Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Do We Need a Black History Month

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:29 AM
Administrator
Default Do We Need a Black History Month

I would like to first say that I am not a racist or anything close to one
You can ask any of the AudiForums SoCal people who I have hung around with

While was at school there was a few people rallying about Black history month in the quad and it got me thinking. The person had a speech about

Equality, Lynching, Racism, and moving on to the future

This got me thinking

The first thing about equality, why is there a black history month, why do we need one, I believe it’s unfair to the rest of the people in this country (I not saying get rid of it or anything because Black history month does not bother me in anyway). We do not have a white history month, Asian history month or even a Middle Eastern history month, I guess maybe because there aren’t enough months in a year and we cant share I guess. But doing this aren’t we giving them special treatment and abusing the other races. If Black history month was created to acknowledge the struggles and pains of African Americans shouldn’t we have an Asian History month also to acknowledge the pain of the Chinese being used as slave labor to build the rail roads or the fact that we imprisoned innocent Japanese in WWII, and so on.

And now Lynching and moving on into the future, I just want to say lynching is in the past, it’s not like it happens all the time in this day and age. I believe they should stop bringing up all the bad things that has happened to them in the past, reminding a world where the majority of the people aren’t that racist is wrong. Majority of the people aren’t racist and you don’t have to keep reminding them don’t be racist, most of the world knows racism is wrong, you are telling people something they already know.

And the people who are racist you think they are going to listen to the people they hate, I don’t think so

How are we supposed to move on and forget about the dark times in history if they keep bringing it up and reminding us? Yes you where mistreated in the past and you where used and abused but once again its in the past and we cant change it, all we can do is move on and not do the same mistakes again.

Can’t you just forgive and forget?

Why do we owe them anything? Did it happen to you, I don’t think it did? How are you going to move on if you keep asking for everything. You don’t really see Chinese people asking for anything or the Japanese. WHAT MAKES YOU SO SPECIAL

Once again I am not a racist, I’m not trying to change anything or get rid of anything. I just want find a reason for having Black history Month

I just thought the speaker was a horrible one, and it got me thinking
I can keep going on about this but I’m feeling lazy

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT OR ARGUE

Old 02-26-2008, 02:46 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Do We Need a Black History Month

IMO black history month is more about celebrating the lives of people who were instrumental in bringing about social changes. It's not just about bringing up the negatives. Ofcourse people have forgave but this country should never forget its past, both the good and bad. Now do I think other minorities should have their own month of remberance? Hell yea, we can't forget the struggles of the native americans and asians. Why only blacks have a month? I dunno, you'd have to ask the powers that be... From what I've seen the only blacks who continue to bitch about the past injustice are the ones who still harbor that hatred. They're the ones asking for reparations too. Ha! just cause your great great granddaddy was a slave doesn't mean you're entitled to ****. Get a job fool![/rant] Anyways, this country was built on the backs of minorities and they're all entitled to their month.

Since we're on the subject of inequality. Why whenever I make a call I gotta press 1 for english and 2 for spanish? What happened to press 3 for tagalog or 4 for hindi? Why can't they cater to everyone. I think you see where I'm going with this.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 AM
1st Gear

I completely agree.
but am way to tired to put up a huge rant.
ill rant later.

black history month.
stupid.

black history.
not stupid.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:43 AM
SoCal Crew Member

if you look carefully you can see cheng in the middle with the black wrist band

j/k
cheng is a great guy and i know he does not want to offend anyone, so if this offended you get a life

ASIAN POWER!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:48 AM
2nd Gear

kill whitey!! oh wait, nm... yes i could add, but i wont.. one things... there is BET.. but no WET? now that sounds like fun! lol hey what's that hose for?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator

posting pics of our old monthly gtgs john
if i recall ur to the right of me

ORIGINAL: germantech

if you look carefully you can see cheng in the middle with the black wrist band

j/k
cheng is a great guy and i know he does not want to offend anyone, so if this offended you get a life

ASIAN POWER!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:02 AM
4th Gear

i wouldnt say a month of it..

definitely recognition for all of the blacks though that helped and influence the movement towards true equal rights (though they still really are "equal" IMHO)

but still, shuold recognize like MLK day, but a month? idk, whites dont really celebrate a month for those who fought against britain and formed the country... independence day not month so yea...

i guess you get my jist but thats just my 2 cents

Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

i just have a problem with calling it "black history". i totally agree that we need to celebrate the brave people who brought about change, but the very nature of calling it "black history" seems to reinforce the negative aspects.
i agree we need to then see white history, asian history, native american history....everything.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:14 AM
4th Gear

I think you all need some Gil Scot Heron to sort this out.

http://www.gilscottheron.com/lywhitey.html

Actually this guy was amazing.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:44 AM
2nd Gear

what you are all saying may or may not be true but if a politician ever attempted to pass a bill getting rid of black history month it would be career suicide

Quick Reply: Do We Need a Black History Month