Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dogs going back

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:50 AM
4th Gear
Default Dogs going back

Well my pup Tyson that I got 3-4 months ago is going back to the humane society today. He has always been a jerk around other dogs because he thinks he is Alpha, and I have done everything I could to correct this with no luck. Sunday just put me over the limit with him though. My brothers and friends were over having a good time even though it was raining. While I was tending to the grill he snaped at my friends lil daughter when she was walking with him. Tyson and this 3yr old girl are buddies and when she would leave he would wine. Then the last straw, he was sitting behind a friend and Jazmine was walking up and he went after her. I got up and corrected him and he growled at me. I stepped back for a second tothink abouthow I want to handle this since the kids and friends were in a small area. (firstthought was to punch him in the face) I went back up to him and quickly grabed his collar before he could bite me and drug him out the garage and put him in his cage.

Now if this happened when I first got him I would be willing to work with him but since I have had time to establish my Alpha role there is not reason for such behavior. I really hate to get rid of him because he has been very quick to teach and HAS been very nice around kids and people. [&o]

Old 08-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja
Default RE: Dogs going back

Have Chocodog punch him in the throat..
she'll put him in his place [:@]

well - sorry you have to get rid of the new dog...
but it defenitely sounds like uve had the best intentions & thought everything through..
sux Tyson defenitely has some issues - maybe its that name u gave him

Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 AM
3rd Gear

Damn Chris, that sucks bro. Getting rid of animals (for me anyway) is not an easy thing to do.. but it sounds like you have no choice. There is really no reason an animal should treat his master or his/her friends like that, ESP. children.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:00 PM
4th Gear

Yea I really liked this dog but I have to throw in the towel. I dont want to take the chance of him snapping again and getting someone. I took him to this place I brought Jazmine to for obedience training for an evaluation. They said he seemed to be workable as far as with other dogs and listen's very well, but wanted to see how both Jazmine and him get along. That evaluation was suposed to be yesterday but canceled it because of what happened Sunday. When I canceled the lady asked for details and said he sounded like a good dog for their doggy bootcamp. I told her maybe but I dont want a dog I cant train myself.

He is bigger in size than Jazmine but she runs circles around him and can still knock him off his feet.

Tyson is not making this any easier for me today either. All day he has been on my side and being more affectionate than normal. But I gots to do it. Maybe someone will take him and do good things with him. I fear being American Bulldog and Pit that he might go to the wrong person.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:25 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah, Tyson knows what's up so he's sucking up to ya. That mix can be dangerous if he would get into the wrong hands, hopefully the shelter he's going to does some sort of background checks on the potential owners. Here in SuFu you have to go through a huge background check, verify you're going to walk the dog a minimum of 2 miles a day and so on.... hopefully this all works out for ya Chris, keep us informed

Old 08-21-2007, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

That's really too bad... but when bully breeds show signs of human aggression there is really no other choice as it is inevitable they will snap and when they do it is never good.

It is common for bully breeds to have aggression issues with other dogs (or small animals) but when this is displayed towards humans it is unacceptable.

I know it must be tough... but you really can't afford a problem in the future!

Old 08-21-2007, 02:11 PM
4th Gear

Yea the humane society I got him from and am bringing him back to does home inspections and all that good stuff. Jazmine is great with other dogs and never have had a problem with her. Maybe its genetics or maybe its a gender. Eh well im going to let Jazmine & Tyson out to play for a few for the last time then cruze him over.

Thanks for the support you guys rock!

Old 08-21-2007, 02:40 PM
3rd Gear

Good luck man! It's hard seeing a part of the family go (yes I consider dogs and cats to be a part of the family). I think it was Tyson being an Alpha male more than anything but it's hard to see them go none-the-less...

Old 08-21-2007, 03:43 PM
4th Gear

Yes he does try to be Alpha with a lot of things. And I also am one of those people that look at there pets as kids. My friends and family always make jokes about how my "kids" are.

I just got back and they said they dont have the room right now and they could not take him anyhow with that type of behavior. If they did take him he would be sent to get put down. [:'(]Idont see him bad enough toget put down so he is looking for alternatives. Wierd thing is this shelter is a no kill shelter and he often takes in Pits from other places before they are put down.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:35 PM
4th Gear

That stinks about the pooch. he flip side is that if he sets in on someone, particluarly a kid, you would never forgive yourself and for sure the others wouldn't. Happens down here about once a week and it's never good. So sorry as I know it hurts. Explaining to Chocodog will not be easy and is likely to scare the crap out of her.

Quick Reply: Dogs going back