Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Career as a audi mechanic? Salary, job info wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Default RE: Career as a audi mechanic? Salary, job info wanted

if you want to make good money as a audi tech the best place to go is the dealership. It usually always has alot of work. The way mechanics are paid is based of a labor manual. The way this works is for example........say you get a replce timing belt job on a a4, shop manual says this is a 8 hour job. now if you finished it in 4 hours (which most good mechnic can complete a job in half the manuals given time) and do another timing belt job, then you just got paid for 16 hours. but dont be fooled and think all you have to do is hustle and get jobs done fast to make a ton of loot, this manual also cause you to lose money, example.......replace heater core job is 6 hours, now if its some kids car that ahas a boost controller and radio and integrated radar detector, it will tac on time to you doing the job, hopefully the dealership will charge for this but even so they might only give you one hour on it (even though they would charge for 2). Plus in order to get to the level of a master mechanic that can finish a job in half the time be prepared to be paying around 900 a month for your tools. You will have more invested in your tools than you can imagine (the snap on man was my best friend and worst enemy). And your thinking i can save money and use craftsman.......sorry to tell you those tools suck for a professional, they have great warranties but if you break a tool you lose money plus snappy dosent charge interest on there financing. i worked as a mechanic for 2 performance shops and 1 dealership, the money was really good but the work is very hard (at the dealership, the speed shops money sucked). if its something you want to do because you love working on cars go to a trade school and get ase certified then apply at audi or vw dealerships ( i say that cause im sure you dont have 5 different audi's within a few miles of you house) and then they will train you on the specific models i.e you will have to be a8 certified or Q7 certified etc.

i hope this helps.....

Old 02-03-2006, 12:47 PM
2nd Gear

Anyone who works on Audi's for the money is gonna fail (I think). You need to have a genuine love for our cars to be good at fixing them.
Also (IMO), there ave very few tech guys out there and by that i mean, people who actually have diagnostic talent. A lot of Mechanics just run through a list of things that MAY be wrong and hope that they get it right sooner rather than later.

I would also suspect that the guys on big dollars have :

1, a love for our cars
2, at least 10 years experience
3, the ability to run a workshop and delegate responsibility

Old 01-18-2007, 01:58 PM

Qualified experienced Audi mechanic wanted immediately. Will work in direct coordination with Audi factories to monitor customer experience and provide reliable maintenance and repair to Audi vehicles available only to a special few. Hours are 50 hrs per week. Travel required but not daily. German language proficiency a plus.

Send resume, desired location and salary requirements to Audi.Enthusiast@hotmail.com

Old 12-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Lightbulb Job and salary expectations

I found this information for you:

In the department of Labor I've found this: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos181.htm, this article explains what are the occupational expectations of an automotive mechanic.

Then especifically for an audi mechanic I've found useful information here:
http://www.automechanicschools.com/a...mechanics.html

There are many more related articles you can find useful on the left too.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
3rd Gear

I doubt hardly any tech's make 6 figure salaries even at the dealer. The average for a good master tech is probably 60k and that's a position you earn not one you apply for. Starting salary for a regular tech at a dealer is probly 30-40k and it all depends on how your payed. I forget which is which but if your payed by the hours the job calls for it all depends if you can get the job done faster then what the book calls for. If you take longer you get payed the same. Some places do pay by actual work time though (or whichever is higher).

Old 12-30-2008, 02:24 PM
4th Gear

maybe in 06 when this thread started VERY few could make 100k... i doubt a mechanic is making that now...

Old 12-30-2008, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by theTTkid
maybe in 06 when this thread started VERY few could make 100k... i doubt a mechanic is making that now...
Lol I didn't realize it was old at least I wasnt the one that brought it back though lol.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:01 PM
2nd Gear
Old 12-30-2008, 03:21 PM

the avg auto mechanic salary in my area (seattle) is 45K. yet the avg audi mechanic salary is 120k (also seattle)...acording to simplyhired.com!

Old 12-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rbrtech
But you do have to love the cars you work on and dont be in for the money because you will not make any money. Be in it for the customer, the car, and the love. Then the money will come.
Well-put and stands true for many other careers as well.

Quick Reply: Career as a audi mechanic? Salary, job info wanted