Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Children of Men

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:01 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Children of Men

ORIGINAL: BAMF

I agree! What an excellent movie. I had to go get the book after seeing it twice. I liked the way they used imagery alone to tell so much of the story. There are so many things you pick up on that are unspoken. Ah geez, I'm gonna have to go watch it now! I'm getting no sleep tonight, thanks!

The movie did receive an academy award nomination for its single shot scenes, but they are not actual single shots. They are stitched together from multiple shots and aided by CGI in some cases (in the long car ride scene, the roof of the car was CGI).

One interesting tidbit: Michael Caine's character is supposed to be like an older John Lennon; he knew him personally and built the character around his personal experiences with Lennon. Pretty cool.

Oh, I almost forgot, the flying pig is a reference to the Pink Floyd album Animals.

Sweet; the reference to Animals totally makes sense. Now I'll have to go listen to that album again before the next time I watch this movie!

I know the continuous shots aren't always done in one take; it's a fact of life thatthe director isgoing to like certain parts of one take better than another, or that just one little thing in an otherwise perfect take might be wrong. And CGI is so commonplace nowadays, it's just like another basic tool in the hands of a filmmaker.But it's the end product which is important, editing the film in this way creates a tremendously fluid overall feeling. If anyone has seen the film "Serenity" (based on the TV show "Firefly"), you might recall that the opening scene is a continuous shot. But if you look closely, about halfway through you can see where they had to cut two halves together. I'm sure after I've watched "Children of Men" a couple more times, I'll catch those a little quicker