Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

clay bar?? car got owned...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:15 PM
1st Gear
Default clay bar?? car got owned...

has anyone used the california gold clay bars (or any brand) on your paint? i have heard some good and not so good things about it. my car has got bird **** on and some serious scratches like 4 days in a row now from the birds. I live in a somewhat rural area with a lot of birds. Im not sure if the bird is seeing its reflection in my windows and attacking it or what. but its getting ridiculous, im worried for my paint. the scratches they cause are fairly deep and extensive. any other ideas to get the scratches out/marks from the poop? Thanks a lot

Old 05-15-2007, 12:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: clay bar?? car got owned...

I just recently used a clay bar on mine....worked okay, just got a slight layer of dirt that the wash didn't get off. I think it was the Mother's Clay kit- I had alot of scratches too. Got some Turtle wax polishing compound. It was able to get out some of the light scratches. Just make sure to you always use a clean soft cloth when wiping off.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:42 PM
3rd Gear

If you can find some GS27, that always worked on light scratches.... by the way, i had a freind who had a bird that would fly in front of his side mirrors and poop all over car. it was crazy

Old 05-15-2007, 12:49 PM
4th Gear

I would get a car cover, wash, clay bar, polish then put the cover on it.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:50 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: myaudi98

If you can find some GS27, that always worked on light scratches.... by the way, i had a freind who had a bird that would fly in front of his side mirrors and poop all over car. it was crazy
Yea well you also have beavers stuck to your car, so that's a bit different! [sm=happybounce.gif] j/k

Old 05-15-2007, 01:22 PM
3rd Gear

Clay bar DOES NOT remove scratches. It can in fact put in scratches. All clay does is remove imbedded contaminates in the paint. If you got lots of poop, just wash the car, & make sure to really hose off the poop before you scrub, birds eat tiny rocks to help digestion, & guess where they come out?

The only way to remove scratches, is with a cleaner, or polish. You really need a rotary polisher to get the full effect.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Senior Administrator

There was a short piece in Junes Pop-Mech, in teh auto-care section, about getting out deep scratches. haven't needed to try it, yet, cuz all my deep scratches come with bent aluminum, so it'd be pointless, for me. But, check it out. May have some useful info for you.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:55 PM
4th Gear

i actaully just bought some instant detailer for lube and took a 200g bar of clay from work, did wonders for the car, even made the front bumper which looked like it was spray painted look a hell of a lot better, i do have some califonia gold i use to detail people cars on the side with works good, for scratches you need a good polish and buff.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the replies. i ended up using turtle wax rubbing compound on the entire car. after that i used mothers gold wax. its worked really well, the car shines. its black, it used to look swirly in the sun and seemed faded, but now has a deep shine. its awesome

Old 05-17-2007, 12:02 AM
4th Gear

too bad your in new york, i buff cars for fun, cant wait till i save up enough this summer for my milwaukee buffer.

Quick Reply: clay bar?? car got owned...