Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Daytona 500

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 09:05 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Daytona 500

jimmy johnson, shoulda been kasey kahne

Old 02-20-2006, 09:06 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: pturbo

So did anyone else doze off during the race? I sure am glad that ol' so-and-so won in his ugly *** car that no one wants. At least the pace car was kinda good looking.
Your probably right...I would much rather see 1 and maybe if im really really really lucky 2 lead changes in an entire race. That sounds awesome. Why watch the Daytona 500 where there are 27 lead changes. Oh, and I would love to watch NASCAR even more if the same driver won 14 out of 17 races like Shoe-maker did in 2004. God that would be awesome......Oooo and if I get REALLY lucky, maybe a driver will just decide he doesnt want to win and pull over to let his team mate win. Now that is exciting.......................................... ..........................

Old 02-20-2006, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 99a4audi

jimmy johnson, shoulda been kasey kahne
The #48 Chevrolet driven by JIMMIE Johnson.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:19 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: A41.8TQATL

So did anyone else doze off during the race? I sure am glad that ol' so-and-so won in his ugly *** car that no one wants. At least the pace car was kinda good looking.
Your probably right...I would much rather see 1 and maybe if im really really really lucky 2 lead changes in an entire race. That sounds awesome. Why watch the Daytona 500 where there are 27 lead changes. Oh, and I would love to watch NASCAR even more if the same driver won 14 out of 17 races like Shoe-maker did in 2004. God that would be awesome......Oooo and if I get REALLY lucky, maybe a driver will just decide he doesnt want to win and pull over to let his team mate win. Now that is exciting.......................................... ..........................
Oh relax. I understand that you are a fan and I'm not holding it against you or the millions of others. That would be as silly as caring that millions watch fake wrestling(not that the fans are the same or anything like that [8D]). I also didn't make any comparisons to F1. I understand that they are different animals.

Speaking of F1's problems though - MS didn't win everything last year. The whole series is in flux right now. Also, the F1 organizational body(fascists that they are) have proposed a new wing that will allow drafting and that NASCAR slingshot action that you are fond of. So maybe someday soon, you will be able to enjoy F1 as well. Try to not get confused when you notice actual high tech innovations on the cars instead of school buses that look like rolling billboards derived from a "stock" car that no one would want to drive in the first place, locked in a constant left hand turn.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Senior Administrator

That would be as silly as caring that millions watch fake wrestling(not that the fans are the same or anything like that [8D]).
Rasslin'z as REAL as Jerry Springer, I'll have you kno (and, my cuzin'z lookin REAL HOT, rite 'bout now!!!)

Old 02-20-2006, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear

And wait a second, at last check, don’t they run at IMS (Indianapolis motor speedway) as well for the Brickyard 400? And at last check, so did F1?! That’s def. not a circle or an oval.
The course that NASCAR uses at Indy is most definitely an oval course. Same with Phoenix, there is an infield, NASCAR doesn't utilize it.

And saying that only 60% are ovals, come on now. If by that you mean that some have a slightly different shape, it doesn't matter. Left turns only equals and oval course, even if the shape isn't the goemetrical definition of an oval. They run three road courses (out of 32 races, not 60% is it?), Infineon, the Mexican AutoDromo, and Watkins Glen. Plus the Infineon race isn't even on the full course, it's shortened for the good ol boys.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

And wait a second, at last check, don’t they run at IMS (Indianapolis motor speedway) as well for the Brickyard 400? And at last check, so did F1?! That’s def. not a circle or an oval.
The course that NASCAR uses at Indy is most definitely an oval course. Same with Phoenix, there is an infield, NASCAR doesn't utilize it.

And saying that only 60% are ovals, come on now. If by that you mean that some have a slightly different shape, it doesn't matter. Left turns only equals and oval course, even if the shape isn't the goemetrical definition of an oval. They run three road courses (out of 32 races, not 60% is it?), Infineon, the Mexican AutoDromo, and Watkins Glen. Plus the Infineon race isn't even on the full course, it's shortened for the good ol boys.

Wait wait wait...so an oval can have 7 turns now? Damn...Ill have to retake Geometry so I can have a better understanding of how that is possible. I understand what your saying, but in order to make the point which you are making, you would have to re-define what an oval is. I was under the impression that an oval was: 1-Resembling an egg in shape. Im not being rediculous and saying that tracks like Daytona and Talladega are not ovals because they have a section which makes them bulge (the tri-oval), they are most def. ovals.However, to say that Indy is an oval? come on. If we are allowed to re-define a word to win a discussion, then hot-damn, ill have to try that. An oval is not defined anywhere as turning one direction, whether it be left or right.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:53 PM
4th Gear

If we are allowed to re-define a word to win a discussion, then hot-damn, ill have to try that.
You mean kinda like redefining NASCAR as something other than oval track racing?

Old 02-21-2006, 12:04 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: audi82

Yeah, my name is actually Andy, and I already had posted in the Real Names thread. I even looked up other posters in this thread, but just assumed with Toff. Oops.
name robbing bastard.. Wait till I get my hands on you!! Grrrr!

Old 02-21-2006, 12:05 AM
2nd Gear

You're holding the word "oval" in too high esteem here. My point is that the connotation of oval racing is left straight left straight and so on for interminably annoying miles. Go to www.nascar.com, look at their track list. They call Indy an oval. They call Phoenix an oval. They call all of the tracks with no right turns ovals. If NASCAR themselves call them ovals, who are you to act like they aren't. I'm not redefining any words, I'm pointing out what in means in the context we're using it in. There are three races for the entire 06 season that NASCAR doesn't qualify as ovals. Would you feel better about it if NASCAR reclassified Indy as a rounded rectangle? It's alsocalled circle track racing, but I don't see anyone out there with a huge compass to make sure that there isn't any deviation from a true circle.

Veheminently defending a subject using nothing more than contrived semantic arguements is all you're doing here, and all you've proven is that NASCAR salesmen (sorry, drivers.....) might have to make a harrowing three or four left turns instead of two.

Wow.

Quick Reply: Daytona 500