Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Do not Text while Driving - Warning: Disturbing content

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Do not Text while Driving - Warning: Disturbing content

A very disturbing PSA video that does make you realise that dangers of using a mobile phone (texting) when driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ttNgZDZruI

The clip includes graphic scenes of the victims being battered about inside the car.

Sat, Sep 05, 2009
AFP

LONDON, ENGLAND - A graphic British police video about the dangers of sending text messages while driving has become a worldwide hit on the Internet.

A four-minute, 16-second clip showing the horrifying three-car crash has been seen millions of times on the video-sharing website YouTube.

It shows a 17-year-old girl called Cassie Cowan causing the accident through texting while driving in Tredegar, a town in southeast Wales. Her two friends and two parents in an oncoming car are killed.

The brutal crash clip includes graphic scenes of the victims being battered about in Cowan's car, followed by her screaming amid the carnage as passers-by struggle to help.

The film, by the local Gwent Police force, cost 10,000 pounds (S$23,506) to make and was intended to be shown locally.

However, it has attracted interest from around the world, with coverage by US newspapers and television stations.

"It has had a massive global reaction," said budding local actress Jenny Davies, 18, who plays the blood-soaked crash survivor Cowan.

"It is really important that it is as realistic as possible as (otherwise) people are not going to believe it and it is not going to affect people.

"Even though people say it is shocking and gory, it is important it is like that. For people my age, that is what I think affects us."

On texting at the wheel, she added: "I think people are finally realising how dangerous it is."

Gwent Police are calling it "the film that will stop you texting and driving".

"Seeing a scenario, like the one Cassie goes through, played out right before your eyes makes you realise how extremely dangerous it can be and what devastating consequences it can have," said Chief Inspector John Pavett.

"I hope that after watching this film motorists will think twice before picking up their mobile phone when behind the wheel, and realise that a quick reply to a text message or answering a phone call is never worth putting theirs and other people's lives at risk."

The full 30-minute film, called "Cow", is due to screen on BBC Wales in October.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:16 PM
4th Gear

im still gonna text while i drive :P

Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Senior Administrator

I think the fact that they have to *stage* such an accident diminishes, slightly, from the overall message, which I feel is 1000% valid, having wrecked my '93 V6 Camry SE a 4 yeras ago texting while driving.

FORTUNATELY, ALL I HIT was a jersey-wall, and not another vehicle, although there were several around me. The impact from hitting the wall threw me into the next lane, inches from taking out an unsuspecting driver and only reflexes honed from YEARS of rollin down the Autobahns/Autostradas/Autoroutes of Europe saved me from destroying someone elses' car, too.

Nothing is SOOO important that you have to risk your sheetmetal, your life, and the lives of other, innocent people, just so you can txt yo peeps.

LEARN from the mistakes of others.

DON'T be stoopit, just for the sake of being stoopit!

STOP DOING IT!

ALL OF YOU!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 AM
3rd Gear

I thought America was over this...

Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Texting while driving is nearly as bad as driving drunk. I have see cars almost everyday that are braking for no reason, swerving in their lane, or just moving erratically, and almost everytime there is a texter behind the wheel.

When did a stupid text to your friend become more important than road safety? You wouldnt write an essay or read a book while you drive, so DONT TEXT WHILE DRIVING. I wish that police had more power to penalize people for being so stupid and dangerous.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Guru

If you see someone texting while driving do something that NASCAR does during a race. Get up under them and put them into the wall.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

While driving receiving phone is dangerous for your life.It is also breaking the traffic rule.Its a good article of making people aware of it.If you have to save life,better not do any text while driving.