Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

college computer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 05:16 PM
18T
4th Gear
Default RE: college computer?

NEVER EVER EVER buy a computer from any company like dell, or crappaq.. er i mean compaq!

Alwats build your own or buy a barebone system that comes with all the hardware you need.. you can find them pretty cheap around 300$ for a really good system. i will give you the link some time later today.

you can build an extremely good system that can destroy all the computers put together at your local bestbuy for around 500$ assuming you have a monitor already.

Do not go Dell, Compaq, HP, or any other gay company that steals your money.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:28 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 18T

NEVER EVER EVER buy a computer from any company like dell, or crappaq.. er i mean compaq!

Alwats build your own or buy a barebone system that comes with all the hardware you need.. you can find them pretty cheap around 300$ for a really good system. i will give you the link some time later today.

you can build an extremely good system that can destroy all the computers put together at your local bestbuy for around 500$ assuming you have a monitor already.

Do not go Dell, Compaq, HP, or any other gay company that steals your money.
Unlike most of us, we know how to bulid computers from ground up. This guy doesn't have a clue so its probably better for him to get something that just plug and play. I used to work at bestbuy and they don't get you what you need. They alway try to get you out the door with the most items in your cart. Dell systems are not the best but they are do able and good price if you wait for the best deal.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:02 PM

it u go to ISTNC they only list parts that will work toegther.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:41 PM
6th Gear

If you care about customer service, stay the heck away from Dell. I don't know how many hours i've been on the phone with Dell getting transfered around because no one there knows what's going on.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Administrator

ohh and whatever you do dont buy one of those Sony pieces of crap.. they make good TV's but horrible computers

Old 02-26-2006, 09:56 PM
5th Gear

Just buy something used, unless you will be using power hungry software... but the average student could get by with 256mb of ram and a pentium III 800mhz... Probably get something like that complete with a 17" CRT monitor for like 300 bucks. :P

Old 02-26-2006, 10:12 PM
3rd Gear

Just buy a TI-82. LOL.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

Just buy something used, unless you will be using power hungry software... but the average student could get by with 256mb of ram and a pentium III 800mhz... Probably get something like that complete with a 17" CRT monitor for like 300 bucks. :P
wat r u smoking bent? that is so slow, a student will need more than that, unless u dont wanna use internet, and want to wait forever for downloads, programs to load and just hate ur computer.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

I started college with one of those pre-packaged systems and gradually learned more to the point where I was able to build one. If you have no clue how where to start, get something like that and then learn how to build computers from someone around you. By the time you figure it out, your current computer will suck anyway.

Also, I'd recommend a laptop for sure, if you have the money. I was always into the performance of a desktop until I ponied up for a laptop, and I'd never consider going back. (You can't really build a laptop.) Your campus will probably have wireless routers everywhere, and you'll get sick of using computer labs for group projects when you could have used a laptop.

Dan908 is right about choosing a computer based on your major. What are you thinking about doing?

Old 02-27-2006, 12:44 AM

sorry i didn't reply.. i went to work.

alright, i haven't figured out a budget yet because ill use some money that i get for graduation or borrow it or something. maybe around a $800-$1000? it sounds like ill want a laptop... the campus im going to (grand valley state university (thats michigan)) is wireless in every building. im going into business as of now. i do like to game a little (age of empires III will be my next) so i need decent performance i guess.

Quick Reply: college computer?