Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Changed my oil (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 03:54 PM
2nd Gear
Default Changed my oil (rant)

I needed to change my oil, so I figured I'd take it to my friends shop class and do it myself there and make it a little easier by using a lift. Not to mention the stupid home owners association ***** on my street fine you $70 for working on cars.

So anyway, I get it on the lift without any trouble, get the skidplate off, and start draining my oil. After it finished draining, I move on to the filter. Apparently, the last person to work on my car was the incredible hulk. The filter was on so tight that I broke an oil filter wrench, cracked the old filter, and it was still stuck. I lowered the car and tried a different approach by taking off the coolant resovior. Still couldn't get it off. I even tried putting channel locks on the filter and muscling it out. Finally, after just about everyone in the shop had tried, the teacher came over and gave it a try. By now, my friends were telling my that I should think about calling a tow truck since the shop closes at 10pm, and it was about 9:30. Finally, at 9:40, we got it off, using a smaller, different filter wrench that barely fit on the filter. We replaced the filter, got the car down, and checked for leaks. Nothing. I lifted it back up, put the skidplate back on, and left. That was the longest oil change I'd ever done. It took me from 8:30 till 9:45 all because some idiot at the dealership over tightened the filter.

Alright, I got my rant out. At least now I know its not over tightened.

Old 07-08-2005, 03:57 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Changed my oil (rant)

Hmm sounds like you had fun. That's messed up you cant work on your car in your own drive way.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:03 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, the guy across the street from me was changing a core plug on his car, when he was caught they slapped him with a $70 fine. He figured its a $5 part, and a $70 fine: $75 vs $300 to have a shop do it. He went down to the board meeting the next week and thanked them for it.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:44 PM
rs
2nd Gear

wtf, why cant u work on ur cars?

Old 07-08-2005, 07:43 PM
5th Gear

next time just puncture the filter with a large screw driver and wrench on it with that, that's helped me many times

Old 07-08-2005, 08:44 PM
6th Gear

Yep, exactly. Screw driver always gets it out for me!

Old 07-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Senior Administrator

Didja remember to wipe a lil of teh old oil around teh rubber seal of the NEW filter? Cud be that teh prev knucklehead din't to that... The engine heat can cause teh rubber to vulcanize (read: weld itself) to the engine, sometimes...

Old 07-09-2005, 04:36 AM

explain the screwdriver thing again. I sometimes have troubkle with the filter. Never takes me that long but sometimes like 10 min. Its annoying.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:40 AM
5th Gear

just jam a screwdriver (the bigger the better) into the filter itself and use it for torque

Old 07-09-2005, 04:55 AM
Senior Administrator

Make DOUBLE-DAMN sure that your replacement filter is the CORRECT replacement filter if you go that route, or, have a second car, or buddy handy to drive you to the auto parts store, if it turns out not to be the right one...

(I speak frum experience[&:])

Quick Reply: Changed my oil (rant)