Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dear Audi (dear abby)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:00 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default Dear Audi (dear abby)

lets start a thread like dear abby but it will be called DEAR AUDI, say what ever is on your mind, ??S , comments , problems , life and even death...
open your hearts ,minds and souls

Old 11-06-2007, 06:41 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: Dear Audi (dear abby)

Dear Audi:

I want to sticker the bajeezus out of my Miata and let everyone know what's under the hood, since it's primarily my summer/weekend toy and race car, but I'm afraid everyone around will think it's just rice. How do I convince the local ricer crowd that it's a real car, and not just a Civic with an 'Integra swap' (painted heads)???

-Ricedentity Crisis

Old 11-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

ORIGINAL: germantech

lets start a thread like dear abby but it will be called DEAR AUDI, say what ever is on your mind, ??S , comments , problems , life and even death...
open your hearts ,minds and souls
hmmmmmm......what a novel idea!!!
and such a catchey title.

i'm afraid i'd need a new screen name and be placed under some kind of "witness protection program" to be here. but i'll always dish out advise.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: S4sweetee

hmmmmmm......what a novel idea!!!
and such a catchey title.
Sounds like someone wants credit....

Old 11-06-2007, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear

Good idea, Germantech!

Dear Audi -
I have a 19 year-old daughter who up to this point in her life has been very responsible. She's recently started seeing a new boyfriend - also 19. This 'kid' has already got one vehicle repossessed, and since he didn't have a job, or money to buy another vehicle, My daughter went to our credit union and took out a car loan in her name for this piece-of-*rap '86 K-5 Blazer for said BF. ( No co-signer, nothing! ). She also took out another $500 unsecured loan for 'incidentals" for him. The vehicle's already broken down at least twice, has numerous problems, and has no insurance as of yet.My daughter says she wanted to tell us about the loan (she kept it from us until we saw a bank statement) but the BF didn't want her to tell us "because we wouldn't like him then" ( we didn't like him BEFORE we found out about this ). Thekid is supposed to start a new job this week, and is supposed to get the cash to my dtr in time to make the pymts (3 yrs - $175/mo)

I need suggestions for securing my daughter's interest in this vehicle and/or ways to get this issue out of my hair. It's registered in both their names. Right now I don't have any keys, and the BF lives about 60 miles away.

(signed)
Frustrated dad

Old 11-06-2007, 01:30 PM
4th Gear

Right up a contract for the loan and make the little POS sign itat a notary.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

dear frustrated dad,
how was your daughter able to do this?you said "our" credit union....does this mean YOU are also unknowingly a part of this loan? cuz if so, then she had no right to do that.
if not, and she is able to do this on her own, you need to sit down with her and tell her that by funding her bf, she has put herself in a very awkward position with both her bf and her parents.
we all know (except your daughter)that theminute this relationship goes south, those monthly payments will dry up!! the problem is: how do you let your young daughter see this? my hunch is that she had a gut feeling it wasn't the right thing to do in the first place since she hid it from you. this will probably be the thing that comes back to haunt her andmay be her first lesson in life!!
my advise: have a heart to heart with her and explain the problems that can happen from this. don't be harsh, but get your point across. (i think anything to do with finances is strictly between 2 committed adults). i'd also try to be supportive of his trying to get a job and see if the loan can be changed over to him directly once he has a job.
people aren't supposed to borrow from friends and loved ones.....that's what BANKS are for!
if a person can't qualify for a loan at a bank, then what makes you think they'll pay YOU back.
good luck on this one!!
my other advise to you as a parent:
maybe you need this: [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: S4sweetee

dear frustrated dad,
how was your daughter able to do this?you said "our" credit union....does this mean YOU are also unknowingly a part of this loan? cuz if so, then she had no right to do that.
if not, and she is able to do this on her own, you need to sit down with her and tell her that by funding her bf, she has put herself in a very awkward position with both her bf and her parents.
we all know (except your daughter)that theminute this relationship goes south, those monthly payments will dry up!! the problem is: how do you let your young daughter see this? my hunch is that she had a gut feeling it wasn't the right thing to do in the first place since she hid it from you. this will probably be the thing that comes back to haunt her andmay be her first lesson in life!!
my advise: have a heart to heart with her and explain the problems that can happen from this. don't be harsh, but get your point across. (i think anything to do with finances is strictly between 2 committed adults). i'd also try to be supportive of his trying to get a job and see if the loan can be changed over to him directly once he has a job.
people aren't supposed to borrow from friends and loved ones.....that's what BANKS are for!
if a person can't qualify for a loan at a bank, then what makes you think they'll pay YOU back.
good luck on this one!!
my other advise to you as a parent:
maybe you need this: [sm=alcoholic.gif]
Also, remember, the HARSHER you are the MORE defensive your daughter WILL become. Try to approach it as an "understanding" parent who WANTS to help, not an ANGRY one that's trying to TEACH A LESSON!!! Like Kelly says, it seems she knew she wasn't doing the absoutely BEST thing, but, if you'll remember back to YOUR Y&D days, you did stoopit-sch11t, too. So, you can aleniate her, and spend teh next several years either regretting it (or, worse, in denial and further estrangement), or you can take teh high road, KNOW that she's gonna have an *oowie* at the end of this one, and be there, ready to help her pick up teh pieces. Of course, if you wanted to take teh RILLY high road, you won't even say, "I-TOLD-YOU-SO" when junior skips out on the debt.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks, S4Sweetee and AWDaholic -
I've already had that talk with her, taking the 'soft' approach, telling her how EXTREMELY disappointed her mother and I are with her, to jepordize her financial footing like that. No yelling / screaming - yet.

We were amazed that she could actually get the loan, having absolutely NO credit except a limited debit card. It's my wife's credit union, and the dtr has her own checking account associated to it.

My dilemina is a multitude of what if's(?) - What if he can't (or doesn't) pay? What if they break up? One of my options may be to apply some friendly pressure to his dad, who lives nearby me, to help him out. From what my dtr says though, there may be some resistance there.

I would like to have the ability to sieze the vehicle if necessary (with dtr's permission)

Old 11-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: karguy427

Thanks, S4Sweetee and AWDaholic -
I've already had that talk with her, taking the 'soft' approach, telling her how EXTREMELY disappointed her mother and I are with her, to jepordize her financial footing like that. No yelling / screaming - yet.

We were amazed that she could actually get the loan, having absolutely NO credit except a limited debit card. It's my wife's credit union, and the dtr has her own checking account associated to it.

My dilemina is a multitude of what if's(?) - What if he can't (or doesn't) pay? What if they break up? One of my options may be to apply some friendly pressure to his dad, who lives nearby me, to help him out. From what my dtr says though, there may be some resistance there.

I would like to have the ability to sieze the vehicle if necessary (with dtr's permission)
for those answers you're gonna need to take a copy of the loan agreement with you down to a laywre's office. Whose name is on the veh-reg? Looser or daughter? Enforcing a "handshake" agreement (or, in this case we'll call it a "kissing" agreement, since it's YOUR daughter involved) is difficult, at best. It all boils down to he-said/she-said. See if there is some way for looser to sign an agreement-topay document. ANYTHING with teh words "re-pay/pay back," and his signature is more enforcable than "his" word, for or against.

Quick Reply: Dear Audi (dear abby)