Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

CAR SURVEY! Get to know us and our cars.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Default RE: CAR SURVEY! Get to know us and our cars.

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

ORIGINAL: Belligerenceā„¢

chaos - I was just reading some of the articles you linked to, and I must say that I'm intrigued. I really didn't know that there was that much conflicting information out there. one point I will make though is the issue of marijuana being a "gateway drug". in other words, if little johnny thinks it's ok to try weed, what's stopping him from trying acid when he's bored with blunts? when acid isn't fun anymore, well there's always meth, right?
ya i was reading some articles in JAMA that conflicted with some of my points.
Most cannabis research within the USA is funded by government agencies who in turn publish position papers citing research studies that spotlight the negative consequences of cannabis use. In light of this, some people question whether these agencies make an honest effort to present an accurate, unbiased summary of the evidence, or whether they "cherry-pick" their data, and others caution that the raw data, and not the final hypothesis, is what should be examined.
thats the best reason i found as to why there is so much conflicting data. which is why i try to go deeper than just reading something i hear and believing it. and from my experience i have found more to support my claims than reject them. when it comes down to it, we just dont know enough about the substances. everything seems to cause cancer nowadays[&:] so its hard to pinpoint just which carcinogens are the culprits and which are not.
good point. christ, it seems like there's a new cancer-causing agent discovered in an every-day household product every week. I think it's obvious that there needs to be more research done on it, and people need to be educated on it. the issue is, how do you convince taxpayers to persuade politicians to spend tax dollars on research into a recreational drug? I think the argument I'm trying to make is why should it be a priority?

as for the gateway drug thing, i disagree. to some extent it may be true, but shooting up meth and smoking weed are soooooooooo different its not even funny. it pisses me off when some people think that because i smoke weed that im one of those druggies. it takes a certain kind of person to start shooting up meth and heroin or smoking crack. that is a WHOLE nother level of drugs. i stick to weed, alcohol, and every like 6-12 months i'll trip on shrooms (no acid tho). thats the most intense drugs i will do, and most of my friends are the same. they wont touch anything else either. i wont do exstacy because of whats in it, and every other drug is just too hardcore for my tastes. so weed isn't a gateway drug for me or any of my friends. the ones who decide shooting up meth or smoking crack is a good idea are complete fukin morons. weed can be equivalated with alcohol in terms of effects (kinda) except your much more in control of your actions and can function properly. so is alcohol a gateway drug? if anything it is alcohol that first gets some kids to start smoking weed. they start drinking and going to parties cuz its "cool" and then someone at the party has weed and little johhny wants to try some since everyone else is doing it. (this is actually how i started smoking weed BTW)
I do agree that it takes a certain type of person to want to do meth or heroin or crack. however, you must also concede that there is a percentage of the population out there who could go either way, and it's those kids who are at risk of being "druggies" if they're exposed to any drug, including marijuana or alcohol for that matter. I think it's naive to say "oh well, it could happen to anyone I guess, just takes a certain type of person to start shooting up meth and heroin or smoking crack."

as for ecstacy, I agree that sh*t is scary. I've done it a few times, and I'll admit I liked it, it's a lot of fun. but when I found out what it does to your spinal fluid, I haven't touched it since. I have a friend who's into a lot of drugs, both hardcore and otherwise. he does a LOT of ecstacy, and now every time he does it, he gets a really sore back the next day. that's just f*cked up in my opinion, so I won't put that stuff in my body anymore.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:07 AM
5th Gear

I think the argument I'm trying to make is why should it be a priority?
bingo. it should just be legalized and have a surgeon general's warning just like cigarettes do. then leave it up to people to decide wether they want to smoke it or not.

I do agree that it takes a certain type of person to want to do meth or heroin or crack. however, you must also concede that there is a percentage of the population out there who could go either way, and it's those kids who are at risk of being "druggies" if they're exposed to any drug, including marijuana or alcohol for that matter. I think it's naive to say "oh well, it could happen to anyone I guess, just takes a certain type of person to start shooting up meth and heroin or smoking crack."
i agree with you there, but a person should be responsible for their own actions. if they are going to consciously make the decision to do hardcore drugs than thats their decision, and they are going to have to live with it. you can't just shelter people and make it seem like there are no drugs out there. they need to know about them, and more importantly be educated about them, and then make a decision wether or not they should do them. sit kids down and show them what crack and meth do to addicts and how bad they are. but weed is not one of these drugs. many successful people smoke weed. i just dont get why alcohol is legal but weed is not alcohol is so much more dangerous than weed is in every aspect.

as for ecstacy, I agree that sh*t is scary. I've done it a few times, and I'll admit I liked it, it's a lot of fun. but when I found out what it does to your spinal fluid, I haven't touched it since. I have a friend who's into a lot of drugs, both hardcore and otherwise. he does a LOT of ecstacy, and now every time he does it, he gets a really sore back the next day. that's just f*cked up in my opinion, so I won't put that stuff in my body anymore.
ya thats why i never tried it and dont plan on it. i know i'll love it lol. a couple of my friends back home like to roll a lot but after what i heard was in it and that whole spinal fluid thing, i wont touch it.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:22 AM
4th Gear

This is really funny to read. At least you guys are getting along now. LOL

Josh

Old 04-03-2007, 12:30 AM

ORIGINAL: ThePaintballGuy

This is really funny to read. At least you guys are getting along now. LOL

Josh
actually, as far as I'm concerned we've been "getting along" throughout this entire debate/conversation. I'm sure brian agrees. it is possible, believe it or not, to have a debate (and about a pretty heated topic in this case) without getting defensive about it and letting it turn into a flame war.

glad it was entertaining though. I'd like to apologize to zrwhat for completely jacking her thread, sorry vanessa!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:35 AM
5th Gear

actually, as far as I'm concerned we've been "getting along" throughout this entire debate/conversation. I'm sure brian agrees. it is possible, believe it or not, to have a debate (and about a pretty heated topic in this case) without getting defensive about it and letting it turn into a flame war.

glad it was entertaining though. I'd like to apologize to zrwhat for completely jacking her thread, sorry vanessa!
lol ditto. notice how none of us called eachother names and tried to attack the person rather than the arguement. i hate those arguements, they go nowhere.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:13 AM
5th Gear

NOOOOOOOOOO[sm=noooo.gif]

Old 04-03-2007, 02:22 AM

^^ huh?[&:]

Old 04-03-2007, 02:37 AM
5th Gear

there was a post before mine from vanessa saying she was leaving. mod musta deleted it or sumthin

Old 04-03-2007, 02:48 AM
Zombie Defense Force

ya i was wondering the same thing. this thread got shorter. obtw 6 more post tell im in the top ten

Old 04-03-2007, 02:52 AM

there was a post before mine from vanessa saying she was leaving. mod musta deleted it or sumthin
ohh. that's strange. hopefully no one said anything they'll regret later.

Quick Reply: CAR SURVEY! Get to know us and our cars.