Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Console Systems.... PS3/Xbox360

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 AM
4th Gear
Default Console Systems.... PS3/Xbox360

Well... I've spent the past I'd say 7 years only playing PC games. I stopped playing console when I was 16yrs old. I know alot has change since then. A couple of months ago EA (Electronic Arts) announced they were no longer porting games to the PC. I always bought Madden every year for PC!!! SO now I am thinking of getting a console just for sports games...I am stuck at what I should purchase or consider. I honestly don't know much... I know that I want to be able to play ONLINE and graphics to look semi-decent. Is the PS3 still immature? The only reason I would get one is because of BLUE-RAY. is the PS3 backwards compatible? Can it play PS1/PS2 games? Same for Xbox 360...can it play Xbox games? How are "chips" these days? Are peopel still modding their systems with aftermarket chips so that you can play copied/burned games?

What kinda OS options are availble for Xbox? Are people putting Linux on that?

Any help would be great! I am sure by days end My knowledge will be better than it is now.

-Paul

Old 07-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Default RE: Console Systems.... PS3/Xbox360

I am a ps3 and 360 owner. Each is good in its own right. The "dashboard" menu feature of the xbox is superior to the XMB for the PS3, but the update that brings ingame menus to the ps3 might change that. The blu-ray is awesome, and if you have a HDTV, the PS3's graphics cannot be touched. Also, the free online play with the ps3 is a bonus. The ps3 is backwards compatible if you buy the most expensive version. I have not tried the xbox, i just got it last week. All i know is Ps3+ Call of Duty 4 is about equal to a slight crack high. Damn near nirvana. Second only to crusin in the audi

Hope this helps. Just ask if any other questions arise.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:53 AM
3rd Gear

Both are great for online gaming, and I think both are backwards compatible. Well some, my PS3 is the 40gig version and cant play my PS2 games, the 80gig version does however. The Blu-Ray is good but only really worth it if you're hooking up to a HDTV. Graphics on both are good and you probably wouldnt be able to notice much of a difference. I'm not sure if the XBOX is also able to browse internet like you can on the PS3, I think ThePaintballGuy installed linux on his PS3. It really boils down to preference, I wanted Blu-Ray and I like how the PS controllers havent changed much so its easy to move onto the newestconsole. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:30 PM
4th Gear

Xbox online (game playing) isnt free?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:38 PM

nope. Monthly charge for xbox live. Boo.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:40 PM
4th Gear

thats gh3y

Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

i personally prefer the xbox 360, i just think the game selection is better...maybe ps3 will finally step up their game with some more good titles, but still too expensive for my taste when i really only want to play like 3 games for it.

ps...the 360 is technically backwards-compatible with SOME regular xbox games. i have about 15, with some big titles like doom 3 and morrowind, yet the ONLY games i can play are Halo 1+2

my .02

Old 07-07-2008, 01:47 PM
4th Gear

hmmm...

Old 07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
4th Gear

I have PS3 and I have friends with 360's. I have played both and personally the only good thing about the 360 is the Halo Series. Other than that PS3 ftw! Especially since the new update just made it so you can access the XMB (menu system for the PS3 including messaging, ect) while in games now. Plus having the free online is awesome! Blue-Ray FTW! And yes, I do have linux installed on my PS3... however I haven't really used it much. I just did it to see if it was possible... and it is! HAHA Oh and if you want more HDD space the HDD is user replaceable. Sony also just announced that HOME will be coming to the PS3 this fall which means that they are going to allow 3rd party (ie, you and me) to start building programs and apps for the ps3. That will be cool. Hope this helps!

Josh

Old 07-07-2008, 03:04 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Get a 360 and wait for HD-DVD's dramatic return!!!

Quick Reply: Console Systems.... PS3/Xbox360