Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Daytona 500

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 03:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Daytona 500

ORIGINAL: pturbo

I grew up around racing, including NASCAR. I don't watch it much though. I'll probably watch some of the race today, but I would rather go to a road race. Cooler cars.

If NASCAR cars weren't built like ugly *** armored school buses (ie perfectly prepared for what all of the fans came to se - a big crash) and a few other changes, then it might be a more interesting form of racing.
The NASCAR cars are built as you describe them so that, unlike F1 (pencils with wheels), when involved in a crash, they actually have a chance at still being competitive. Id rather see that then a F1 car hit a wall and be done for the rest of the day. 2nd, I dont go to see a crash, I watch/go to see my driver. Just like any other form of motor sports, if you are not cheering for a driver, stay home and let someone who actually is a fan go see it! Sure, a crash can be entertaining, but more often then not it is just extremely distressing because your sitting there hoping your driver was not involved. I have been to some 15 odd races and the ones without wrecks were much more entertaining. In the same way, there are F1 fans out there who go hoping to see wrecks. That is true in ANY form of racing.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:18 PM
18T
4th Gear

I love F1!!!

Old 02-20-2006, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

Motor-racing is motor-racing. Cars, bikes, circle-track, off-road, trucks, Hydros, F1 boats, Snowmobiles...

Put two guys on kiddie-trikes and set them head-to-head and you @$$clowns'll watch it...

ADMIT IT and stop being snobs.

I know Andy'll at least halfway agree with me, right BFAM?!?!?
Umm...well...I kinda...don't really...kinda...like...you know...watching...too much...racing, kinda. Sorry to disappoint, but I feel dirty liking a sport where people wrecking at high speeds is about the only reason I watch. But it's nice that someone knows my name around here, if that was meant for me. Guess I'm a snob though : )

Old 02-20-2006, 01:51 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: audi82

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

Motor-racing is motor-racing. Cars, bikes, circle-track, off-road, trucks, Hydros, F1 boats, Snowmobiles...

Put two guys on kiddie-trikes and set them head-to-head and you @$$clowns'll watch it...

ADMIT IT and stop being snobs.

I know Andy'll at least halfway agree with me, right BFAM?!?!?
Umm...well...I kinda...don't really...kinda...like...you know...watching...too much...racing, kinda. Sorry to disappoint, but I feel dirty liking a sport where people wrecking at high speeds is about the only reason I watch. But it's nice that someone knows my name around here, if that was meant for me. Guess I'm a snob though : )
Yeah... Ummm... NO, I meant Toff.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:25 AM
1st Gear

Well, this is awkward then. I maybe shouldn't have assumed Toff was a name...

Old 02-20-2006, 06:07 AM
Senior Administrator

Or..., <digs toe into the ground while trying not to laugh> you cud stop by the <snicker> "Real Name" thread <snnkk-sniggle-sniggle> and put your name up so <snicker-snngggkkk-snicker> next time you'd have a reason to [&:] assume we know your name

Old 02-20-2006, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, my name is actually Andy, and I already had posted in the Real Names thread. I even looked up other posters in this thread, but just assumed with Toff. Oops.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Senior Administrator

QUICK!!! What's my name? What about Karl & Cheng? ...oops

Old 02-20-2006, 06:35 PM
4th Gear

So did anyone else doze off during the race? I sure am glad that ol' so-and-so won in his ugly *** car that no one wants. At least the pace car was kinda good looking.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Senior Administrator

So, WHO WON?!?!? I don't actually watch NASCAR NEmore... too boring. I get better action on my local freeway. More vehicular diversity, too

Quick Reply: Daytona 500