Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Digital Photography

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 03:49 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Digital Photography

ORIGINAL: Woodhead2k

Nice to see some fellow photographers! I dont think I've posted any of my photos but here are a few of my favoritesand a link to my gallery (Isnt the biggest yet just getting too lazy to upload)

Oh and I use the Cannon Powershot S5 IS w/ a telescopic andwide attachments

EDIT: Click on the photo to expand

http://woodhead2k.deviantart.com/art/New-Years-73539095
http://woodhead2k.deviantart.com/art...-Lime-73278757

http://woodhead2k.deviantart.com/art...Shore-73235530
http://woodhead2k.deviantart.com/art...uette-76822153

Gallery: http://woodhead2k.deviantart.com/gallery/
Very nice pictures!! Why aren't any prints available on Slice of Lime?? That was my favorite one.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:50 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: ThePaintballGuy

Oh that sucks. Look for the "M" on the dial to change your shooting modes. You probably have a "P" or "A" or something right?

As for the lenses then make a big difference depending on what lens you have and what your are shooting. Here is what I have:

1. Sigma 28-70mm f2.8
2. Sigma 70-300mm f4
3 Nikon 60mm f2.8 Macro

Here is what all that means:

Sigma and Nikon are the brands. The nikon lens is much nicer than the sigma lenses because they have better glass in them and are just overall built better.
The XXmm numbers are the zoom. Once you get to SLR you don't really have a "10x" optical zoom or anything like that anymore. It's all measured in mm. The mm is the "Focal Length" of the lens. This is basically how far the lens is from the sensor. The Bigger the number the farther away the lens is which will result in a closer looking object. The smaller the number the farther the object is. The f number is the aperture of the lens or how much light the lens lets in. This is kind of confusing to understand because it's all backwards on how stuff works. LOL. The smaller the number the wider the lens opening is and will let more light in. The larger the number the smaller the opening is and the less light is let in. You can use this along with your shutter speed to get different exposures when taking pictures. You also use this to change the DOF or Depth Of Field when taking pictures. The more DOF you have the more things will be in focus in your picture. The less DOF the less things you have in focus in a picture. Here are some examples:

This picture was shot at a low f-stop number which gives me less DOF as you can see by the out of focus objects in the foreground and background. A general rule of thumb is if you want less DOF use a lower f-stop number. To get more DOF use a higher f-stop number.

This picture shows a huge DOF. As you can see the car is in focus along with the hill in the background. This was shot at a higher f-stop number.

Here is an example of the zoom capabilities of the 70-300mm lens. I was standing around 30 feet away from this when I took the picture.

Hopefully this helps some and I didn't confuse you to much. LOL

Josh
Great information, man - thanks.

And yeah, my camera has both a "P" and an "A", but I'm not sure what they do. And if my camera does have a manual mode, I can't figure it out. [:@]

::EDIT::

I've got an "M" on the dial, but I still don't know what to change and what not to change. LOL.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:00 PM
4th Gear

No problem.

As for the "P" and "A" you should also have an "S". Those stand for the different priority to shutter speed ("S") or Aperture ("A") or a combination of both ("P").

Here are examples of when you would want to use them:

1. Say you want to take pictures of someone running and you want to freeze the picture of him so there is no motion blur. To do this you will want to set the dial to "S" and then you can choose a faster shutter speed, anything about around 1/50 or so should be ok depending on the lighting conditions. WHen you do this the camera will automatically adjust the aperture to give you the correct exposure.

2. If you want to take DOF pictures then you will want to set the dial to "A" so you can choose your f-stop number. Just remember the higher the number the more DOF there is and the lower the number the less DOF there is. Also watch out for your shutter speed. If you set your aperture to a high number your shutter will slow itself down to still give you a correct exposure. If the shutter speed gets anywhere under 1/10th of a sec you will need a tri-pod or else you will get blurry pictures due to camera shake.

3. The "P" mode is a setting that will automatically set both your shutter and aperture to the correct exposure based off of what you are shooting. It will however let you control your whitebalance and a few other little things. I don't use this mode ever... actually I don't use any mode other than Manual on my camera.

Does your camera have the "M" on the dial on top?

Josh

::EDIT::

Ok, nevermind, I just saw that you do.

As for what to change just mess with the buttons on the camera. If you see a number that shows 1/XX or XX" that is your shutter speed (just the "X"s will be numbers). If it shows the fX that is your aperture. Next to it there should be a number that has a + or - sign. THis is your exposure. 0 is a correct exposure. Anything above that will be over-exposed, or show up lighter, and anything under 0 will be under-exposed and show up darker.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:07 PM
5th Gear

Yes, the "M" is on the dial on the top.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:10 PM
4th Gear

Look at the edit in my last post.

Josh

Old 02-09-2008, 04:13 PM
5th Gear

Thanks.

On the camera that I've got, will having different lenses do anything?? Or is that just with the SLRs??

Old 02-09-2008, 04:17 PM
4th Gear

No, on your camera you can't change the lens. It's built into the camera. On an SLR there are 2 parts, the body and the lens. Without the lens you don't get anything focused when you take a picture. If you want I can look around for a nice package for you. I know the Nikon D40x is a good entry level D-SLR (Digital SLR). They run about 400-600 depending on what lens you get with it.

Josh

Old 02-09-2008, 04:19 PM
5th Gear

Thanks, but you don't have to do anything like that - I don't have the cash for a new camera right now, but hopefully this summer.

If you don't mind, I'll probably PM you to help me look when I do have the cash.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:28 PM
4th Gear

Yeah for sure. Maybe by then I might be upgrading to a different camera and If so I will give you a good deal on mine.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

josh

Old 02-09-2008, 04:32 PM
5th Gear

Thanks. And good deals are always nice!!

I'm sure it'll at least be July or August before I commit myself to spending money on anything other than the car...

Quick Reply: Digital Photography