Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Careers in performance/tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 06:38 PM
3rd Gear
Default Careers in performance/tuning?

Ok so I have always considered a career in automotive. Recently I had interned at a Autoshop that my dad's friend owns. After just a few weeks I was overly bored with the regular service aspect of the job (constant drum brake adjustments, tire rotations, wheels balancing, oil changes, etc..). But as soon as a car would come in that needed to be diagnosed or like this one honda prelude that need its LSD fixed and a Centerforce clutch put in, I was way more into it. So idk, I'm just wondering if there really is a good career in the tuning/performance field rather than just the general auto service business. I know you can always try to start up your own tuner shop, but are those hit or miss? Just lookin for some input/advice...I'm young and only in my first year of college, so I have time to decide/change my mind.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:12 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Careers in performance/tuning?

I don't know much about it, but I do know that to have a successful tuner shop - where you do more than change mufflers and patch tires all day(and on boring cars) - you need to be in an area that is densely populated - like LA, parts of the Northeast corridor, Atlanta, maybe Dallas/Ft Worth, Chicago area(there are others, but you get the idea). Why such density? Because while everyone on AF may be into modding, most people are just into putting the key in and making it to where they are going. So you need a big population to have enough people that want to mod their cars AND have the money to spend on it. My 2 cents.