Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Do laser sights work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:10 PM
2nd Gear

Okay I answered my own question today since I went ahead and bought it after it went on sale. It sucks. You can't even see the thing at more than 15 yards in the daylight, and when you can, it's not accurate. I did better at 25 yards just taking my time and using some support than I did at 10 yards using the laser. I expected it to be a little low, but it was WAY low. Oh well, lesson learned. If it comes down to it and I actually need to use my gun for home defense, it'll be at close range anyway. I like the idea of a shotgun with a light - can't miss.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Senior Administrator

This is where the classy guy resists the urge to say, "I tol u so."

I ain't him, so:
Originally Posted by AWDaholic
Before you drop loot on a mechanical aid that will only allow you to point out where your shots are going wrong, find someone who can coach you on your technique. You NEED to learn the basics of firing a weapon.

Breathing
Trigger squeeze
Stance & hold

Work on THOSE, FIRST, then think about the laser. Here's why:

If your technique sucks all a laser sight will do is prove what you already know, you shoot for ****.

Talk with the guys at your local range. Ask one of them to take you through some dry-fire dime-washer drills, or some similar practice, to steady your hold and develop a smooth trigger-pull.

Then...

Work your way through a few thousand rounds, over time, and you will see that it's all about your technique, not gadgets.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

I have a laser on my glock and it will do you no good unless you know how to shoot. If you don't shoot properly your trigger squeeze will throw off the aim of the gun no matter how accurate the laser... Mine cost me about $210 and I use in the brightest of days and can still see it, but nothing compares to putting those irons center mass and letting her rip! The main thing I use the laser for is if I have someone at point yet need to look away say 2 subjects i know my gun is still on that person.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Administrator

There were, like, 6-7 people besides myself who suggested his money & time were better spent on practice and practice rounds, as opposed to a laser, but you just can't tell some people.

Even with that, based on his follow-up comments, I'm guessing his laser is "sighted" incorrectly, or, worse yet, his sights are off. $10.00 bet with anybody who posts before he does that he says his sights/the laser were aligned *perfectly* or *professionally* so it must be a crappy laser that caused it to not line up with where his rounds hit, as opposed to...

Yoooouuuuu knooooooooowwwww...

Any takers?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Tech Guru

^ Double post... FAIL! lol but seriously Jazz is right.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by airguard350
^ Double post... FAIL!
Using ONLY the skilzzz in my baby-finger, I fixed it! Retro WIN!

Old 03-22-2010, 11:50 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
This is where the classy guy resists the urge to say, "I tol u so."
I *knew* you wouldn't be able to resist - I'd have been amazed with anything else.

Yes, I listened to the advise of everyone suggesting lots of practice, but my original question was, "Does the thing work," because I was told that they aren't very accurate. My goal is not to become a marksman - I don't have the time or the interest. The goal is to hit the guy breaking into my house before he hits me. I'm sure if the situation actually happened I wouldn't be thinking about stance, breathing and squeezing. Maybe for those of you with years of military training it just comes naturally after a while, which would be very cool, but I'm just a nerdy computer guy that wants to protect his sh*t.

In terms of the accuracy of the laser versus user error, I used the same exact technique with and without the laser to test it. I may not be the greatest shot, but I'm not an idiot. For one, you can tell right away that the gun's sights are looking at a completely different spot than the laser is hitting. The sights are accurate, even for me, so that right there tells me the laser is off. Since the laser replaces the guide rod, there is no adjustment to be made.

So, thanks again for the advice, especially those that actually tried to answer the question. For anyone looking at this particular type/brand of laser sight, save your money.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:20 AM
Senior Administrator

Oh, but, they ARE accurate. It's your shooting that was off, as I said in my original post, mon frere. Light ONLY travels in a straight line, regardless of the wavelength. So, even though this remains beyond your ken, it DOES work. It pointed EXACTLY where it was pointed. The physics behind lasers are taught in 8th grade science. Perhaps you were home sick that week. There are fewer things known to man more accurate than a laser.

Bullets, projected from a handgun, however, are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate; ESPECIALLY in the hands of an untrained novice, such as yourself.

Despite what you say, you obviously did NOT listen. You are obviously so full of your own certitude you are incapable of heeding good advice simply because it comes from someone you do not like. Grow up!

You know, I am almost glad you did not listen. Maybe the several hundred-dollar lesson WILL teach you something: There is NO SUBSTITUTE for hard work, BOY! Now, some unsolicited advice you'd do well to heed... Go, sell the laser to someone more clueless than you (trust me, they are out there) and use the money to buy some more bullets and range-time.

We ALL told you; but, you went and spent anyway. Next time, save some time and just do what you are gonna do, irregardless of sage advice, and just tell us abut the FAIL, OK?

Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 AM
Senior Administrator

...let me relate this to your realm, would you give a tool like Retina, SARA, or Webinspect to a complete novice and turn him loose on your network? Only telling him, "as long as you have the right IP, you're on target"? No. Because, it takes SOME amount of time training to use something dangerous, like a gun or a vulnerability-scanning app. You may as well run up and down the hallways with a sharp, pointy stick for all the good it'll do you, if someone does violate the sanctity of your home and you pull out a weapoon you have not bothered training on.

Why not buy a Katana (the sword, not the bike; although, either would be equally useful) instead? Or, some thermo-nuclear hand-grenades?

Here's some even better advice: Upgrade your home security system. Infrared cameras at key perimeter points. Tie it in to a lighting system and a few terabytes of storage in your basement... Continuous monitoring, overwriting the oldest data, first... Activated by motion detectors... All managed, of course, safely from your command-center/bedroom, where no one can hurt ums... Maybe home-build a nice auto-dialer to contact the 911 operator to send some people who are TRAINED TO HANDLE WEAPONS!!!

Look, you don't like me, I get that. I don't care, but, I understand your baseless fears. You mean less than nothing, to me, so, when you asked your question I responded with the best advice I know how to give... Followed up by no less that 5 other people saying the EXACT SAME THING!!! You went against the UNANIMOUS advice and, what? Expect NOT to get ridiculed...

I will try this, again, even though I realize you eHat the source; slowly, so even YOU can follow along:

Spend

your

money

on

range

time

and

ammo

making

sure

to

clean

your

weapon

thoroughly

between

ranges

or

it

will

hurt

you.

Anyone ELSE who cares to echo my refrain, for Mr. Money-to-waste>brains, feel free to waste your time, too.
[/~Jazz=DONE]

Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

If you want something that will be able to protect you without being huge look into "The Judge" great fire arm. If I can find the video they made of it you will **** bricks it's awesome. Guy sitting in a car with a piece of paper over the window, the senerio is someone walks up and trys to rob you. They pull a glock and shoot over the shoulder out the window. leaves holes... they do it again w/ the judge 1/2 the paper is gone!

Quick Reply: Do laser sights work?