Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Cloverfield Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 AM
2nd Gear
Default Cloverfield Review

Tonight I saw Cloverfield at CU, we have a sneak peak night for all the new movies coming out before they're in theaters, and they're free! Its also for all the critics and media to view also.

So with all the hype of the movie I'm going to give it my own review without giving too much of the movie away.

Overall I thought I ideas behind the making of the movie were very interesting and a good approach. I do not think it would be the same if filmed with a normal style of static cameras, tracks, etc. The beginning of the film started slow and make you wonder if it was ever going to get interesting. After an almost painful dull build up the movie began to take shape with what little seen from previews. From here on in was non stop thriller action with only slight breaks from the action. The camera angle during the majority of the action seemed to be constantly looking the wrong way or at the ground while running... reminded me of a new Blairwitch. The decisions made by the actors left most of us in question and really thinking WTF.

In the end I believe it was a good ideawith a different cameraperspective that often gave you the sensation of actually being in the movie. However it failed to get the adrenaline flowing all but only two or three times. The story line was a bit strange, there was no real plot, and the ending was a shame; nothing was resolved or explained while a simple news cut might have summarized everything. I'm thinking if enough people see it they might come out with a sequel but have no idea what they could really continue on... maybe they should just make a epilogue short clip. And finally it seemed cut off and was sadly short compared to most movies.

Rating: 2.5/5

I recommend seeing it simply for the experience as it is a very unique movie with its own style but waiting for the DVD may be the better choice. Hard to go into much detail without ruining the movieas I could go on and on.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Cloverfield Review

nice review .... I am on the fence about seeing this movie the only reason I would go would be to see what the monster is. Did the camera work give you motion sickness? could you see how it might? I saw the comercial and dont know if I could handle 80 minutes of a camera swinging back and forth. How bout you put up a *Spoiler Alert* review and describe the monster in detail. It would save me about 10 bucks and a headache from the jerky camera work. i would really apreciate it.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 PM

Wow, thanks for that reveiw man. I saw the original trailer months ago and thought it looked cool so checked it out online. From what I was able to read up on, the director had seen Godzilla and wanted to re-create the "monster attacking a major city" taking place in america. I personally am nota fan of the whole "handycam" idea, only cause I knew the entire experience would lead back to Blairwitch references. Ill be seeing this movie tomorrow night regardless.... the concept is just too cool not to see.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:53 PM
4th Gear

so what your saying is it pretty much blairwitch project in NY.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:01 PM
2nd Gear

I can see the whole Godzilla idea behind it as the first glimse you get of the thing its hanging off a building. I was surprised I didnt get motionsick(some reason I got a little motion sick duringThe Kingdom)because it was a lot of running with the camera but I did find my head tilting to some strange angles to compensate for te angle of the camera.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:31 AM
2nd Gear

so what is the thing/ monster. can you PM me if you dont want to spoil it for anyone. b/c i am not going to see it. thanks

Old 01-18-2008, 02:38 AM

ill wait until it hits the dollar theatre to watch it, thanks for the review!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:42 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: scotts custom

so what is the thing/ monster. can you PM me if you dont want to spoil it for anyone. b/c i am not going to see it. thanks
PM me the samething, ill honestly say ill never see the movie becasue it will most likely give me a headache

Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 AM

I cant wait to see this tonight. I found a website with spoilers, and "artist renditions" of what the monster looks like

http://www.kidreviewer.com/2008/01/c...ield-2008.html

Old 01-18-2008, 01:31 PM
3rd Gear

"It wasn't Voltron, it wasn't a whale, it wasn't Cthulu, but it was one big ugly mess!"

Woo guess i dont owe anyone 10$

SCAREY!!!

Quick Reply: Cloverfield Review