Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Curious if anyone is a banker or works for a bank, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:27 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Curious if anyone is a banker or works for a bank, need help!

I only mentioned "good faith" deposits because banks do dothem. The bank I worked for was a large nation-wide bank and we did them all the time even on larger amounts. i would do a wire or have the buyer get a cashiers check directly form their bank rather than the personal check they gave you, again neither one can be issued without the full amount available in their account.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Guru

i wasn't knocking you....... i was just saying to be safe, if you wanna deposit the check you have, tell the chic she has to wait till it is all said and done

Old 01-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

i'm always the banker in monopoly. we don't accept checks....just cash.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:50 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

i wasn't knocking you....... i was just saying to be safe, if you wanna deposit the check you have, tell the chic she has to wait till it is all said and done
I know. sorry, I sound like an ahole sometimes.

I would make the deposit and keep tabs on the status with your bank since Citi is lame and won't verify it for you. Definitely don't let that car go until the check has been paid by the buyers bank. How are they gonna get it to Jersey? Put it on truck? Fly out and drive back?

Old 01-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Senior Administrator

Kelly's policy notwithstanding...

I say its' looking less and less likely that this is legitimate. If it were a "guaranteed" negotiable instrument, as teh buyer suggests, there'd be no question. As it stands:
[ol][*]a business check, certified or not, for a personal purchase... suspect.[*]buyer intimates that funds are "certified," but they are not... suspect.[*]Bank won't acknowledge if funds exist or not, which leaves you without a way to verify funds prior to releasing the car... problematic, or time-consuming to wait for said negotiable instrument to clear, completely.[/ol]
Question, is teh buyer being pushy about releasing teh vehicle? If so, I say send her the check back and call off the deal. Too many iffy tyhings. If the buyers' being cool, then she should have no problem with waiting until teh funds "clear" and are deposited in your account. Send her teh car once the funds clear.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:47 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

...and, using "company-funds" for a personal transaction IS illegal, on several different levels, state AND federal.

This is sounding fishier and fishier...

Call the issuing bank and 100% verify teh funds. Ignore the information on the check. Call Citi from a number off of their website and go from there.

Keep us posted.

This is better than re-runs of Dallas!
exactly. and the fact that Citi Banks told you they can't verify the funds also makes it sound fishy. someone could have intentionally chosen that bank because they knew that fact. You did mention tho that they wouldn't verify personal checks but you said it was a certified business check...anyways, it being a "nice" woman who seems legit, would just make me suspect her more. women are devious. ask her if she's a redhead, if she says yes, just hang up the phone, walk away from the deal, and count yourself lucky you still have your ***** [8D] seriously. dont ever trust a redhead

Old 01-15-2008, 07:35 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

exactly. and the fact that Citi Banks told you they can't verify the funds also makes it sound fishy. someone could have intentionally chosen that bank because they knew that fact. You did mention tho that they wouldn't verify personal checks but you said it was a certified business check...anyways, it being a "nice" woman who seems legit, would just make me suspect her more. women are devious. ask her if she's a redhead, if she says yes, just hang up the phone, walk away from the deal, and count yourself lucky you still have your ***** [8D] seriously. dont ever trust a redhead
HAHAHAHA

Old 01-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Senior Administrator

I hadda laugh at that one, TOO!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:57 AM
SoCal Crew Member

I'm g-tech's wife. I've been in banking for almost 8 years. When I started reading your question, I knew itsounded like a scam. We have been getting a lot of fraud checks lately and scams. Like the Canadian/Australian lotteries. Where theysay you won a lottery but need to just send them the taxes and now you're out that money. If it sounds too good to be true then it definetly is. My advise...Don't do it. Good Luck.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:59 AM
SoCal Crew Member

hoped mywife helped you out

Quick Reply: Curious if anyone is a banker or works for a bank, need help!