Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Car Max

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:19 PM
3rd Gear
Default Car Max

Has anyone sold a car to them? I'm selling my 2002 Honda Accord and just want to get rid of it without any hassle. I'm looking for $14k since that is the blue book. It's a special edition with leather and fully loaded. I'm sick of the Audi being parked in the garage just because I don't like to put miles on it or get it dirty. It's a shame that such a beautiful car sits without driving. Save some money too.

I just thought I would try Car Max to see what they said. It's always been fully serviced and has new tires w/ tinted windows.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:55 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Car Max

I've never sold a car to them, but my guess would be that (like any other dealer) you will get more for your car if you are buying another one from Carmax at the time. If not, they have no reason to pay any more for your car than they would have to pay at a dealer auction - and that isn't going to be full bluebook.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:16 PM
4th Gear

Carmax sux *****. we bought a Isuzu Trooper from them for 11000$ and had it for a year, it was my dads toy and over the whole year he put less than 1000 miles and never off roaded or anything, we took it back and they were only willing to give us 7500$ max, we walked out and sold it privatley and got 9800$. Also when i was doing detailing on Carmax cars i noticed in the "shop" alot of the cars in "decent " condition with minor dents or things were being bondowed and new parts were coming in to repair minor damage. pturbos right sell it on your own. Carmax will F you over.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:54 AM
3rd Gear

Yeah, I'm going to try and sell it on my own too. I just want to get rid of it by September 1st. That's my goal.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:07 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: SAudi

Carmax sux *****. we bought a Isuzu Trooper from them for 11000$ and had it for a year, it was my dads toy and over the whole year he put less than 1000 miles and never off roaded or anything, we took it back and they were only willing to give us 7500$ max, we walked out and sold it privatley and got 9800$. Also when i was doing detailing on Carmax cars i noticed in the "shop" alot of the cars in "decent " condition with minor dents or things were being bondowed and new parts were coming in to repair minor damage. pturbos right sell it on your own. Carmax will F you over.

I wouldn't say the Fecked you over or tryed. Car dealler (expesialy used) don't run on wishes and fairy dust. they gotta make money somehow. No matter where you sold it, if it wasn't to another person, your not going to get what its worth. As for my car. I'm just gonna drive it into the water. cus the insurance will give me more than I can get anywere. (wishfull thinking.)

Old 07-11-2006, 04:27 AM
4th Gear

You are wise flyboy iguess oyu are right.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:35 AM

Car max buys your car at what they think they could buy it for at an auction. A dealer bases it off somewhat of a percent below what they could sell it for (i think based mostly off KBB's retail price). Unlike in a car dealership car max's price will not change if u are going to buy a car b/c tehy are to different parts of teh co. My bro was looking at a car there and they said it didnt matter if we bought the car or not.

Car max will buy ur car and give u a check that wont bounce but it is based mostly for ppl that need money badly, if ur not in dier (sp?) need of cash i would not sell to them and if i was going to buy another car from a dealer just trade it in there, they will work with u car max wont. But like in every situation car max will not budge on price and private party selling gets u a better deal just like buying from a private party or buying wholesale. B/c ur cutting out the middleman's piece of the action.