Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dear Audi (dear abby)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:26 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Dear Audi (dear abby)

dear audi

you all know i totaled my car...well now my dad says hes gettin sick of it being in front of the house because its in pieces..i told him i was selling it for parts....well now hes threatinin to tow the car away....so what i ask is, must i sell the car to the junkyard? or strip everything off so all he tows away is an empty shell?

signed
Car-less wonder

Old 11-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: AUDIjp98

dear audi

you all know i totaled my car...well now my dad says hes gettin sick of it being in front of the house because its in pieces..i told him i was selling it for parts....well now hes threatinin to tow the car away....so what i ask is, must i sell the car to the junkyard? or strip everything off so all he tows away is an empty shell?

signed
Car-less wonder
Ask yoruself one simple question:

WHAT WOULD ZORRO DO?!?!?!?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Zorro would leave the car and buy a horse so I would suggest do what Jazz would do.

After all, he is the AF Jerry Springers.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:58 PM
4th Gear

dear audi

signed
Car-less wonder
Car-less wonder,

1. How long has this been sitting in the drive for?
2. What attempt have you made to sell the parts?

Now I'm sure if you had a plan and truly marketed these parts (not just forums) they may go and show your dad that things are getting done, allowing you some time.

However if your dad had come on here and asked what he should do about his sons car, I would tell him to hook and tow that thing TODAY. I know its harsh and contradictory but I got personal experience with this situation. That car is going to sit there all busted up with nothing more than "intentions" for months which are going to turn into years unless someone takes action. It is your dads house and I imagine he dont want it looking like a backwoods farm house.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

Dear car-less wonder,
(and FYI to all who respond...this is the correct way to address the dear audi question. AWDaholic did NOT conform to the format as shown above.)

+1 to new2me. ya gotta look at any problem from both sides.
compromise, compromise, compromise.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

To the dad with the daughter:
Granted I am only 18 and have very limited experience, I have already taken an economics class and am into financial business, plus being her age maybe I can relate to her but probebly not (wow cant even spell). But from my understanding is she took out the loan, her BF is paying for it, but if any payments stop coming the bank comes after you, on this basis I would get a promisory note signed as soon as possible by a notery, and make sure with a laywer it will stand up in court. Seeing how you already hate him, chances are the relationship will not work out. I would sit down before the two of them and explain how long even a small loan can take to pay off making minimum payments. Also show them how much they will be paying in interest making minimum payments, belive me it will make their eyes pop out of their sockets. When my dad taught me all of this I decided I would not be getting a credit card untill I had a steady job out of college, it is too much of a risk to not be able to pay something off later, although the credit card example works for bank loans as well, just a lower interest rate (most of the time).
This research approach may take some time, but when they realize how long it can take to pay it off (you mentioned three years) at intrest it can get expensive. Encourage them to make over payments as much as they can so the loan is paid off sooner and it is out of your hair sooner.
My dad took this approach with me, along with my economics teacher, and it has really worked and made me realize do not buy what you cannot afford, even if you have the chance to pay it off slowly.
I hope this helps

Old 11-06-2007, 06:28 PM
4th Gear

the car is being sold lil by lil...its been out there for......4 weeks maybe? not long...i plan on gettin rid of it when i strip most of ibut i dont want that to be too soon

Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

JP98 I have one word for you EBAY, if you start posting that stuff up you will be amazed at how fast it sells

Old 11-06-2007, 06:48 PM
4th Gear

the car is being sold lil by lil...its been out there for......4 weeks maybe? not long...i plan on gettin rid of it when i strip most of ibut i dont want that to be too soon
Well thats about the point I would draw the line if I were you dad. What I would do if I was you is sit your dad down and say- "Look I know you dont like looking at that car out there any more than I do. Can we make a deal that I will list everything on ebay I want to sell for a maximum of (2) 7 day auctions with 2 days to prepare the parts for the listing. Maybe a total of 20 days starting today for simplicity reasons and on the 20th day it gets towed."

Old 11-06-2007, 08:38 PM
2nd Gear

Dear Audi...

I recently shot a guy in the face. While this is astandard activity for me, I totally spaced and wore my vintage sharkskin suit during the encounter. Now I've got horrible stains all over my irreplaceable suit! What do I do?! I have heard that lemon juice helps, butI never got around to stashing any lemon juice at the safehouse, and my handler is under surveillance so she can't bring me any for at least a week, by then the stains will probably have set permanently.Are there any alternatives that are typical "around the house" items? 12 year old Scotch maybe? Fulminated Mercury? Chloroform?Anything?! Please HELP!!

Signed,
Red-Bloodied American...

Quick Reply: Dear Audi (dear abby)