Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Cloverfield Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Default RE: Cloverfield Review

Damn!

I have to try to see it tonight.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:48 AM
4th Gear

Meh. See it in the theater for the full effect, but my advice for the most part is rent the DVD and watch it once. The ending was a bit too anti-climactic; the monster is never explained, we are never shown the aftermath... Lots and lots of suspense buildup, good premise at the beginning, the handy-cam style was interesting and I think had the desired effect. But in the end it leaves you wanting just something more than the film gives you, and I can't stand movies like that.

My biggest complaint is that the entire movie is all about building up suspense (and it does an amazing job of that in several places); but it never settles it completely - the ending doesn't really fully complete the story arc. I like the idea that maybe they couldrelease some kind of viral "after the monster" video on the interweb, but I doubt they'd do something like that.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:27 PM
2nd Gear

Im going to see it right now, ill let you guys know what I think of it.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:09 PM
2nd Gear

All I can say is **** that movie. It took about 45 minutes to get into action. Then it was pretty exciting. Then it ended all of a sudden. Dont waste 10 bucks!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

I thought it was pretty freakin awsome.

but thats just me..

Old 01-19-2008, 10:30 PM
4th Gear

after reading that other review i may actually see it

Old 01-20-2008, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

Saw the movie this afternoon ... I gotta say, I loved it ... great concept (beyond Blair Witch). I have to agree though with MrFlippant, I wasn't too thrilled about the ending. There was something missing ...

The only way they could make another movie (and satisfy our appetite for a better ending)is if they did the same movie through the perspective of another person that either caught up with the monster earlier or later ... and if it was ever destroyed.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:15 AM
2nd Gear

I got sick from the camera shaking after about 20 minutes. It was an ok movie, just WAY too short and the ending told you NOTHING. But it was a cool concept just weakly done in my opinion.

Question for people who saw it: Did anyone see the object falling out of the sky at the end when Beth and Rob were at coney island? Apparently something small crashes into the ocean but I never noticed it when I watched it. But other people are saying they did.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

I thought the movie was amazing. If you're a fan of LOST, you will undoubetdly be into this movie. While the ending left many people boo-ing when the credits rolled, you have to remember it's not so much a story about the "monster," but about the journey of these people. I'm hoping for a sequel, which JJ abrams so nicely set up. He's great at leaving the audience wanting more (usually answers).

And as it is done in LOST, there are subtle clues that help reveal answers not superficially seen.

It's an experience. This movie is done thinkingoutside the box. I'd suggest opting to see it in a theater, though, to get the full feel.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:14 PM
4th Gear

I'm with the pro's on this.

It was a great movie.

Funny, no one mentions the underlining video. A guy and girl - who from the story you learn were best friends - fall in love and spent a great day together only to have it recorded overbya tragic story. Thought that was great movie making.

Yeah, it took a little while to pick up - but hey, you got to be able to care somewhat about these people. Gave it a whole different feel. Like Blair Witch it's completely different film making - and 100x better imho.

As for plot - this is a sequence of events ( like Blair Witch ) that carries you through to a conclusion. Not plot twists or turns - you want that go rent any of the Bourne movies. You're not going to see big segments of dialog - just people being people in a overwhelming moment in time. Again, I thought it was well done.

Yes it was short - but I bet if it was longer peeps would b!tch about that lol

It was a good movie and I'm curious if they'll do a sequal explaining a different point of view - or better yet - just a continuation of the situation, but in a different perspective.

That's my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Cloverfield Review