Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Do We Need a Black History Month

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Do We Need a Black History Month

ORIGINAL: PandaXpress

I would like to first say that I am not a racist or anything close to one
You might not be racist, but you sure get some of your opinions from racist people if you think that black history is composed of nothing more than slavery and segregation.Black History Month is not just about pointing out all of the bad things that happened, but about makingcurrent generations aware of all of the positive influences and acheivements made by black people. It's not a time to focus on and wallow inthe bad though many do, but rather a time to educate all who otherwise wouldn't know about the good AND the bad.

And by the way, there IS theAsian Pacific American HeritageMonth,National Hispanic Heritage Month,National American Indian Heritage Month, Greek-American History Month, Womens' History Month, Filipino-American History Month, Polish-American History Month and so onto go along with Black History Month.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Administrator

naw man i dont share the same opinions of a racist
i just like to touch on sensitive topics and see what people think once in a while
we all just cant be looking at the thong thread you kno

i dont want to offend anyone

i did forget about those months, i was making this topic late at night instead of studyin for my econ test

And by the way, there IS theAsian Pacific American HeritageMonth,National Hispanic Heritage Month,National American Indian Heritage Month, Greek-American History Month, Womens' History Month, Filipino-American History Month, Polish-American History Month and so onto go along with Black History Month.
but they arent even promoted at all i guess, do u even kno wat monthall of those are onwith out researching

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

ORIGINAL: PandaXpress

I would like to first say that I am not a racist or anything close to one
You might not be racist, but you sure get some of your opinions from racist people if you think that black history is composed of nothing more than slavery and segregation.Black History Month is not just about pointing out all of the bad things that happened, but about makingcurrent generations aware of all of the positive influences and acheivements made by black people. It's not a time to focus on and wallow inthe bad though many do, but rather a time to educate all who otherwise wouldn't know about the good AND the bad.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Administrator

im not sayin get rid of it, its more like why do we have it or need it
its like how our money says IN GOD WE TRUST
it serves no purpose and its just there and doesnt really bother or do anything to me at all

ORIGINAL: Swaynest

what you are all saying may or may not be true but if a politician ever attempted to pass a bill getting rid of black history month it would be career suicide

Old 02-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

yeah I can see points everyones making.. but I agree.
theres nothing wrong w/ celebrating our US history.. good bad or indifferent.

Asian / pacific islander heritage month is May ( I only know this bec Im of Filipino decent)
& yes its not as widely known - but thats our own fault.. asian / pac isl. americans
should do more to promote awareness etc.

I know Cheng isnt a racist etc.hes the nicest guy..
but I do feel we NEED to keep bringing up the past. especially the bad parts.

what if we just forgot about the halocaust or didnt mention the civil rights struggles
of the 60's...

and we are FAR from being a perfect nation. Racism / prejudice exist everywhere - and probably always will. so we have a long way to continue to fight against ignorance.

just remember:

original: George Santayana
Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

I think bringing up the past would be alright to certain point because we do learn from history.
However, some are taking advantages of the past; in which case like Trey25 mentioned, get a life.

The past are there so we won't make the same mistake but some people are taking advantages of it making it seems like we owe them something because of the past (I am talking in general, not pointing at any race). We did have changed the wrong things we did in the past and what more can be done other than not repeating it?

To be honest, I have no problem with Black History Month but do we seriously need a month for it?

Also, I totally laughed out loud after reading what germantech wrote. Thanks for posting one of our GTG pictures. That was when we had a KKK ritual installing the KKK turbo. [8D]

And yes, I can assure you PandaXpress is not a racist.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:25 PM
4th Gear

hmmm...

Well, if we have a Black and AsianHistory Month should we not honor others... such races as the American Indian (there may already be one), Mexican, Middle Eastern, Eskimo, etc...

But why stop at race? why not race or nationalities...?

Personally, being proud of one's heritage is a great thing (I'm part German andWelsh)- but we need to stop looking at each other as being so dramatically different that we should get special recognition and perhaps being American will mean something other than being ahyphenated adjective...

just another 2 cents worth from a Whitey in Bako

Old 02-26-2008, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear

While you may feel that telling the world not to be racist, or reminding people about the past is beating a dead horse, those statements are huge reasons for why the world in in such turmoil as it is.

People have a natural tendency to focus on only that which is in their immediate scope of vision. If they don't feel it has any value to them in the long run, they ignore it. When people focus on these things, however, change happens. Changes such as, Arizona finally recognizing Martin Luther King Day as a holiday, or Native Americans getting huge grants for college, or women's writes to vote, and so on.

Black History Month in itself, doesn NOTHING for you or I, it's the concept that Black History Month represents which is supposed to be the focus. people being aware of the differences between our many people of the world.

White history month??? Are you kidding?? That's like 90% of the history I've been taught all of my life. I had to actually LOOK and research most of the tings I know about minorities.

BET is definitely not unfair either, as WET (white entertainment channel) would probably comprise of most TV stations that exist.

Black History Month serves its purpose, just like Brest Cancer Awareness week, or Toys for Tots, or whatever event of something that comes up. It's all about awareness and recognition.

Oh, and to those saying that people asking for reparations are wrong.... reparations were supposed to be given to us long ago, just like how native Americans were supposed to be given land, just like how Japanese interment victims were supposed to be paid. It wouldn't seem like such an injustice if most of you could trace your family history or even last name back to a slave or two.

The worst part is, people literally get millions of dollars because their family member was killed in 9/11, but the families of those who die at war, or died in a camp, or as a slave, get ****.

Awareness...

Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM
4th Gear

alot of good points panda, but treys got some good points too whereas BHM is more aobut celebrating important individuals, although i do agree that that speaker was horrible, but then again it wouldnt be the first time i heard speeches like what you said.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:12 PM
5th Gear

who do you think started black history month? black people. if asians want an asian history month they should create one. they certainly deserve it. if white people want a white history month, all they gotta do is put forth the effort. The thing with black history month is so many black people acknowledge it and it is important to them, so you hear so much more about it.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

thats what we were saying above Brian...

there is asian / pacific isl. month (its may) etcetc
and we (asian / pac isl etc) need to do more to have it recognized.

on another note.. I dont say im filipino American. etc. etc.

Im American.

Quick Reply: Do We Need a Black History Month