Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Curious if anyone is a banker or works for a bank, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:08 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Curious if anyone is a banker or works for a bank, need help!

Having the money wired is really easy. Call your bankto get the correct routing info (often times it is different for wires) and double check if they have any fees associated with incoming wires. The fee at my old bank was like $7, not much but can **** you off if you didn't know about itahead of time. Also keep in mind that wires can take awhile to show, we used to have to tell people that they can be a couple hours or a few days just depending on how fast the paperwork is processed.

if you accepted and deposited the check and waited until fully cleared then you would be safe as well. Once the money has been paid by the other party's bank they can't come back and take itaway. If you already have the check I would go ahead and verify funds and, if good, deposit it. At that point the only thing keeping themoney from clearing would be a stop payment on the check itself. If the other party is intent on buying your car I don't think that would happen.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:14 AM
5th Gear

why does a diamond company in NY want your car? aren't you in Arizona?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:16 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for all the info man.

Yeah my dad is really against this whole check thing.. he claims its never safe. And it can show cleared then they can come take the money back out. Or something to that extent.. that doesn't seem possible in my eyes. Is it?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:19 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

A lady in New Jersey wants my car. She sent me her "Husbands certified business check"

It seems legit.. like she seems very real, and I can read inbetween the lines. But just the fact that my cars going to Jersey from here is scary. I gotta take all precautions and be careful.

Her husband either owns or takes part in this "Diamond Trading Company".. so it seems.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:29 AM
3rd Gear

Well the only way it would show as "cleared" is if your bank credited it to your account in a "good faith" sorta way. By doing that it would show as credited to the account before the other bank has officially paid the check. Other timesbanks will place a deposit hold on the check and not make funds available until the paying bank has paid the check. if in either situation the check came back with insufficient funds the money would be taken out of the account (if credited in "good faith") or the hold would be releasedwith no funds credited. In this case your bank can re-present it and hope the money is available the second time around. But if it were me I'd verify with Citi bank for funds availability and if they sayit's good to go then go ahead with the deposit.

With a wire on the other hand, once the money hits your account it is yours. The funds for both items (certified check and wires) have to be guaranteed as available before their bank can issue either one. Both have somesort of risk involved as with any large tranaction.

Just get in contact with Citi and go from there. Remember they're on EST so you'l want to call before like 5pm EST which is like 2pm PST.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:04 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Amze

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

A lady in New Jersey wants my car. She sent me her "Husbands certified business check"

It seems legit.. like she seems very real, and I can read inbetween the lines. But just the fact that my cars going to Jersey from here is scary. I gotta take all precautions and be careful.

Her husband either owns or takes part in this "Diamond Trading Company".. so it seems.
her husband would have to own it to use a company check to buy a car. random workers can't just use the business' funds to buy themselves car's.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Senior Administrator

...and, using "company-funds" for a personal transaction IS illegal, on several different levels, state AND federal.

This is sounding fishier and fishier...

Call the issuing bank and 100% verify teh funds. Ignore the information on the check. Call Citi from a number off of their website and go from there.

Keep us posted.

This is better than re-runs of Dallas!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:00 PM
4th Gear

I called "Citi Banks" They are not allowed to tell me if funds are avaliable on personal checks...sigh.

I just need to talk to her on the phone, and say look.. either you wire me the money. Or the deals off.

This is depressing[&o]

Old 01-15-2008, 03:04 PM
3rd Gear

Damn, that sucks. Well if they consider the check you have a personal check then the funds are NOT guaranteed. A wire would be a better solution then.

Ihopemy info washelpful.

Mike.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Guru

or tell the lady, you are going to deposit the check....... and she can have the car after the money has cleared the bank

if it is a check of substantial value....... say a 15,000 dollar check.... your bank will withhold the funds till the check clears..... most banks.... bigger ones that is, won't do "faith" deposits

Quick Reply: Curious if anyone is a banker or works for a bank, need help!