, and I was so happy that I just did the ST chip before the trip. However, I think I got a boost leak on the way home or something . But, that’s about it. Here’s pics from 129. If you get a chance, go. It was super awesome.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:01 AM
3rd Gear

Great pictures, looks like a nice place. The bear probably liked the smell of the cover or something, he was going at it whtn you caught it!

Old 08-30-2009, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

Thanks, I only wish we could have stayed longer. One weekend was just not enough. And I think he was thirsty. Who knows, though.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:38 AM
5th Gear

who's that cute indian chick? the bear looks almost like a rly big koala lol. you shoulda killed it and eaten it hehe. great pix man. i feel sorry you car had to go through all that mud though

Old 08-30-2009, 04:40 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
who's that cute indian chick? the bear looks almost like a rly big koala lol. you shoulda killed it and eaten it hehe. great pix man. i feel sorry you car had to go through all that mud though
I think that's his GF. So did you hike after knowing the bear was in there or just stayed in the cabin with your GF (no dirty minds here)?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dan1969
I think that's his GF. So did you hike after knowing the bear was in there or just stayed in the cabin with your GF (no dirty minds here)?
Yup, that's the GF. She is cute. We actually hiked first, then got back to find the bear. But he was so cute that he didn't scare us indoors. We could handle that on our own...

Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 PM
5th Gear

nice find bro. haha that bear didn't scare you when you were inside huh. you shoulda gave it a hug to show your warm welcoming. i mean he/she came to welcome you lol

Old 08-30-2009, 11:08 PM
4th Gear

looks like you had loads of fun lol "froadin" in an audi FTW!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

^^ For sure. I hated it at the time, b/c it scared me at first (and cleaning it later), but the looks those rednecks gave me made it all worth it. Made me miss abusing my mom's Cherokee.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Banned

Nice collection.But at last Wat you did to your car.Take care of your car.